This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 4/14/2009 8:06 AM PDT
I usually just write my ideas onto paper and then put them into a binder. It helps a lot with remembering and organizing what ideas went to which plot. I also put all I've written of a story into a binder, so I can edit it by hand. For some reason, I can't stand editing on a computer and feel that I can edit better with a pen and paper, but that's just me.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 4/13/2009 8:10 PM PDT
I always tote around a pen and notebook just for that. But for the most part, I write my heart out each night, and then try to stop from thinking about it too much when i know that I won't be near a computer anytime soon. Actually, many great book ideas have been lost for me. If I need to think about it, I try to resolve something like, "What does my character like and hate? What is she like?" If I forget something like that, it's normally very easy to recreate.

Posted: 4/5/2009 9:45 PM PDT
First inspirations are not always what they appear but you can never know this if you can't record them for later examinations. CELL PHONE voice memo may help you there most of us carry one. Me I know what it is like so I just give myself a clue or two to get that creative thought process going again when at a keyboard. I try to rework and build off an idea in my head and as this happens I tend to remember more of the idea later.

Posted: 4/1/2009 10:43 PM PDT
Thanks a lot , walking around with a pen as you recommended might help … I am totaly open to any opinions , it is just a real waits of great ideas and the fact that you will never get them back the way the fist imagined it is a real inspiration killer …… Thaks!!!

Posted: 3/29/2009 3:28 PM PDT
I have the memory of a 60 year old, so I understand. I usually keep a pen on hand at all times, like in a pocket or my purse or something, and then write it down on some paper or on myself IMMEDIATELY, because I know how my mind slips once something grabs its attention. Occasionally, I will put my ideas to the music of a song stuck in my head so that I remember it word for word, if it requires that. I think the best way to stay motivated is to work towards a goal or to do it for other people (works great for those who love attention for their story or are exhibitionists). I'm pretty lazy, but whenever I think, "If I never get this done, this can never be published!" or "If I don't finish chapter blah, anyone who stumbles across the story will be left hanging!" I will usually attempt to do it. Also, I will sometimes plan to make certain chapters have extremely interesting things going (well, to me), something that I know I will enjoy writing (like major events in the story or "infamous" scenes), so I will keep telling myself, "If I finish this random chapter, I get to write this fun one!" If I'm not at all motivated for a while, I usually jump to another story and work on that, just for a change of scenery. I hope I helped!

Posted: 3/28/2009 11:58 AM PST
I got a great story , and when I am walking home or doing something boring, I day dream and I get great ideas all the time when I do , but cant get them down on a piece of paper before there lost in the abyss, and when I do get to my computer/pen and paper, I am totally uninterested and cant write down anything , how can I motivate myself or try to remain in the inspired state and keep my great ideas intact ???