This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 8/10/2008 7:22 PM PDT
Congratulations on getting clean. I know that that must have took a lot of strength and courage, so good job. Also, as the other's have said, it is clear that you have a good imagination still, and that you know how to put your words together to make them work, so not all is lost. Although I agree with what a lot of people have said about writing about and creating the person you want to be, I have a slightly different tactic. What if you wrote a piece of creative nonfiction? You could take the basis of who you are, what made you turn to drugs, and who you want to be, and turn it into a fiction piece. Stick with the main truelife details of your story when writing this piece, but feel free to embelish it and add things here and there. Not only will you probably find this very theraputic and that it helps you to figure out who you want to be and to become that person, but it will also probably be an inspiration to many other readers. In addition, by writing in this style, it may be easier since you already know the story, and are free to experiment with changing details and descriptions, but do not have to feel as though you have to have the upmost level of imagination when writing it. Without the pressure, I feel that your story will come a lot easier to you. Good luck!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/10/2008 4:45 AM PDT
Well, sometimes plots can come randomly or just from something you randomly think up that's interesting to you. Especially if it's something arbitrary so like take things that are relevant to your own personal interests, things you would like to research or already are really stoked about and just build from it there. I play video games and my latest idea was 'How cool would it be to do like a fantasy story where it was just set in one city the entire time. No epic quest, but medieval GTA with a conspiracy?' And I just kept thinking and thinking and eventually BAM! I've got a plot in the works.

Posted: 8/10/2008 12:16 AM PDT
Hey the plot gnomes can help you out! Hi Ho Hi Ho. You are holding your imagination too tight if you did not smile at that first bit. You need to learn to let it go where it wants then when it is time to reign it in and harness it for work. Your ability to organize (part of your mind that is not imagination) is dependent on having a direction to go in. So to aid this some kind of plan that suits your style of writing. Your imagination will come up with a general idea maybe even specifics. The other will fill in the details. Good luck with that:)

Posted: 8/9/2008 1:55 PM PDT
Hey, I smoke a lot of weed and I find that I have this problem also - at first when I started getting high I was really prolific and wrote loads of stuff experimenting with form etc, but now I am really struggling for ideas and when I do get one I immediately think "Oh no one would ever want to read that". My biggest problem is thinking that every story has been told in the world - for instance if I want to write a fantasty novel I'll want to put in witches and wizards and dragons etc, but all that has been done in Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings etc. But really I just have to write it and persevere - so what if people don't like it? If we (the authors) like it, that's all that matters. I write for the personal satisfaction that I get from playing around with words and saying or describing something in a new and unique way. When I make those connections in my mind I get a small rush all over, I love it. And my ideas come out of the world around me; for instance I'll see something on TV which will set off my train of thought, then my mind will start thinking about "what if" scenarios and then bang! something comes. I'm finding it hard to write but at the moment if there's an idea that just won't go out of my head I'll jot it down in a plan and keep working on it over months/years. And I need to learn some discipline too, definitely! Why not try just sitting down to write every day for half an hour - write about anything - how you feel about something on the news, something that made you angry or happy, your dream house, what you want to achieve - just anything! but make it creative, add metaphors and descriptions even if its just a shopping list. I reckon something will come eventually. Good luck with your ideas, things will definitely come!! And relax, I find I always write when I'm relaxed.

Posted: 8/8/2008 4:59 AM PDT
Hey Samantha. First of all, I applaud your success with getting clean. I know it wasn't easy but you did it, and you should be proud of yourself. Secondly, you should give yourself small writing goals and not try to write a novel at this point in time. Just write a short story about a character, and event, an object...whatever comes to mind, but just write about that one thing. Also, try to write a comedy. Think of a funny event that happened in your own life and write it out. Then put a character that is different from you into the same situation. If you'd like to read a comedy novel, I recommend Bloodsucking Fiends, A Love Story or The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, both by Christopher Moore. So I hope this helps you out, and take care.

Posted: 8/4/2008 2:23 PM PDT
You don't have to be that girl yet, just write as the girl you want to be, convince yourself that you are her, because you know what parts of you are inside. Go from there. Think through the colors you want to see everything under. I have awful writers block most days, and can only randomly write when emotionally jarred, and I ramble nonsense things. Good luck though :)

Posted: 8/3/2008 10:57 AM PDT
Hello Samantha, Plot & characters come together as you start the journey of writing your story. I get my characters from my readers ;-) I have a MySpace page where I have hundreds of readers that are my muses. You'd be surprise how many of my readers are the characters of my stories. Some of them send my the plot (usually an experience they had or currently in) and want me to writ it into a story. This really helps understanding and developing characters because these are real people with real things happening in their lives. My two latest stories Raven Simone and Criss~Cross are two such stories about two of my readers. These are real lives and feels that are unfolding for the world to read but in story form. But for all of my stories (short or novellas) I first create the Book Cover. This is key to my inspiration and connects to my basis for the story. It also helps set the tone for the reader. From there it's music. I play music based on the scene I'm writing or feeling. This is very key to feeling how the character and plot feels which fuels my imagination. Visit my my website to see what I mean http://johnmarionfrancis.com/ to see what I mean. I also create a list of potential story titles along with small descriptions of what I think it would be about. This helps put your ideas out where you can see them. I write several stories at once, usual 3-5. This eliminates writers block. I think a lot of writers make the mistake of trying to write one complete story at a time. Finally, like the others have pointed out, your posting is very good and well written. Now just sit, put on some music, absorb the mood and let you words flow. Edit later, just write... ~Jonathon~

Posted: 8/3/2008 3:52 AM PDT
Wow, you all have been such great help. The whole "it comes naturally" thing is what I used to do. I guess it was working ok for me. That makes me nervous becuase then I project to the ending and wonder how I'll manage to tie it all together. But maybe that will just fall in line, too. And it not, oh well. It's not like writing is ever a wasted effort, even if no one ever reads it. And Aloria, I really like what you said about setting the character, then the conflict they encounter. If you know your character well enough, it would make sense that you could see how they would react and what situations could come from it. Thank you for the replies. This website has been awesome for the support I've been seeking. Honestly, I felt very lonely about all this lately. So it's nice to hear from other writes. Thanks guys! :)

Posted: 8/1/2008 11:19 AM PDT

Aloria
another trick of writing is to _just write_ the more you do it, the more it'll come. my trick to writing plots (when I can get a good idea to run with) is to set up my characters and then set up a situation and let them run through it - then I'll figure out the worst possible thing that can happen in consequence and have that happen next. (I'm glad I'll never meet the peopleI create. they would kill me) However, from what you said, I don't think that's quite what you want to do, so, maybe try this instead: Create your main character create where they come from, where they live now have something happen that makes them have to leave and they can't come back until they've finished their quest. The next step is to choose who you want your character to BE when they're finished with everything and can go home. Now think of situations that the character would grow and learn from, both bad and good, give them a reason to change and want to become better. Maybe this will help you figure out who you want to be as well. ... another option is not bothering with plot at all and writing memoirs in hopes that other people will be inspired by your experiences and figure out how to become a better version of themselves.

Posted: 8/1/2008 7:56 AM PDT
I don't think you've lost it. Look what you just wrote!! The trick to writing is to clear your mind of everything... maybe try meditation just before you start to write and write anything that comes to mind. It might not make sense right off the hop but you can put it in order later. The most important thing is to write from the heart, no matter what the subject. Hope this helps and good luck. Terri

Posted: 8/1/2008 4:15 AM PDT
Whoops, sorry...

Posted: 8/1/2008 4:14 AM PDT
For me, the best way to create a plot... is nothing. I'm not good at it, it usually just comes as I go.. You could start off with just beginning to write(that's what I do) ; set the scene for the maincharacter; like the person you'd like to become. And then it comes naturally. You just have to have the ideal life set in your mind, and let it form it's way. For the other characters, I usually watch movies, and get inspired off their characters, like Tristan and Isolde, or anything. Just pick your fave movie, and note some habits or appearances for some persons, and you can start to picture your original persons in your mind. Don't feel so miserable; it's the old saying: What comes around goes around. Or what you send out, you will get in return, so don't send that negative feeling out.. or think ''I can't write, or think of a plot,'' because then you can't... By the way, as Harvette wrote, you have a great way of describing things, so people really follow what you mean. So I think you should take advantage of that!!! Good luck (: - Austen

Posted: 8/1/2008 4:14 AM PDT
For me, the best way to create a plot... is nothing. I'm not good at it, it usually just comes as I go.. You could start off with just beginning to write(that's what I do) ; set the scene for the maincharacter; like the person you'd like to become. And then it comes naturally. You just have to have the ideal life set in your mind, and let it form it's way. For the other characters, I usually watch movies, and get inspired off their characters, like Tristan and Isolde, or anything. Just pick your fave movie, and note some habits or appearances for some persons, and you can start to picture your original persons in your mind. Don't feel so miserable; it's the old saying: What comes around goes around. Or what you send out, you will get in return, so don't send that negative feeling out.. or think ''I can't write, or think of a plot,'' because then you can't... By the way, as Harvette wrote, you have a great way of describing things, so people really follow what you mean. So I think you should take advantage of that!!! Good luck (: - Austen

Posted: 8/1/2008 3:07 AM PDT
Samantha, I have pretty much the same problem you have, so I may not be alot of help. I usually start with something that I feel particularly good about writing. This could be a chararacter, a setting or a subject. I get my piece to the point where I think it's pretty good, even though I'm not sure what will come next. Then I find myself going through my regular day and every now and then a possibility for what might come next pops in my head. I sometimes dismiss these ideas for one reason or another and sometimes work with them a little until I can begin to write it down. That's it, hon. That's how I do it. By the way, you have good description power as noted by your colorful description of what you don't want to write.

Posted: 7/31/2008 3:07 PM PDT
Well I would say that whenever you are on a natural high try and remember how you feel at that moment and go by that. I wish I could help you more but other than that I am at a loss.

Posted: 7/28/2008 12:26 AM PDT
God, when I was 16 I was so imaginative. I can bear my soul on this website, I feel because none of you know me so where comes some honesty. As writers, I trust that you won't judge. You may even find me to be inspiration for a story, haha! So I started shooing heroin 2 years ago and I haven't written since. I'm sober now, but I can't get my muse back. I can't write anymore because anything I have to write about, I don't want to. I don't want to make another drug story. I don't want another tortured main character surrounded by lower companions. I don't want everything I write to come out sounding like shades of grey and naby blue and sage green with some splattered blood drops over it. That's so sad, so depressing. I want to write a character based on the person I'm trying to become. Not the person I have been in the past. But I haven't become her yet, so I can't figure it out. Think of the movie Big Fish... with circus performers and magic acts and bright colors and an awkward main character with the most entrancing appeal about her. You don't understand, but you keep reading. I have no idea how to create a plot. No. Fucking. Idea. Like so clueless, it's like I never even knew before. Does anyone have some like cheap solve-all guide to creating a plot? Setting the story.. the characters and who they are, and then at least kicking it off in some kind of direction? Someone please help me. I'm not ok with feeling like I'll never write again, or at least not something I'm proud of.