This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Discuss, examine, and rant and rave about the news of the day.
Posted: 3/9/2011 1:57 PM PST
Part of me really wants this to happen. This is how injustice is supposed to be destroyed, not by some bogus invasion by outsiders like Iraq. But part of me is worried that now that the Shia in Saudi Arabia are poised to rise up against the government fuel prices will shoot through the roof. Hopefully everyone else thinks so too, so a bit of artificial deflation can soften the blow. I love to see good things happening, but I my wallet is a lot closer to home than the Middle East.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/2/2011 1:09 AM PST

NavarCrow
I think I'd have to agree w/ the Admiral on this one. Now try and tell technology isn't in our evolution.

Posted: 3/1/2011 6:55 PM PST
slg87 wrote the following post at 2/15/2011 7:17 AM PST "What really gets me is the American news reporters. Some of them are convinced that Americans are going to rise up and rebel against the government because we also have high prices and high unemployment. Completely ridiculous. Something truly hilarious: One reporter (I believe it was FOX news, but I'm not 100% sure who said it) said that Egypt is the first time a revolt like this has ever happened. Clearly he did not pay attention in history class. " What other revolt used facebook and twitter to organize protests and gain national interest? I must have missed that one in history class and college.

Posted: 2/28/2011 4:23 PM PST
Getting educated is a very complicated thing. It's not like putting a penny into a gum ball machine, and getting a gum ball out. Sometimes I'm amazed anyone can even read. I'm not a big fan of the schools, but I don't have anything better in mind....

Posted: 2/15/2011 4:19 PM PST
HAHAHA. It's bad enough that it's happened in Russia, Ireland, Germany, Italy, France, most of Africa, Most of South America... But it's happened in America before too! His own country overthrew British control! I mean, there's a whole SAT test devoted to American History. It's not like he didn't have the opportunity to get educated.

Posted: 2/15/2011 7:17 AM PST
What really gets me is the American news reporters. Some of them are convinced that Americans are going to rise up and rebel against the government because we also have high prices and high unemployment. Completely ridiculous. Something truly hilarious: One reporter (I believe it was FOX news, but I'm not 100% sure who said it) said that Egypt is the first time a revolt like this has ever happened. Clearly he did not pay attention in history class.

Posted: 2/10/2011 6:12 PM PST
Well I saw a guy taping loaves of bread to his head in Freedom Square. Does that satisfy you?

Posted: 2/8/2011 12:45 PM PST
Know who I want to see? A seventh son of a seventh son of a misbegotten camel driver.

Posted: 2/6/2011 3:20 PM PST
The Sumer were the first great civilisation :P I just enjoyed the general madness of the rioting. I saw I guy riding a camel into a crowd of people wielding what appeared to be a cricket bat. And another guy who was trying to protect his head from falling bricks by taping three loaves of bread to it.

Posted: 2/6/2011 10:43 AM PST

NavarCrow
I am pretty sure they tried that one already, dude.

Posted: 2/5/2011 9:57 PM PST
I vote for a Sparta influenced government.

Posted: 2/4/2011 5:57 PM PST

NavarCrow
I think Egypt deserves a totally new and untried form of government. They were the first civilization, it only seems fitting that they carry on into the new millennium as a new ray of hope. A Democracy there would obviously achieve this, but democracy is starting to get stale. The world needs a new form of governance. One that works better for the people than for the money. Lobbyists have taken control of most of the democracies in the world. And that offends me. I don't want the land of the pyramids to fall into that slump. I want to see the world get rid of those problems entirely. (lobbyists not democracy.)

Posted: 2/4/2011 5:20 PM PST
The Egypt situation was really hard to watch unfold. At first, I found it really hopeful. The youth rose up and demanded a better government. But in the blink of an eye it went from a huge, peaceful movement, to a violent clash wherein people were actually dying and journalists were being detained. Sad...

Posted: 2/3/2011 2:49 PM PST
Let's talk about Egypt, and more broadly, the north shore of the Mediterranean in general. On TV news, they're showing molotov cocktails being tossed in Cairo. Tunisia got a new government recently. It all makes me think of Haliem. He was studying for a masters in Chemical Engineering. There wasn't much difference between him and any other foreign grad student. He was from Algeria. I wonder what he's doing these days. It was pretty clear he was going back home when he finished. What do I really remember about the guy? His favorite thing to eat was paella made with sea food only, no chicken or sausage. And he told me what all the young guys punctuated their speech with, but DAMN, I never got him to teach me how to say it in French. What was that? "My dick." According to him it was the single most common phrase in everyday speech. Those folks sound like, aside from the language they speak, they'd fit right into any big city I've every been through in the US.