This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

This is the official "give to get" feedback forum. Post what you are looking for and strike up a deal with a fellow WEbooker. Please read "New Feedback Forum Explained" before you post.
Posted: 6/29/2014 7:02 PM PDT
Thanks a lot! I was just looking for a little prespective and this is great :)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/29/2014 12:12 PM PDT
It depends what you're trying to do.

Modernising Shakespeare and fairy tales is generally okay because they're fairly broad, cliched story lines. This applies less to things like Of Mice and Men because whilst they're representative/allegorical, they are more precise in terms of the stories that they tell.

As far as I understand, taking the same story line/ principle and applying it to a modern scenario would be fine. If I were you, I'd contact someone like this:

http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/estate-of-john-steinbeck/ 

and ask. Of course, if you're writing purely for enjoyment, you needn't worry.

I hope this helps!

Posted: 6/24/2014 1:08 PM PDT
Hey all,

I was throwing around some ideas for a new story, and I was wondering- does anyone know if updated versions of classic novels would be considered plaigarism? For example, I know that Romeo and Juliet is covered hundreds of times a year, all in new and creative ways, so I guess things like Shakespeare and fairy tales are a green light, right? But what about something more modern, say a new take on Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men or Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye? Would new adaptations of these semi modern classics be considered plagiarism, or new and unique? Let me know what you guys think, thanks!