This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 1/24/2009 7:25 AM PST
I think especially with poetry it is important not to force it. I agree with the others when saying just write anything down like in a journal or a diary. It does not have to be creative writing at all. Just write thoughts and feelings, this will kick your mind into gear. Even if inspiration does not happen immediately. Writers block is normal. Usually when I have it I try not to force inspiration but I do quietly look forward to when I start writing again as I've got all these new things to write about that happened during the period I wasn't writing. People write differently. For example I can't write poetry. Poetry writes itself through me most of the time. Inspiration comes from something obscure and I just follow where ever it takes me. I do not sit down and go "ok i'm now going to write a poem." I would say, don't sit around waiting for inspiration. Go out into the world and experience things. This will probably create inspiration. We often write about the world in which we live in, so if you don't experience the world you will have nothing to write about. The novel is different. I felt exactly like you, that I had this novel inside me. For so long I couldn't focus my mind. But guess what with time it happens. But still sometimes I can't write a word. Most of the time with my novel I can only write something meaningful when it is late night 1am - 4am. But this is what excites me about writing, you never know when your next great idea will come, or where it will come from. Don't worry, just enjoy the whole process. Good luck.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/23/2009 7:12 PM PST
Since you are a poet, here's a suggestion. Poetry can be describing things around you. look out the nearest window, jot donw what you see. You can describe anything, form a spring sunrise, to an old pair of socks. Look around! Hoe do you feel right now? describe that!

Posted: 1/23/2009 7:12 PM PST
Since you are a poet, here's a suggestion. Poetry can be describing things around you. look out the nearest window, jot donw what you see. You can describe anything, form a spring sunrise, to an old pair of socks. Look around! Hoe do you feel right now? describe that!

Posted: 1/11/2009 5:09 PM PST
M_A_Castillo wrote the following post at 1/10/2009 01:06 PM PT Ok so I always write, it seems like everyday even if its something small and really meaningless..well its been like two weeks since i've been able to write anything. i'm drawing blanks the minute the pen goes to paper and i'm all excited and revved up ready to go before i start. any advice? I am mostly a poetry writer (although i know i have a novel in me) but I cannot think of topics for some poetry....can anyone maybe just throw out some ideas and maybe something will spark me and i shall make it my own? Well interesting thoughts are hard to come by some times SEX usualy you need to have some form of SEX tension to have a really good idea. You need things like two LAUGHTER opposing forces to LAUGHTER to have tension. I find when things in my life are sedintary VIOLENT my writing is weak and bland VIOLENCE so I don't write much then. VIOLINS ARE VIOLENT IN VIOLENCE What I do is try to tap the sub concsious for inspiration. I look to the base FOOD things in life likesex and violence among others for their raw emotion causing abilities. Don't have to go farther than a TV I bet to see these things aplenty but it is not personal enough you need to get a little bodily fluid on ya if you no what I mean. FEAR ANGER LUST LOVE OBSESSION FAITH you really just need to look in your life and the lives of those you care for to see the base of all things great. The motivations of us all jealousy love a mother for her child starvation DESPARATION among others. Just remember your sub concious will have picked up lots of fuel on these things over the years all you need to do is to tap it.

Posted: 1/11/2009 8:48 AM PST
It sounds like you need to stop writing for a while and let the batteries recharge. I find that I write in spurts. I'll write six or seven great poems in a few days, and then nothing for weeks or even months, and then another spurt. If I try to write every day, I just get logarrhea. Big, long poems that don't mean anything. Randall Jarrell once went three years without writing a word. He said that through those three years, his wife always acted as if he had written his last poem yesterday and would write his next one tomorrow. You can't command creativity. You have to let it work by its own rules.

Posted: 1/10/2009 2:57 PM PST
I can recommend a couple of things that work for me, when I draw blanks. First, you are already half-way to achieving the spark of a new idea. You recognize within you exists a novel waiting to be created. That tells me you realize you have a creative gift. You are not stifling that . That's good, in fact that very realization is the most important, imo. Second, the way to ignite this creativity within you and let it pour out onto the paper is to constantly use it. For whatever reason the last two weeks you say you cannot write. Do you keep a diary? Do you journal anything you may have felt, seen, or thought from the previous day? It doesn't have to be poetic, or grammatically correct, or make much sense, if only to you. Just write freely, without care, something you may have felt or experienced. If you do this, you open a floodgate of imagination. Maybe you open it only a crack, just enough to spill out some thoughts. Perhaps the next day, you open it just a bit more. But it is not meaningless, whatever it is. If it is a thought you had, whatever it is, it had purpose in you. Even if its the following: "another day, I cannot write. I place my pen upon the paper, and just drag it across, first a line travelling north, east, then south,quickly west, criss-crossing back and forth until I find myself etch-a-sketching across the page until I have stacks of lines, tubes, and pipes. Pipes that make me think of that stupid sink dripping, constantly dripping- split, splat, split, as if its keeping time until it finally drives me insane. I look away from the page, and glance outside for a moment. Kids are sliding down a small hill, racing their toboggans as their parents stand close, keeping them safe. I long to feel as safe as a kid again, where nothing can happen if I just ride my bike as fast as I can, feeling the wind race against me, no one can catch me if I become a blur, which is how I feel now, every thought is a blur and I can't seem to gather anything together, to describe it enough just to form a simple sentence, so I write this frantically, faster, faster, until my pen is a blur and the words seem to draw a great castle in the clouds...." It doesn't make much sense, but its what I just felt right now, at this moment, typing it out as fast as I could. If you can do a similar exercise where you write your thoughts down frantically and freely, you will find in your imagination what you are looking for, and it will be an unforced, powerful feeling. Maybe it will happen in an hour, maybe the next day. Just don't stop journalling. Its there, this idea you seek. You only need to free it. And by writing freely and without care, you will not overexplain or overdescribe. You will get straight to the point with expressing your feelings on whatever has captivated your imagination. Sorry I can't give a topic. I don't know what you are interested in, and anything that has meaning for me may have none for you. But this is what I do when I draw a blank. Hopefully that helps a bit. Good luck with your poetry.

Posted: 1/10/2009 1:06 PM PST
Ok so I always write, it seems like everyday even if its something small and really meaningless..well its been like two weeks since i've been able to write anything. i'm drawing blanks the minute the pen goes to paper and i'm all excited and revved up ready to go before i start. any advice? I am mostly a poetry writer (although i know i have a novel in me) but I cannot think of topics for some poetry....can anyone maybe just throw out some ideas and maybe something will spark me and i shall make it my own?