This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 10/6/2008 2:00 PM PDT
There are two basic approaches you could take to this problem: Just keep writing your details until you totally wear yourself out and you're ready to move on, or dash some cold water on your face, give your bootstraps a good, hard yank, and force yourself to "get on with it." The right approach totally depends on you and your situation. Pretend you're having a crying jag. Sometimes you just know that all you need to do is "cry it out," and you'll feel better afterward. In fact, the more permission you give yourself to cry hard and loud, the more ready you'll be to stop crying when the time comes. At other times, crying just leads to more crying, and there comes a time when you have to say, "Enough is enough!" and take a walk in the park. Which does your situation feel like? Are you "working through" something necessary (even if it's not necessary to the story), or are you just spinning your tires in the mud? If you can't tell, try this: Write for half an hour, about that week you're stuck on. Just set a timer, and go wild with the unnecessary details. Don't change the topic. Don't move the story forward. Stick to that week. When the timer goes off, what happens? Do you think, "Phew, finally! The timer went off, I can stop writing!" Or do you think, "Shut up, timer, I'm trying to write!"? If it's the former, you're probably spinning your tires, and a little sternness and discipline might be in order. If it's the latter, you're in some creative groove, and you'd be well served to ride it out, even if it seems like it's not getting you where you want to be at the rate you want to travel.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/5/2008 5:49 AM PDT
The only way to get on with a story is to get on with it. Be firm with yourself. Use all your will power and start with a single word.

Posted: 10/4/2008 10:36 PM PDT
When I get writer's block i go on and on and on writing about the same thing and adding more and more details, Right now I have like 40 pages worth of one week. I need to get on with the story. HELP!!