This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Genre Café > Fiction / Sci-Fi / Fantasy Forum > Keeping the uninteresting interesting.
Fiction writers talk shop and discuss works in progress. All genres welcome!
Posted: 3/27/2015 12:44 PM PST
Being "grounded to Earth" is actually a good thing.  It is pretty much impossible to tell a story to another human being if that story doesn't have a grounding in earth-like and (or) human-like components.  These connections--even when hidden by new names, new ceremonies, creatures, histories, times, places, and all--are what allow your reader to connect with the story.

If you review the books you've read and the movies you've seen, you will probably notice that just about any story you experience could be set in just about any time and place you choose.  So many books and movies started in one genre, but inspired copies in another.  Old westerns become science fiction, spy stories become crime and detective tales, and one person's fight against nature can occur in any time and any place (these are just random connections, many more are possible).

My best advice is to write on.  And on.  And on.  Throw away nothing, but don't use everything you've created.  No matter how often the story is told, the concept is well-loved, and if you treat it right, it will be well-received.

As for the "boring parts", use them for inserting little flashes of foreshadow and insight.  Set your reader up with mystery, and teasing hints of what is to come.  Nothing is as boring as the work of a bored writer.  Get excited about your project.  If a section stops you, put it aside and work on another section.  This can be a very exciting time for you!

Best of luck!
-r

ps, sorry to say, but if there are "boring parts", that is always the fault of the writer.  ((

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/27/2015 12:25 PM PST
Writing about uninteresting things?  Hmmm.  I guess that might have a place in historical non-fiction, but for a fiction writer, how can anything you write be uninteresting?  OK, OK, you can have a character who writes flatly, without imagination, and you might quote "his" material to inform the reader that as a writer, your character is a dud, but as a writer you (we!) have both the ability and (perhaps) the obligation to make EVERY sentence interesting.

There are so many people writing these days, that the reader has an enormous number of stories and novels to choose from.  We should do everything we can to keep our work sharp, exciting, and entertaining!

Posted: 1/29/2015 3:10 AM PST
Hello Martin_Erics,
You could ask yourself important questions, such as does this offer plot development or character development? What is the real point of the chapter? 
Perhaps if you wish to skip the drivel of a class you could start a brand new paragraph which surmises the lesson and it's importance. 
The only reason that I would write about something uninteresting is to add to something or someone. Not all stories can be action action action, they do need some time to develop the characters. 
Perhaps to get some motivational juices flowing you could sketch (no matter how bad it should be better than my skills) a scene, write down some plot points to it and go from there.
Perhaps she has a low intrerest? Perhaps  you could so off friendships? 
Once i did write a rather boring short story about a class, but it had a verbal to and fro in it which livened up the whole thing.

Posted: 8/24/2013 2:21 PM PDT
The shift has to be clear cut … you have to bring your reader to the other side, don't leave it for them to figure out.

Find other authors who have successfully pulled it off, learn from their technique.

Posted: 8/24/2013 10:37 AM PDT
Do you think it would be okay to change perspective once in a while?

Posted: 8/24/2013 9:52 AM PDT
For me, when I'm developing the story slowly, I like to mix chaaracter building, tension with sub-plots, and premonition events on what is coming. 

I like to build characters where two or more of my main players are interacting. Having a male and femalle character makes developing the tension between them easier, but you can do it in any combination; mom and child, two friends, worker and boss ... 

Sub-plots that work into the main plot are great for foreshadowing what is coming. Some crisis that seems insurmountable and consuming, only to be dwarfed by the coming plot. 

Whatever you do, make sure everything you write both focuses on and advances your characters and the story.

ET -- 

Posted: 8/20/2013 8:47 AM PDT

It's been about 2 years since I completed my latest novel and I'm venturing into a new series. My only problem is that it's not entirely what I'm used to. In short, a story about a college girl slowly being pulled into a supernatural world that wants her for its own reasons.

The story starts off with a normal student, and moves along, but how do I maintain the readers attention with the between scenes? I don't want to jump into the action and rush through the story, but I can't seem to get excitement into places between Beginning and Middle. Yes, she will go to class, and hang out with friends, that sort of thing.

Frankly, I'm quite stuck. I'm so used to writing in my fantasy world where I know how peoples lives work and I have no boundaries on soceity. But when I'm dealing with contemporary fantasy and real world situations, I'm very much grounded to Earth. Any tips? I'm not sure my keyboard can take any more abuse from my forehead.