This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 2/3/2011 4:08 PM PST

There have been cases of identical twins having poor language skills, because having developed their own private language to communicate with each other, they didn't see learning to communicate with other people as a high priority. In one case I remember, one twin developed a severe mental illness, and dragged her sibling into her psychotic world, because the sisters were so isolated in their own private world that the twin who was not ill was not aware of how abnormal her sister's behaviour was. As a result, both sisters are now serving life sentences for arson.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/15/2011 10:58 PM PST
i AM A TWIN. SHYNESS can be a problem. my sis and I have always been shy. We are super, super close, best friends. didn't learn how to socialize well because we were always together. didn't feel a huge need to make friends because we had each other. Also twins may not bond as much with their parents as single children because they are so busy bonding with each other. This isn't good. It not good for twins to always be together 24/7. Parents need to pay extra atteniton to "each" twin so they grow up feeling like a special individual. There own person... and parents need to separate them a little and make sure they play with other kids too so they don't grown up shy... it can be kinda hard, life as a twin, and at the same time easy cause you always have that "best friend" and that is awesome!!!

Posted: 9/24/2009 1:17 PM PDT
Twins often are closer than any two other people ever can be. I've known of twins who have developed there own languages, including sign languages, that allow them to communiate with each other without anyone else knowing what they're saying to each other. And I know they suffer great emotional and psychological trauma when one of them dies unexpectedly. What would it be like to grow up having an identical version of you around?

Posted: 9/8/2009 2:52 PM PDT
Once I was in a musical with twins. These twins were EQUALLY good. They both sang in the same voice, danced in the same way, and were both equally good actors. Even though they were really good, they never got big parts. Then, a few years later, their sister came and got the lead. It occurred to me then that maybe they never got good parts because the director simply could cast one of them in a big part without casting the other. I now refer to this as the "Twin Problem," and have found many examples of similar things.

Posted: 9/3/2009 3:57 AM PDT
My younger brother's are twins, and whilst not identical are often mistaken for the other because of their mannerisms and attitudes. My brothers are close and absolutely love to gang up on me...they almost seem to be sharing the same thoughts sometimes...I'd love to get into their heads one day... But yes, as DarthFleur said, they are very different people. They both enjoy different things, though because they are twins, people assume they are the same. It was also hard when they first started school, as the teachers thought it best to separate them, yet being the pains they are, they refused. Twins, whilst alike can be very different people and it is improtant that others realise that....they share a special bond, and seem to have a friend for life!!! Not something all of us can boast about for sure....

Posted: 8/21/2009 5:11 PM PDT
Interesting topic. I think one problem indentical twins face is the fact people automatically assume they are going to be really close. Even though they look exactly alike, they still can be very different people.

Posted: 8/21/2009 5:25 AM PDT
I've always been fascinated with the twins who end up NOT talking to each other. Like Dear Anne/Dear Abby. The big question is what happened there? All accounts I've read of their situation don't point to anything specific. I think with twins, socially, people expect them to get along all the time. When we gawk it's because we really want to see how they're not twinnish.

Posted: 8/7/2009 8:06 AM PDT
I was a twin, and I think one of the problems is the pressure to do as well as if not better than your other half! If they excel at something then it's assumed that you will to.

Posted: 8/1/2009 2:09 PM PDT
Social Problems?? Hmm... being forced to dress the same as people think it is "cute", particularly the parents.. and then being teased as a result.. I suppose, in the younger years, many do not have their own identities as they are always being grouped together (IMO); they might be referred to as the [insert last name] twins, as opposed to their own individual names. Hope this helps

Posted: 7/22/2009 10:57 AM PDT

Seperation Anxiety, but that varies from case to case

Posted: 7/22/2009 3:27 AM PDT

What are some social problems identical twins might have..... Like: they get mixed up by teachers, and so on. Thanks.