This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 2/3/2011 4:38 PM PST

Beruthiel
Depends if your character turns out to have major negative personality traits!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/21/2010 11:30 AM PDT
Yes, I do see what you mean. Thanks, that makes sense. I planned on using this setting for a different story I have in the works, and I wanted my main character to be a college student who works at a CVS. I don't think CVS will care about that.

Posted: 8/17/2010 9:59 PM PDT

Beruthiel
I'm not authoritative here, but I THINK you are Ok with statements of FACT. So, your characters can walk past real buildings etc. Difficulties arise when you make things up about real people or places: so a plague outbreak in a real hospital is a bad idea, for example. Basically, anything negative and fictional you say about a real entity casn be construed as libel. ("How dare SLG impune the standards of security/hygiene/ professionalism at our hospital! A plague outbreak could NEVER happen here!") Do you see what I mean?

Posted: 8/11/2010 7:37 PM PDT
I am starting to ponder a new story idea, and I would like it to take place in the city where I went to college. Is there any rule about mentioning company/buisness/hospital/etc names? I think that would make it much more authentic but I don't want to get into trouble.