This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/20/2009 9:30 PM PST
The biggest hurdle we all have is putting our internal editor away. What I have found that works for me is to only think about the current moment of the story. Don't worry about what happened before, don't worry about what will come next, just write the current scene. What I have also found that helps is get some upbeat music and play it while you write. That works in two ways. The high tempo keeps boredom away and the music itself forces you to to concentrate a bit more on your writing. I also recommend a totem. Something that you have by you, or something you wear just for writing. It could be anything, but it is a good way to get you into a writing mindset. You will think "I have X, it's time to write." Don't worry if it looks stupid. Whatever you come up with cannot be sillier than mine ----> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=139787&id=1827616226 I would be a little concerned about the amount of time that your block has been. The writing you have done may be a bit stale. A lot can change over a year and a half when it comes to your writing style. What you write now may not mesh well with the old stuff. I have two unfinished works that I probably will never go back to just because it has been so long since I left them and my writing has changed some since then.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/11/2009 6:35 PM PST
Honestly, What I do is that I write, find someone to read it or have one of my feedback buddies review it, and read what they say. It doesn't matter if YOU like your story, It helps, but in the end you're not going to be the one buying your own book now, are you ? Hope that helps anyway! Cheers -Nick

Posted: 11/11/2009 10:24 AM PST
Hello everybody I'm an unpublished writer, working on my first novel, and I've got writers block for about a year and a half now. It is because I am being too overcritical myself, and I have spent months combing the web for anything to help, but so far I've got no results. I've read all the crap about take a walk and whatnot, but the thing I found most helpful is a forum that said, to write for 10 minutes with out thinking about what you are saying, however when I tried this I couldn't do it. I'm also using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10, I don't know if that could have anything to do with it as speaking the story might be harder than writing it. If you could please respond and help me with this problem it would be much appreciated.