This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 10/4/2008 11:49 PM PDT
Here is the trick. WRITE. Write whatever you want to. You are a writer and that is what you do. Stay aware of the plot, just make sure that you are capturing a story. Then...and only after you have writen your story, go back and TWEAK it. this means moving around things like flashbacks. Flashbacks are like little bubbles on pictures, the picture being the story. Little bubbles can be moved around anywhere it is needed and the picture stays the same. I don't know if that was a good analogy. So. WRITE the whole story. Switch roles and become no longer the writer, but the editor. Cut out unneccesary info that drags the story. Move around flashbacks to even it out... That is my advice... Or just publish the chapters and see what readers think, because if they think it is fine then it is. Hope I helped! Karisha Prescott
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/1/2008 12:08 PM PDT
well, I'm really young, just 14, but I think i can help because i used to do that a lot too. Though detail is really great, maybe you could just get everything out at first. Don't think about detail or any of that stuff (though do add at least some) just get your idea down (the whole thing) with dialogue and everything. Once it's all down you can go back and fill in and add where you think it could use some help. I hope that that was useful!

Posted: 10/1/2008 11:42 AM PDT
thank you it helps I would love it you would go and read my first 2 chapters of my book midnight

Posted: 9/23/2008 11:41 AM PDT
It might help to develop a split personality: The Writer, and The Editor. Set a daily goal for The Writer. Experiment until you find a goal that works. It may be time-dependent -- say, write for one hour a day. Or it might be volume-dependent -- say, 1,000 new words a day. While The Writer is working, The Editor is not allowed to say a word. This might take some discipline -- I find it helpful to be strict about this when I'm struggling with writer's block. I don't even allow The Editor to fix spelling or punctuation until The Writer has met her goal for the day. Then The Writer can go take a nap, and The Editor can spend as much time as she wants picking over things. In my experience, it's not necessary to give The Editor a turn at the keyboard everyday -- once a week or so seems to do the trick -- but The Writer needs to flex her muscles daily. Good luck!

Posted: 9/23/2008 9:29 AM PDT
Hi I am 18 and I am writing a fantasy love novel and I am stuck I feel like I have everything messed up and that I am stressing to much over the detail and going into to many flash backs I dont know what to do.How can I over come my self critique????