This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:16 PM PDT

Beruthiel
- and I have no idea why that posted twice - sorry!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15 PM PDT

Beruthiel
Just theorising here; I could be wrong! Since the metals have different melting points, then it seems to me that you could produce an artefact made of metal A, marbled with metal B, by working at a temperature between the melting point of A and that of B. By adding solid shavings of metal B, to liquid A, you woould get a speckled (probably not streaked) effect. So the answer would be 'yes' IF gold melts at a lower temperature than silver. (Again -from memory) I THINK that silver melts at a lower temperature than gold. So, that means the answer is ,no, - although the converse (gold marbling silver) woud lbe possible.

Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15 PM PDT

Beruthiel
Just theorising here; I could be wrong! Since the metals have different melting points, then it seems to me that you could produce an artefact made of metal A, marbled with metal B, by working at a temperature between the melting point of A and that of B. By adding solid shavings of metal B, to liquid A, you woould get a speckled (probably not streaked) effect. So the answer would be 'yes' IF gold melts at a lower temperature than silver. (Again -from memory) I THINK that silver melts at a lower temperature than gold. So, that means the answer is ,no, - although the converse (gold marbling silver) woud lbe possible.

Posted: 9/6/2010 9:00 PM PDT
Okay so obviously I know that creating an alloy from gold and silver creates electrum. But I'm curious if it's possible to make something from the two metals (or any two metals with significantly different melting points) in such a way that it doesn't create an alloy. Essentially, would it be possible to create an object that is primarily gold, streaked with silver, for a marbled effect? If anyone has any insight into this, please let me know!