This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Genre Café > Poetry Forum and Discussion > Has WeBook poetry died or not?
An online poetry forum that covers it all: meter, verse, style, content, inspiration--and much more.
Posted: 4/15/2013 10:48 AM PDT
Then why not 're-think' how we use Webook, as poets? Poets in general need to be re-thinking how they post their work in an online forum, so this could be a good practice. I myself post poems that have been 1) previously published, and I own the rights to them, 2) have such a narrow focus that I doubt they would be published, or I would prefer to 'publish' it myself online because it is time sensitive, 3) are first drafts that I wish to revise but am not sure how to (revised versions of 'published' pieces are not 'published', as long as enough is changed). If you are able to remove your poem from the internet before submitting for publication, most journals/magazines will take it- this is easier when your in-progress poems are posted in one place instead of willy-nilly everywhere. Like you said, there's not much money-making in poetry- and there is certainly not much potential to be publishing through WeBook as of yet (though there might be soon, considering the changes they plan to implement regarding poetry). There are no Agents for publishing poetry, so AgentInbox never applied to us anyways- but why don't we, as a community, commit to educating and helping each other publish through already established avenues? I'm twenty years old and I've published sixty-four poems individually, as well as a chapbook collection of poems- all through traditional presses, journals and magazine submission processes. Once WeBook has established its parameters for its new publishing venture, we might see how we can wedge our way in to that. But as it is, we have a platform that is ripe for networking and collaboration between poets who tend to be otherwise radically isolated- and we shouldn't throw it away just because it doesn't give us an express ticket to publication. We should promote it and use it in the ways that it CAN be used, so that we have the voice to be able to change the possible uses when the time comes.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 4/15/2013 7:57 AM PDT

Satyr
Sorry for the multiple postings - a message told me something had 'gone wrong' when I posted the message below the first time and now I seem to have posted the message three times.

Posted: 4/15/2013 7:54 AM PDT

Satyr
You are, of course, correct in what you say LizbethRose. If enough people want to make the site 'live' as a vibrant place for the production of new poetry and ideas about poetry then it will, like the Phoenix, catch fire and be a p-lace of beauty. The trouble is that people like Gonzo were responsible for some incredible projects that had interesting themes and great poetry. He was prepared to work at editing and arranging them for publication, then WEbook stopped publishing. The last anthology sold well but, as far a I know, no-one received any share of the 'profits' although I did receive my free copy. I presume that there were no profits after all the expenses were deducted, but the main problem was the way they pulled the plug on us. No one expects to make money from poetry but there was massive disillusionment and cynicism when it was announced that they would no longer hold competitions for the best projects and they were switching to 'Agent in a Box'. There is also a problem that many editors won't accept anything that has been 'published' before and some feel that anything online is a prior publication.

Satyr
You are, of course, correct in what you say LizbethRose. If enough people want to make the site 'live' as a vibrant place for the production of new poetry and ideas about poetry then it will, like the Phoenix, catch fire and be a p-lace of beauty. The trouble is that people like Gonzo were responsible for some incredible projects that had interesting themes and great poetry. He was prepared to work at editing and arranging them for publication, then WEbook stopped publishing. The last anthology sold well but, as far a I know, no-one received any share of the 'profits' although I did receive my free copy. I presume that there were no profits after all the expenses were deducted, but the main problem was the way they pulled the plug on us. No one expects to make money from poetry but there was massive disillusionment and cynicism when it was announced that they would no longer hold competitions for the best projects and they were switching to 'Agent in a Box'. There is also a problem that many editors won't accept anything that has been 'published' before and some feel that anything online is a prior publication.

Satyr

Posted: 4/14/2013 1:50 PM PDT
I think that poetry on WeBook will only be as dead as we make it. Honestly, when you come on just to say 'oh, look, the scene is dead' all you're doing is contributing to said stagnancy. If everyone on here who asked 'how is poetry on Webook' started contributing and feedbacking on projects that are active, it would attract more active users and feed its own activity and so on. Especially since the site was just rebooted by new owners after the site's dissapearance (after being mishandled by bad owners for several months prior to that), you can't just expect everyone to already be back. That's just silly.

Posted: 4/12/2013 3:04 AM PDT

Satyr
The corpse is stirring but whether it is reviving or is caused by maggots moving under the skin is difficult to discern.

Posted: 9/24/2011 9:23 AM PDT
It is nearly dead. I came on to write about the demise of webook poetry as a final farewell to the poetry forum. Over the last month the forums has been bombarded by spam. It has been deleted immediately lately but when it first started the spam was up for at least two weeks. There are some young poets that using webook to post their work and some projects are fairly active. Unfortunately the burst of creativity that webook fostered among poets in it's prime will probably never be seen again. There just isn't any incentive to participate as the main focus is on page to fame. I try to be involved in the new activity but I am past webook and I feel that there are no poets around that are in my age range.

Posted: 9/22/2011 8:52 PM PDT
Hopefully it hasn't especially the projects you created.

Posted: 9/22/2011 6:37 PM PDT
Dead or nearly dead? ~g