This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/10/2008 1:55 AM PDT
My first step with writers block is to take a break - but I make it a defined amount of time. As in, if I haven't written anything on the project within a week I'm going to sit and do a re-evalutation. At that stage I decide whether the project is worth salvaging or not because if I'm unispired by it all week sometimes there is a reason. If I decide to try and proceed I tend to write bits and pieces. Can't write the start, skip to some dialogue that I have clear in my head. Can't get interested in building up tension and driving the plot forward, skip to the climax. Have a great finishing line, work backwards from there. So that's where it ends. What happens immediately before that and so on. Usually this method of writing requires massive rewriting later, but as long as I keep working on the bits eventually the story emerges. Finally, if I can't get into any writing, I'll pick an object that I can see and start writing (usually description but sometimes I'll start talking about using the object and soon one thing leads to another). My story Exam Anxiety in the Acutality project was inspired by a stupid free pencil I was given as a uni student advertising some agency I can't even remember what they do. But it has a little red monster pencil topper and its still sitting on my desk. Describing that led to an entire story unfolding, admitedly a short story, but I was writing and it didn't turn out half bad.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/9/2008 10:43 PM PDT
i think it depends on what you writing specifically, but i found that to be the best method in my writing as well

Posted: 9/9/2008 9:12 PM PDT
You're writing style sounds a lot like mine-- where you have characters and compelling scenes, but no beginning. What I do (and this works well enough for me) is I write down the scenes as they come to me-- finished or not. Eventually, you'll start pulling the scenes together and you'll have your story. No one ever said that when you start writing, you have to start at the begining. Work on what you have, and the more time you spend with it, the more ideas you'll find you'll get!

Posted: 9/9/2008 12:43 PM PDT
If you're looking for an actual line to add to what's written on the back of the photo -- I'd stick in something that will drive future action. Like: Note to self: Meet and get to know this girl Saturday morning, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens This determines what the writer of the note is going to do to make line #2 happen -- he's going to go to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens on Saturday morning, to try to meet this girl. (Presumably he already knows she hangs out there, for whatever reason.) Now you know you have to write the scene where he goes to the garden! (I'm assuming that you meant "future girlfriend" in your original post. If she's already his girlfriend, why does he have to meet and get to know her?)

Posted: 8/22/2008 4:15 PM PDT
Depending on what the current situation was with the girl, or the exact significance of the note on the back of the photograph, I'd go into some description of the flourish under the note. "Underlined carelessly, as if the writer were looking away as he finished the note." Then find some metaphor to tie that thought back to the feeling/situation at hand. It might be lame, but that's what I'd do. Cheers.

Posted: 8/14/2008 10:34 AM PDT
Help me. I need something to add to a note to self for one of my characters. The note is on the back of a photo of his girlfriend. It already says Note to Self Meet and get to know this girl. Help Help Help

Posted: 8/12/2008 2:00 AM PDT
I sooo understand where you are coming from! My computer is filled with unfinished stories because of the same problem! I started doing the "Break down individual characters" thing and it helped a bit, but I still get stuck, so if you figure out what to do, let me know! LOL!

Posted: 8/11/2008 6:43 AM PDT
ok my problem is I have great ideas and when I somehow figure out how to start it, for awhile its like a raging inferno of typing and words and then...nothing. The fire's died down to embers of lost inspiration as another idea pops into my head, mentally beating my first idea out of my mind for long periods of time. it's quite annoying really as a writer. I've started over a dozen or more stories that never get past the climax or even get to the climax. I'm so tired! HELP ME!

Posted: 8/11/2008 2:09 AM PDT
Well, in my project I've been working on I was stuck for months on chapter nine with has a terrible scene in it, it is a rape scene, or leading up to it anyways. Well, after I finally managed to get that chapter out I felt great and ready to move on only to get stuck at the second paragraph of chapter 10! Now I am stuck all over again. I know what is supposed to happen but I just can't get it to come out. Any ideas? This chapter is supposed to be the post-rape chapter and one character asking for forgiveness. The way I am blocked it seems forgiveness is a long time coming for my poor character...

Posted: 7/30/2008 2:11 PM PDT
Just write the scenes and sentences. Then try to connect them. You don't have to start at the beginning and end at the end. Write was comes to mind and put them together later or totally scrap them, depending on where the flow takes you.

Posted: 7/30/2008 2:10 PM PDT
If you like music, turn whatever you use to listen to shuffle and listen until a song gives you an image, feeling, setting, anything. Then put that song on repeat and write a short piece (100-200 words) about that image. I tend to make the count exact, cuz I like perfectionist things like that. Guess what? You've just written something. Do that a few times and you should be able to go back to whatever project you're currently working on.

Posted: 7/26/2008 5:32 PM PDT
Ok so I have writer's block. I have ALL these sentences and scenes running through my head and the ONLY problem is I have NO CLUE where to begin. I haven't started writting because I don't know where to begin... I'm wondering if I should just start writting and see where that leads me... what should I do?

Posted: 5/30/2008 9:28 AM PDT
The new 911 Writer's Block project (http://www.webook.com/project/911-Writers-Block) is the place to go to share your stories and scenes inspired by 911 Writer's Block prompts!

Posted: 5/23/2008 6:45 AM PDT
Every writer knows the terror of the blank screen. In fact, studies show that at any given moment, billions of people are not writing anything at all. Leading experts infer that some of these people may be victims of Writer’s Block. If left untreated, Writer’s Block may lead to chronic disappointment, bitterness, and despair. Don’t let this happen to you! Use this forum to air your writers block woes, and to share your tricks and tips for getting un-stuck. Need to vent? Tell your fellow WEbookers where you're stuck. And if you know something that works, help a WEbooker out. Favorite writing prompts! Writing exercises! The craziest thing you've ever done to get the words to come! We want to hear it all here. Together, we get beat this debilitating condition.