This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/10/2009 2:27 PM PDT
If you are having trouble writing the story in order i would suggest a piece of free software that I use. It allows you to skip around and write scenes as needed. You can write chronologically or as the muse takes you. It is a great tool! It also helps you keep track of word count, characters, locations, items, timeline. etc. Check it out here: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/24/2009 10:03 AM PDT
It could take years it could take months. Fahrenheit 451 only took the author (Ray Bradbury) nine days to finish. It was then turned into a movie I believe and was definitely turned into a play. It had a rich story, too. It wasn't low quality. I personally think that if you're having a difficult time staying with a story idea you either: 1. Didn't map anything out or 2. May need to find a story you like more. For me, writing my book was the adventure and revising it was the endeavor.

Posted: 6/18/2009 2:53 PM PDT
I always suggest to others what I was told, which is to write every day, regardless of whether you "feel like it" or not. I know I've spent hours sometimes writing, "I don't know what to write," in different ways. LOL... If you approach it like a job, eventually your brain will give in and start producing. It might not be your best work, but it'll be *work*. Going back and re-writing things that don't fit well will be easier than the original creation. :)

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31 PM PDT
I always like to kill people to get the ball rolling. If that won't work, then I start writing whatever comes to my head. Write the scenes you want quickly, even blandly if you want. There's no reason for you to get it perfect the first time around; that's what re-writes are for. Get over your fear of getting it perfect, and just get it done. Once you get it done, then you're further than 95% of people that have ever tried to write a story. And it doesn't matter how long it takes. Some people take most of their life. Some people just take an afternoon. One of my favorite books, As I Lay Dying, is one of the most critically acclaimed English language books ever written. It was done in six weeks.

Posted: 5/23/2009 6:09 AM PDT
Jetta is such a good name!!! Thank you so much slg87, your offically my life saver. And your right about the writing thing, I should just put it down. Cheers for that.

Posted: 5/22/2009 8:51 PM PDT
If you know what you want to write, write it. Worry about how good it sounds later. Describe your detail in general, and then come back later. You can always edit it to make it better. First, though, you have to write something down. It will never get out of your head if you don't. Get it out now, or you may lose it in your head. It can take forever to write something. I started my novels when I was a senior in high school, and now I'm a senior in college. And, guess what? They're still not done. I really feel for my characters. It's like they're real people to me. I can't stop until I'm done with their stories. If you really want to tell the story, you will tell it. Eventually. Have faith in yourself. I've found that looking at name meaning dictionaries helps me pick names. I looked up some for you, but if you don't like these all you have to do is google 'name meanings' and search the websites that come up. The meanings are in parentheses. Raven (black bird) Kalli (black goddess) Jetta (black gem) :)

Posted: 5/22/2009 5:05 AM PDT
I'm in the process of writing my first novel. I'm determined to get it done but hell is it hard. People are always telling me that it takes about two years or something to write a novel. I know what I want to write, I can see the scenes laid out perfectly, it's describing them thats killing me. I've had writers block for 8 months now with the little burst of maybe six or seven paragraphs every now and then. I even got a whole scene done the other night! I dunno what to do anymore, any tips, any anything!! Also I was wondering if you could help out, I need to come up with a name for a necromancer. She has black straight hair, red eyes, pale skin, black clothes, a staff and a black rose tattooed on the left side of her neck. If anybody can give this beauty a good strong name, you will be my life saver. PLEASE HELP!!!