This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A place to post your ideas for new writing challenges, and thoughts on the current challenge.
Posted: 9/22/2010 7:07 PM PDT
Number 7 sounds like a lot of fun! Let's go for it!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/30/2010 11:17 AM PDT
# 5 sounds like fun, and it reminds me of the improve game Euphamisms (sp?). You really came up with some great ideas, and some real challenging possibilities. :)

Posted: 8/29/2010 12:01 AM PDT
Ohh, I really like all of these! They sound as entertaining as they do stimulating. I'd choose 4 and 5 as my favorites, but I'd honestly be over the moon about participating in any of them. Would love to be able to take a crack at these. Good practice! If they don't end up as official challenges we should start some group projects or the like.

Posted: 8/28/2010 4:38 PM PDT
Some of these came from a writing group I was part of. We had so many different prompts and exercises that we simple couldn't get to them all. 1) Write any scene –200 words—from the first-person POV, but only use the first-person pronouns (“I” or “me” or “my”) once. The key is to make the readers aware that it is a first person account, but to minimize the narrator’s self-interest, showing that what it is they are doing or observing is actually more important or interesting than the individual telling it. 2) Write any scene in 150 words using only one-syllable words. 3) Write any scene as long as there are no adjectives or adverbs. The point is to choose the wording with care, forcing the writer to find stronger nouns and verbs. This could be tweaked to give an allotment of one of these modifiers per hundred words (a 200 word entry could have two adjectives or two adverbs or one of each) if it was deemed too difficult otherwise. However, it wouldn’t be a challenge if it wasn’t at least making us writers work, now would it? 4) Write a scene in which a conversation happens between two characters, but not a word is spoken. The reader should be able to understand what is going on based on the characters’ body language and WITHOUT using first-person POV (as getting into a character’s thoughts is too much like dialogue). 5) Write a scene like Hemingway’s “Hills Like White Elephants” in which a conversation between a couple revolves around an issue but is talked about in terms of something else. It should be clear to the reader by the end what the true subject of the conversation was. 6) Write a scene in which only half of a conversation is heard, such as overhearing someone on the telephone, so that the reader pieces together what the unheard half of the conversation is. This should NOT be told from the perspective of one of the characters involved in the conversation. First-person POV should only be from someone overhearing the one side of the conversation as spoken by someone else. 7) Write a 250 word scene that begins with the line “They quit coming around after the …” and ends with the line “…but it should have been enough.”