This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 10/5/2008 12:21 AM PDT
These are all really great ideas. If You are asking me I woudl go with the comment about the HUSBAND. This would be my twist/s: Woman weds Man who is a widower and has children. Lovely life together, She has a well-off father, Husband has a tycoon father, Husband has a prestigeous business to inherit, (do you see where I am going with this) Husband and wife have children together. Her father-in-law has never approved of the marriage. Her father in law and son are of same university and alumni. Father in law has buddy that has young and beautiful daughter/neice of same alumni. Father and buddy decide to ally thier business via the Husband and alumni hussy. Hussy is given blackmail material on father in law and blackmails woman. woman is told to keep her mutual children, allowing childsupport in large sums to leave so the family will be 'perfect' or hussy will release materials to news/media on teh father (or it could be fake and about the woman with no way to prove its falsehood) Woman runs, life is ruined, she remains unhappy, hussy starts to move in, woman becomes hero by facing the blackmailer while husband begins digging around and confronts controlling terrible father...dun Dun DUN!! Okay. well. That is just my idea, all spelled out and detailed. when I bounce ideas they always run away from me (stop! come back! ...WAIT FOR ME AT LEAST!!!...gosh!) lol. I hope this is a different perspective! Good luck!!! Love to hear how it all unfolds!!! Karisha Prescott
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/22/2008 9:41 AM PDT
She could have made a plan to take a few of the children with her and have someone else bring the rest to her. She would need an independent place to live, a job, or a friend to support her. She would only take half of her children with her in case she got caught- she would want at least half of her children safe and away from her husband. That way if something did fail she could rescue the rest at a later time, or leave with the rest. In your book the other person could get caught trying to rescue the kids, and that way half would be left with their father. Okay, so I hope that was understandable. It does seem like a possibility at any rate. I hope I was of assistance!

Posted: 9/22/2008 7:32 AM PDT
Personally, I think this would be a lot more fun to write (and read) if you didn't go with the most obvious reason for her to be leaving her husband -- i.e. He's abusive, she's in danger from him, etc. In some ways, posting a question like this in a forum is a good way to get a sense for the direction you SHOULDN'T go. If you ask a dozen people, "Why would a woman leave her husband and take only some of her kids?" and they all automatically assume that he must be an abusive maniac, challenge yourself by writing about a woman who leaves for a different reason. Some of the most energetic and engaging writing comes from backing yourself into a corner and setting challenges and obstacles for yourself as a writer. So, your character leaves her husband, taking only some of her kids, but it's NOT because he's abusive or she's afraid of him. Maybe her HUSBAND is in danger, but doesn't know it -- maybe someone is threatening to kill him if the woman doesn't leave with some but not all of her kids. Maybe this is a post-apocalyptic world, and the husband and some of the kids are infected with some contagious disease, and the woman leaves to protect herself and her remaining children. Or maybe it's the other way around -- the woman and the kids she takes are infected, and she's trying to protect her husband and the other kids. Maybe, just maybe, there isn't any danger at all. Maybe the woman just wants to leave her husband, and she only wants to take some of the kids. Maybe it's a farce, and the woman wants to go to Broadway and star in a musical, and she's only taking the most attractive, bound-for-showbiz kids. She leaves the lumpier, dowdier kids (who of course take after their father) behind.

Posted: 9/20/2008 6:37 PM PDT
Two things come to mind... a) she is virutally running for her life, she can only take either the 'easiest' child (ren) --[which would then allow you to quickly introduce the others she didn't take because] or the ones that can fit into her means of transport...i.e. if she's escaping by boat, the swimmers, if she's getting on a plane, the ones' with passports... b) if there's sexual abuse, the girls, or if the children are split into two camps, just those who are alligned with her, or if it is an inter-racial marriage, the ones that could fit into where she is going...i.e. if she's Chinese and two look Chinese.

Posted: 9/14/2008 9:55 AM PDT
Maybe she meant to take all of the children, but couldn't because her plan went wrong or something, and she could only take a few of them. She desperately wants to get the others, but fears her husband too much to go back and thinks it would be better to just totally disappear and try to steal back the other kids if she ever gets the chance.

Posted: 9/10/2008 7:37 PM PDT
What about the husband is unbalanced and believes his wife cheated on him (even if she didn't) and thinks that only a few of their children are biologically the other man's (he can have wild and un-based reasons for this). He threatens to hurt the children he thinks aren't his but says he'll hurt her more if she tries to take the ones that he believes are his.

Posted: 9/10/2008 2:23 PM PDT
You can always tie in financial ruin, too.

Posted: 9/2/2008 4:05 AM PDT
Maybe an abusive male relative has come back into her life. He got in contatc through the children, and they love him, treating him like the grandad they do not have. The wife could take just the female children to protect them Maybe the relative asks for help and the husband invites him to stay. I know its not blackmail, but its an idea. Maybe the book could be about trying to get into contact with the husband to explain, but he refueses toi talk to her becuase he thinks she has ran off with another man. The relative claims to have seen her with another man. Hey if you don't use this idea let me know, cos I might one day That sounds really bigheaded, but I kinda like it. xxx

Posted: 9/1/2008 9:13 PM PDT
Blackmail... blackmail, blackmail, blackmail. Hm. Considering you only want her to take a /few/ of her kids, that might be difficult. In reality, most mothers, when leaving their husbands, would take all of the kids (if they take them with them at all...) So, that would be a difficult one. It'd be easier if it was /all/ of the kids.... Hm. Though, as for the blackmail idea, something with an ex-lover (or husband) would probably do just fine. Say, he knew something about her cheating on the current husband (or vice versa, him cheating on her) and he tries to get revenge (for something undefined, or defined; if you can think of something.) by telling her, Leave him, or I'll tell him /everything/. Your choice. I don't know. It's just a thought. I can understand the predicament you're in. I've gotten myself stuck like that quite a few times, and just ended up backing out of the situation entirely. Assuming it's not the entire point of your plot, you may just have to do what I did and back out. But, if you're just driven to write this, then by all means, go for it!

Posted: 8/25/2008 9:01 AM PDT
What I thought of first thing is... is she being taunted by some sinister character...? Perhaps an ex lover who deisres her to join him and a few of the kids [because those kids are really his] because if she doesn't he will reveal something that would ruin her life. Or maybe that something involoves more than her...

Posted: 8/25/2008 9:00 AM PDT
I need an idea for my story that would get a woman to leave her husband and take only a few of her 7 kids with her and completely disappear... I just can't seem to come up with one... Any help would be appreciated.