This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 1/15/2011 10:48 PM PST
How would you compare australia to America? differences? people, food, style... what they do for fun?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/28/2010 12:06 AM PST
I've lived my whole life in Australia and reading through that the first time a thought a lot of it was just stereotyping but then a thought about it and a lot of it is actually true. I've grown up wearing thongs and a lot boys at my school are into sports. Though I've read a lot of stereotypical books and yes they do go a little over the top. Like a pet kangaroo...yeah I'm pretty sure I'd get into trouble with RSPCA for keeping one of those is my backyard.

Posted: 1/10/2010 10:07 PM PST
Poetlife
LOL you other ignorent countries,who have not visited here,yes Australia, this great Southern land-Under the southern cross stars. We are about "Fair dinkum mate". Give everyone a fair go".You want to read some of my & other entries about Australia? Then you are most welcome to come read my projects in we book-titled"We are Australia".& "Inferno of Australia".If you like? Best wishes to you all for 2010.Good day & best wishes to you all.

Posted: 11/25/2009 11:12 PM PST
I think you can make it work with Aussie, however... How about trying to go from the US to Melbourne.....that way, you give your potential readers in the US the ability to start on firm ground (as in, in their own backyard) and then come along with your character(s) to Oz. It will be like an adventure to them. Not to mention, your character(s) do not -have- to be US citizens, they can be Aussie, having lived in the US and now returning to Australia. Perhaps the daughter of a couple, father lives in the US, mother in Oz, the child of which bounced back and forth over the Pacific. Clive Cussler pulled it off quite well in one of his books with the main antagonist being from Australia. I quite enjoyed that book. The name of the book was Shockwave, I believe. I will search and confirm it.

Posted: 11/25/2009 4:29 PM PST
im a Sydney girl, quick question to all you Aussie writers. My book is based in Sydney, the character moves on to Melbourne, being the 2 main cities in Australia. somehow it all just seems wrong. i think it is becuase i have read so many books based in America, it just seems that the US is basically fiction land, everything else seems out of place. Does anyone else have this problem? maybe i should pick up a few Aussie based Novels and see how they make it work..

Posted: 9/3/2009 3:59 AM PDT
Haha...I love to read those sterotypical stories about us Aussies...they make me laugh so hard... But yes, I've been to just about every state in Australia and live in Victoria, so feel free to message me too :D

Posted: 6/29/2009 4:36 PM PDT
lol, i can answer for both Australia AND New Zealand :)

Posted: 6/25/2009 1:37 PM PDT
Haha. I'll agree about the stereotypes.Likewise, if you want info, you can PM me too. =)

Posted: 6/22/2009 3:07 AM PDT
there should be an 's' there > <

Posted: 6/22/2009 1:47 AM PDT
Okay, so I've read to many stories which involve very stereotypical Australians, occa, stubbies(the shorts AND the beer), thongs and sports, and to tell you the truth a lot of us don't even have a backyard, let alone one with a pet kangaroo in it. So if you need any info on the social life of Australian (especially in Victoria and Queensland) feel free to hit me up.