This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A place for Round 3 Raters (and writers!) to discuss their experiences
Posted: 6/3/2011 2:03 PM PDT
I'd be interested to know how many people have actually joined this website. Whether it's a few hundred, few thousand or tens of thousands. Of the people joined up, how many submit entries and how many rate at each level? I would have assumed that if there were more than a sufficient number of people on this site and I'm talking many many thousands, then there shouldn't really be a issue of a lack of Round 3 submissions as well as a healthy turn over ratings enabling frequent elevations. I'm someone that likes to know the numbers. Say for example, if there were 50,000 people registered on here, but only 1000 people actively entering round 1 subs, across all the categories available it can possibly be only a few entries in some categories whilst others having more. Maybe this lends to a lack of elevations for some writers. When we get the later rounds, how many then bother continuing their submissions and how many bother to rate the higher rounds. From reading some of the posts in the forums it's a lot of the same people commenting which leads me to believe there's only a relatively small amount of Expert Raters, which lends to a slow uplift. It also makes me think that there is not a large user base on here. Hopefully I'm wrong or at the very least the reader base is still young and growing larger. I think this is a wonderful service to have and with the various comments around on this site can lend to improvements and greater exposure to publishing houses, literary agents and of course the readers and writers out there.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/24/2010 6:15 PM PDT
Double thanks, Finnean. Sorry about that, Lanette. I'm never sure if people are using thier first, last, or made up names on thier We Book profiles. Two kids? I feel for you. My two boys are 10 and 7 . . . they do take up a lot of time and energy! Kids or not, life does get in the way, doesn't it? Kuddos to all for making (finding) the time to be part of this.

Posted: 10/24/2010 5:27 PM PDT
Thanks, Finn!

Posted: 10/24/2010 4:25 PM PDT
You're welcome, Lilly. But please call me Lanette. It feels weird to have my first and last name used when I'm being addressed. It's hard work, but it's fun. The problem has been in finding time. Working full-time and being the mother of two kids (the third one will be 21 in two months, so I don't consider him with regards to time and effort) puts a crimp on my time, but I put in effort into my writing, and I also put effort into rating because I'm 100% behind this contest. What I don't have time to do anymore is read. I started reading THE PAINTER FROM SHANGHAI about two months ago, and I'm not even half way through.

Posted: 10/24/2010 3:34 PM PDT
I'll admit I haven't read any round 3's in like three weeks. Sorry everybody. Life's gotten in the way. I'll get back to it ASAP and hopefully if we all keep working together we can push this thing through to the end.

Posted: 10/24/2010 2:27 PM PDT
Thanks to you too, Skyval. And since I didn't say it earlier, good luck to you as well!

Posted: 10/24/2010 2:26 PM PDT
Thanks, LanetteKauten, for the personal rating, your reply, AND being a round three rater. 800 ratings, wow! That's a lot of work and something to aspire to. I'm not sure I can be that productive, but I'll try. The feedback I've gotten in round 3 so far has been detailed, specific, and thoughtful, not to mention helpful! Hopefully more people will read this thread and realize how much work you guys put into round 3 entries, as well as what it took for you to get there.

Posted: 10/24/2010 7:37 AM PDT
Hi Lilly and Lanette. I also have an entry in Round 3 which I uploaded September 18. Six ratings so far. Round 3 is very slow going. I'm a Round 3 rater and have rated all but 2, I think. I rated you, Lilly so I've done my part. The 50 page entries do take a lot of time, but I'm an insomniac so I generally rate in the mornings at 4am. I can see how those that actually sleep would have less time to rate! Lanette, I'm also surprised to see how some writers who have made it to Round 3 haven't rated at all. Seems like they'd be at least curious to what else is out there.

Posted: 10/24/2010 6:05 AM PDT
Unfortunately, just like with everything else in this contest, the criteria has not been published. They base it on how one's ratings match other raters and the agents. However, all the Round 3 raters, including myself, that I know about have done at least 700 or 800 ratings. BTW, Lilly, I enjoyed reading and rating your entry.

Posted: 10/23/2010 8:45 PM PDT
Thanks LanetteKauten, I appreciate the feedback. It's hard to find the time to rate more than a handful of round 2 entrants a week, but you're right, and I'll try and get my tush in gear. I've rated about 250 entrants all togther, which isn't much better than 204. Though I guess I wouldn't say 204 is terrible either. It's definitely better than 1 :-) On the other hand, I didn't commit to rating longer submissions (or any for that matter), though there's a lot to be said for the golden rule. I'd love to be a round three rater . . . do you know what the criteria is?

Posted: 10/23/2010 6:06 PM PDT
That's because a lot of people have only rated just a few since they started in this contest. Two of the Round 3 entrants have only rated 1 submission each. Another has only rated 204. Since there are so few of us that have rated enough to become Round 3 raters, the ratings are slow in coming in this round. The more people dedicate themselves to this contest, the less complaints we'll get for slow ratings.

Posted: 10/23/2010 12:51 PM PDT
I'm not a round three rater but do have a round three submission in the queue. I'm wondering if anyone (round three writer's or raters) can tell me how a submission gets elevated if it isn't getting rated. I'm also curious if anyone might be able to shed light as to why a submission isn't being rated. I submitted my fifty pages on September 27th and only have five ratings to date (with an 80% pass rate). I'd appreciate any feedback and/or advice. Thanks everyone!