This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/4/2008 10:03 PM PDT

Mrs_Smith
thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. It's funnny because the second suggested story would actually be based on the life of my granmother, mother and i. i think because i've had so much seemingly unrealistic melodrama in my life, having a story that is overly dramatic (but i can completly relate too) feels comfortable for me. i think the hardest part is also trying to make it convincing. i want people to belive it's possible when i know it's possible. in better news i am actually writing again! yay! i found my old journal with a biography i started a year or so ago. it's actually better then i thought it was and reading it and coming up with things to add has been surprisingly easy. It's in my project named "White Girl" thank you again for your advice. danni
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/4/2008 1:12 PM PDT
I have to agree with MomoOkayasu that there might be too much melodrama in your ideas. They could be done well, but the pressure of all that conflict might be what's keeping you from writing! Instead of taking on such big, dramatic themes, why not write something a bit more down to earth and relate-able, at least to get you started? When I'm blocked, it's really important for me to be able to bite off small, manageable chunks, so I wouldn't start with a big, 3-generational novel if you haven't written for a year. Instead, why not write a short story that takes place all in one day? There should be some kind of character transformation, and it can either be dramatic or subtle, but all the action has to take place in one day. Be strict with yourself -- limit the amount of background you provide to a few short sentences -- no multi-paragraph flashbacks. Giving yourself a constrained structure like this might help with what I expect your problem is -- your imagination is too big! It sounds as if you might start off with really detailed, rich, sweeping ideas, and then get overwhelmed by what it would take to make them come to life. Instead, start small. I always like to write about strangers' lives colliding. Why not two people who end up sitting next to each other in a doctor's waiting room? What could happen between these people that could change one or both of their lives -- even just a little -- in the course of a few hours? Have fun with it. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to write a capital-S Story.

Posted: 9/4/2008 8:06 AM PDT
Well, for one, your ideas sound very interesting, but I also think there's a little too much. I'm not against putting characters through hell by any small stretch, but you seem to have thrown them into the lowest circle and left them to rot. The first one seems great. If I were the one writing it, I'd probably do it present, past, present- first write the daughter struggling (I'm assuming it's a struggle) with the decision to go and see her mother, then have a few chapters about her younger days so the reader knows why it's so hard for her, then finish off the rest of the book with going to see her mother and what not. This second one reminds me of a short-short story I read in Writer's Digest once and I really enjoyed it, so I think I'd like this, but there's just so much. Three generation of women with what seems like horrible lives. Lighten up a little, maybe make the super horrible skip a generation or something. There has to be something good in these women's lives, which brings me to what I was going to suggest when I first read it, let that bright spot be something that connects them. Maybe Grandma planted a tree and she, Mother and Daughter all feel safe under it. Maybe they share a favorite song that they can't help but smile about. I have no suggestions or comments about the last one because I don't really have a working idea of what an ex-senator's life would be like. These are really great ideas, I just think your problem at the moment is that you're trying too hard to put conflict into them, so much so that you're over-doing it a wee bit.

Posted: 9/3/2008 9:26 PM PDT

Mrs_Smith
i'm stuck.... i have ideas, but they all seem to be well...crap 1. daughter has to confront estranged mother who is dying of aids, mother use to be a prostitute and forced her daughter into prostitution when she was 13. hasn't seen her mother since she turned 18. 2. story of three generation of women (3 part novel) first of the grandmother who starts off in puerto rico, marries what she thinks is the love of her life but ends up an abusive man, second is the daughter who becomes a drug addict her husband is a womanizer and dies (by getting shot) she remarries and it goes into her life and troubles, last is the grandaughter who gets into alcohol drugs, has mental issues and well...just issues, it will be their own stories their view when their daughter came into the story or their view of their mother, and their life appropriately 3. story of a exsenator's wife, he's abusive, she has an affair, he finds out, kills the man, gets off remarries, becomes president lives succesfully, while she lives in tabloid hell. this is the even from her point of view. there are more ideas i'm sure that i've started and can't think of at the moment, but i really need help. it's been almost a year since i've written ANYTHING. please help. if you have ideas for me i would appreciate it.