This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/23/2009 3:31 AM PDT
Great idea. I normally have a book of 'Baby Names' on hand....and now that I'm 23 weeks pregnant it's actually starting to prove useful for other things other than character names :P.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/12/2009 6:07 PM PDT
I look at my characters and think about the many factors that make them have that certian personality and then I pick up some syllable that sound good towards the character. Ex: Silesia is from my story The Rainbow Rose Files and I find the name sly and shadow like but she also has a random stubborn and Thoughtless which gives her that nickname and dabbed around the spelling to make th pronounciation not as shadowy and dark cuz after all she is in middle school... And one thing I feel about names that end with an a is that they usually have a strong feeling to them. Like Victoria has that sense that even though it's just a name it feel as if it has that kind of power. So yeah, i know this sounds like a bunch of crap but believe me i have created character names just by following some basic elements (ex: Spelling Symin-Simon) anyway hope it helps +3

Posted: 8/1/2009 10:09 AM PDT
I don't really have problems coming up with names. I sort of picture my character as best I can, then find a name that sounds like my character looks. Plus, the internet is full of random name generators.

Posted: 8/1/2009 8:05 AM PDT

Toma
I've got a kinda creppy way to pick out names: graveyards. Yeah, that's right. Just wandering around a cemetary can give awesome ideas for names. Oh, and, also, DON'T use the surname Smith. Like, ever. It's the most popular suranme in the world, guys!

Posted: 5/24/2009 11:06 PM PDT
i write primarily sci-fi/fantasy and I usually use fairly common names. i like people to feel comfortable with the name. I also like the common come to amazing concept i guess. I have used some different names like Neaza and Isedra, but usually I just stick to ones I've heard in real life. (A friend mispronounced something and we came up with Neaza and I liked the sound of Isedra).

Posted: 5/22/2009 8:56 PM PDT
I've found that name meaning dictionaries work best. Just google 'name meanings' and look at the sites that come up. What I really like about those websites is that you can search names from a variety of nationalities, so if you need a certain type of name, you can find it. If you're not the internet searching type, there are a lot of books on popular baby names and their meanings.

Posted: 5/3/2009 1:56 PM PDT

HorrorPunk
Heh...I think the genre that gets blocked for names is the poor sci-fi people. Thank God I write stories about everyday people!

Posted: 5/1/2009 7:06 PM PDT
I see a lot of threads here asking for advice on names to give their characters, the answer's easy: pick up a phone book. I've found the names to almost every character in every story I've written from the good old yellow pages. Hope this helps.