This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 10/17/2010 1:43 AM PDT
Thank you so much Denis! I’ll do the same in case I happen to learn anything new on the subject as well.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/16/2010 10:36 PM PDT
Words and Music, As a matter of interest I am at the beginnings of discussing a 'global' distribution contract through an independent publisher in the UK. So, the question of rights of 'music' that, that is featured extensively in this particular novel of mine and one that I wish to make 'listernable' [even if it need be only a sampling] in the ebook, will, no doubt, be raised. I intend to visit the UK publisher in person sometime in December and will report back what I have discovered about the variable artistic rights, the restictions, the implied costs and other variables for musical inclusive in this specific context [sic: ebook]. Denis

Posted: 10/16/2010 10:30 AM PDT
I’m curious as well, Denis. As I was writing my novel, I was keenly aware that the song mentions might have to be cut at a later edit, due to legalities. However, a book about radio without music seems a little … well, pointless, does it not? There are no opinions favorable or unfavorable, regarding the songs, simply the mention of what’s playing - especially where the jocks are talking over the intro or outro - because it’s part of the dialogue. We shall see….

Posted: 10/16/2010 1:59 AM PDT
The future of contemporary literature and its publishing, I believe lies in the e-book and its ability to feature both visual and audio references. Perhaps this new way of integrating reading with visual and audio (support) could be seen as a poor man's cinematic entertainment? But, as the spread of the Kindle and the ibook and other related branded products reduce cost of manufacture and hence retail price, I believe the numbers (especially those readers under thirty years old) will increase rapidly. Barnes and Noble and Macmillian are already including 'contractual' non negotiable terms to include the publishing of both the hard copies of a novel and world rights for ebook publication and distribution, as many authors are already aware. This does raise the question of the rights to include visual and musical references, an issue that I am sure the Music Industry is keeping one eye on. I suspect some deals have already been done (based on percentage income/sales). For todays authors, those that do integrate actual existing audio and visual known references, ones that absolutely enhance the storyline, could proove to be a stumbling block for getting ones novel not essentially into print but definately onto ebook webshops where the audio (in particular) is reproduced in sync with the body text of the book. Its is a subject I am very keen to witness a test case on. Denis

Posted: 10/4/2010 8:31 PM PDT
No lyrics, just simple song title/artist mentions by disc jockeys as they do their shifts at a radio station.

Posted: 10/4/2010 5:20 PM PDT
If you want to type the lyrics there might be some different rules, but I'm not sure.

Posted: 9/28/2010 4:00 PM PDT
I feel like candy references are fine. If anything, it is free advertising for the companies. As for songs, as long as you credit you should be fine.

Posted: 9/28/2010 4:47 AM PDT
My novel is set inside a radio station, so it's near impossible to NOT mention music. I've written web articles and magazine articles where all you had to do was give proper credit in order to mention music, such as: 'Raw Power', by Iggy Pop. What are the rules on this in a novel? Also, what about candy? Example: "That was my last nerve," I said, popping four M&Ms into my mouth.