This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > PageToFame > Wow....Ratings are strange!
Questions or comments about PageToFame? Let us know!
Posted: 4/7/2014 11:36 AM PDT
Page to fame is an odd thing, as is the feedback within it

I have a couple of pieces on page to fame, and to be honest I  have 2 gripes

The first on is concerning the fact that it has taken a month to amass 3 ratings, Suggesting that there is a massive mismatch between those anting their work rated And those prepared to rate and feedback on other peoples.

My other is, I think an interesting one.

I realise that my story is not fantastic and has been rated a 3 by all that have read it. That is fine, however the feedback from at least said that there was an issue with my spelling

I read my page again, I had an English teacher friend of mine to look at the offending page

“No”, she said “Can’t see it”.

Then I had a brainwave, I took my page and ran it through a spelling and grammar checker, changing the settings from English UK to English US before I did so. Low and behold, a host of spelling mistakes and one grammar error appeared.

I would ask those in the UK and in the United States picking up spelling mistakes please think about where the author of the work you are rating comes from.  If it is an American writing please remember it is 'the color is gray', if it is an Englishman writing 'the colour is grey'.

So we need to be careful if the only reason a rating is low is because of the spelling that we are not penalising because of our common yet different language  
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/28/2014 2:23 PM PST

pdsa1
Surely third time lucky right I wonder if it will double post this ROFL! 

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:37 PM PST

pdsa1
it's done it again damn it!

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:37 PM PST

pdsa1
it's done it again damn it!

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:36 PM PST

pdsa1
Yes I know a double post sorry but there was a small glitch that made me do this... an error on the websites part. 
Not my intention at all.

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:36 PM PST

pdsa1
Yes I know a double post sorry but there was a small glitch that made me do this... an error on the websites part. 
Not my intention at all.

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:35 PM PST

pdsa1
Hi I have starting to think that some of the low rating that most of the authors' get when they summit their work is by personal gain to
increase the numbers to get to top rater and they for leave bullying or unsavory feedback with little or no reason why I have posted a new project called ' Fickle feedback on PagetoFame.  Feel free to check it out. Be warned I do get very emotional with bullying or hurtful comments 
as you will read. Please feel free to add you own. Thanks. 

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:35 PM PST

pdsa1
Hi I have starting to think that some of the low rating that most of the authors' get when they summit their work is by personal gain to
increase the numbers to get to top rater and they for leave bullying or unsavory feedback with little or no reason why I have posted a new project called ' Fickle feedback on PagetoFame.  Feel free to check it out. Be warned I do get very emotional with bullying or hurtful comments 

Posted: 2/27/2014 1:34 PM PST

pdsa1
increase the numbers to get to top rater and they for leave bullying or unsavory feedback with little or no reason why I have posted a new project called ' Fickle feedback on PagetoFame.  Feel free to check it out. Be warn I do get very emotional with bullying or hurtful comments 

Posted: 12/15/2013 9:40 AM PST
All feedback is essential, both good and bad. With (honest) feedback, we listen, we learn and we grow, and we become better at our craft. Afterall, a reader is a prospect, and as an author, our job is to provide for our audience, to give them what they want.

A few days ago I posted on the forum, concerning the ratings system, not giving adequate feedback, with actual human words, that the reviewer meant by their actions for rating a story, as I'm sure it would help all the budding authors to know exactly what it is the reviewer is not happy about.

I had 3 reviews on my story, so far, and one reviewer actually placed a rating of 2#,' with words, too. Telling me I need to cut out some unnecessary words to make the story flow better. As you can imagine, I edited and re,submitted, now.

I want to thank you, that reviewer on webook, for thoughtfully helping in my quest to become published with my novel.

Posted: 12/12/2013 9:54 AM PST
Yes, I got the same today. Rated 1, with no other feedback, just 'writing needs work' it would be really helpful to budding authors' for the reviewer to spill the beans a little, and reveal the unfortunate pieces for the writer 

Posted: 4/18/2011 10:59 AM PDT
This doesn't really qualify as a 'strange' rating but I wanted to share it because it's the sort of thing I value.... 'Closer to a 3, but this was original. I'll give you cred for that.' Rating: 4 The above comment is solid gold. It tells me that I have a long way to go, but encourages me to keep on with it by recognising the potential of the idea. Loved it! :)

Posted: 4/13/2011 6:24 PM PDT
Thanks, Lanette. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Posted: 4/13/2011 3:20 PM PDT
Sorry, Senor Squirrel, but I like the original opening better. The original would have gotten a 5 from me, but sadly I gave it a 4. I still can't understand how it was barely readable because of grammar problems. That's crazy! Your R3 isn't in the system, yet. I enjoy reviewing, so when I have time, I jump on the R3s pretty fast.

Posted: 4/13/2011 1:34 PM PDT
Wow, Lanette, you're fast. That just went in this weekend. I've got the 50-page version in Round 3 (although my submission page still says "Your sample is being checked for formatting and will appear here soon" for the past two weeks, so I don't know if it's in the system yet) — but I rewrote the opening and added four paragraphs of intro exposition, so I wanted to test it out. I happened to have an unused Round 2 submission sitting around and entered it. I'm curious if you liked the new opening (if you remember the old one from the RC). And yeah, we're a coupla' unejukated swells.

Posted: 4/13/2011 12:43 PM PDT
THE INNER EYE? I just read the 5 p submission yesterday. I understood every word you wrote with clarity. Either we went to the same unejukated gramer skool and thats Y i git ur ritin or rater is a dumbass.

Posted: 4/13/2011 11:35 AM PDT
ok, I have to share. I just got this comment: "Grammar too poor to understand what the narrator is talking about." Damn, putting words together has always been my problem. Busted!

Posted: 4/12/2011 3:43 PM PDT
Weight, I'm versatile, I can go either way on the subject.

Posted: 4/12/2011 10:04 AM PDT
I can't decide whether my favourite moronic comment is Kim's romance novel is chick lit (obviously written by an Einstein wannabe) or Devi's dumb it down for women... I'll call it a draw. :) I liked Devi's response though - it's a pity we don't have that option on PTF!!

Posted: 4/12/2011 6:07 AM PDT
I wish there was a LIKE button here. I just spit out my coffee!

Posted: 4/12/2011 4:29 AM PDT
Was that with or without your standing offer to male agents?

Posted: 4/11/2011 11:53 PM PDT
and fingerprints:)

Posted: 4/11/2011 9:23 PM PDT
Well, Devi - you do tend to leave quite an impression on people.

Posted: 4/11/2011 9:11 PM PDT
I think my name is on a list somewhere as an author they regard with a gesture!

Posted: 4/11/2011 6:30 PM PDT
Good reply - do you think he understood those single-syllable words??? Maybe a hand gesture would help...

Posted: 4/11/2011 6:25 PM PDT
A couple years ago one of the first replies I ever got in response to a query letter, was from a literary agent advising - "....your writing is too intellectual. Your genre for this book is women's literature and you need to dumb it down a little and use smaller words and shorter sentences. I wrote back to the guy, "Fuck you. Dick!"

Posted: 4/11/2011 4:42 PM PDT
Congrats Sue! The dumb ass (aka imbecile, but broken into two smaller words) has just paid you a lovely compliment. Kind of like the moron who said they didn't like my romance novel because it was chicklit.

Posted: 4/11/2011 12:53 PM PDT
Don't you just love it when your wording is so spot on, the raters peg the characterization perfectly with just a small passage, and they still give you a 2?

Posted: 4/11/2011 7:50 AM PDT
Just had to share this comment with someone... 'Use smaller words, the language makes you come off like a lovesick teenage girl.' Rating: 2 Use smaller words?? (for some reason, the word imbecile springs to mind here - is that word too big, do you think?) And, news flash, this first section of the story IS from the POV of a lovesick girl (she's just turned 20 - not quite a teenager) so actually, thanks - seems I got the wording just right!

Posted: 4/8/2011 4:51 AM PDT
I just got a 2 for switching back and forth between past and present-tense. Don't people know that when you're in the present and you talk about the past, you speak in past-tense, not present-tense? I got shot down for making a rookie mistake when my tenses were spot on by a guy/girl who doesn't understand that when someone is currently talking about a situation a few years ago, they don't speak in present-tense. That's idiotic!

Posted: 4/7/2011 2:15 PM PDT
"The idea is pretty unique but I have seen it done before ... and better." I have gotten this comment before too! Verbatim.

Posted: 3/19/2011 5:31 PM PST
I just hate how little characters they allow into the first submission. Maybe it's just cause I'm new to putting my work out for people to read. I wrote the first chapter of my book and I wanted to post it on PTF that's when I noticed that I could only do one page. I had to take out so much just post it. I fear this may have hurt my chances on good ratings for the PTF. I had over 1000 words for my rough draft on my first chapter.

Posted: 3/16/2011 11:06 AM PST
I rarely give 1s. If I think the writing or idea is substandard, I will give it a 2, but I give 1s only to people whose writing is so wretched that they should give it up completely and try another hobby. On the other hand ... I get 1s so maybe some people think I should give it up! The whole thing makes me schizo. I had one that started with five straight 4s but has now dropped to 43%. Another dropped way down to 16% and then suddenly had a big run up and is now at 50%. The last comment I got really nailed me though - "The idea is pretty unique but I have seen it done before ... and better." Ouch! I am learning and making adjustments though. As devi will attest, I start too many stories with history lesson expositions and I am now making a concerted effort to change that and lead with my action. I am very happy with my latest submission which has its first vote today and it got a 4.

Posted: 3/12/2011 2:53 PM PST
I like the idea of forced feedback. I can see why someone might think 2 or 3 if they look at my first page, based on opinion, but where do these 1's come from? This is from an opening page that caught an agents attention online and spurred her to contact me asking me to submit. Other agents who have rejected my MS have told me that I came very close and that my writing is excellent and I just have to wait for the magic to happen with the right agent. So, for that reason, I think I should at least get a 3. I get lots of 1s and 2s though, and it would be great if even ONE of them would tell me why. 81 votes in on my one submission, and though I hold my elevation rate (though it's been on a decline all of a sudden lately.) I have gotten enough 1/2/3's that I'd expect to have more feedback at this point as to why. I always try to vote being a little kind. So if I think something is a 3, I will give it a 4. If I think 4, I might give it a 5.

Posted: 3/12/2011 1:41 PM PST
I think the idea of forced feedback is a good one. At least that way, authors would get a better idea of where they're going wrong. As I said, I have no idea why a 1 was left on my submissions and, as I've also received 5s on the same submissions, I'm confused! Maybe I should just take the middle ground as a true reflection of where my writing is at? The 3s outweigh anything else!

Posted: 3/12/2011 1:22 PM PST
I find myself giving 1s all the time. Going on the basis that a 1 should be scrapped, there is a LOT of scrap on PTF. Based solely on what is presented, a lot of them should be just tossed and the idea recycled into something useful. And god, some of the writing is just awful! And many times its not lack of experience or something that can't be helped - its laziness! A typo is a typo, but an actual error is a product of laziness. Lazy writing is bad writing. And then there are the multitudes of entries where the writer just doesn't read a lot - it always shows.

Posted: 3/12/2011 1:11 PM PST
Whether it's numerical or pass/fail, what I would like to see is forced feedback. It's rare to see something so bad as to merit a 1, and I think the majority of 1s given out are dishonest. At least forced feedback will slow down the raters who enjoy drive by 1s.

Posted: 3/12/2011 12:46 PM PST
I always post 'something else' when I do a 1, 2, 4, and (on the very few occasions it has happened) a 5. 3's seem to be what everyone else uses as 1 or 2. I wish they would do a pass/fail and forced feedback rather than this numerical thing.

Posted: 3/12/2011 12:36 PM PST
Oh yes, PTF ratings are indeed strange... both my current submissions got their first 1s today (probably from the same person) - I'll be honest, I was waiting for it. That'll teach me to write stuff that is SO bad... though I notice that they didn't have the decency to write something in the 'something else' box to let me know what the problem was... In fact, no one who has left a 1 score on my subs has 'ever' let me know why. They just do a hit and run... so brave! :)

Posted: 3/3/2011 12:59 PM PST
Welcome to our world, Robert.

Posted: 3/3/2011 9:20 AM PST
I have just started the page to fame process and I am immediately learning a great deal. The ratings are all over the place. On the same submission, I get a 1 and a 5 back to back. I write well and I can understand the 2s I get when someone just doesn't take to my writing but I have difficulty swallowing a 1. I try to reserve such a low rating for only the most wretched submissions that I see. Oh well, I guess someone really hated my stuff.