This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Posted: 10/27/2015 6:20 AM PST
I do it all but I'm mainly a Panster.

PLANNING:  Quite often I try not to do this because it slows down getting started but we are so lucky to have information at the click of a button today and sometimes it is needed.  Reasearching is a great source of ideas and I'm often inspired by images on Pintrest too.  I often get hung up on finding the perfrect character name and spend ages on baby name websites checking their meaning - I can't start a story until this has been found.  I really enjoy this stage but it often feels unrewarding because it looks like I haven't done anything.  It is also hard to turn off the internet and start the story because there are so many online distractions. 

PANSTER:  When I actually write I am a pantser.  I can easily write a novel in a month once I get going.  I do usually scribble out a rough outline to order events and chapters etc.  It is very brief and it is certainly not written in stone.  My stories are very character driven and sometimes it feels as if I am not the one telling the story at all.

EDITOR:  My least favourite part of writing is editing at the end.  It kills me.  This can take months and years to get a novel into a suitable standard. 
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/2/2013 10:24 AM PST
I'm pretty much a pantser. The only problem with that is I get stuck easily, but I'm big on research, which usually gives me great ideas, and I spend a lot of time thinking about my novel when I'm not writing. Between those two things, I'm able to keep the momentum going.

Posted: 10/30/2013 10:42 AM PST
There are two types of people who do NaNoWriMo. There are the people who plan (planners) and there are those who fly by the seat of their pants (pantsers). 

Planning is allowed and encouraged for NaNoWriMo. There are people who write extremely long detailed outlines for their novels and spend all year working on them to have them ready for NaNoWriMo at which point they actually start writing their novel and complete it during the month. (I see the benefits in this but I'm terrible at outlining and planning stories, so terrible it made me lose NaNoWriMo one year because I was so focused on following my outline that I didn't allow great things to happen in my novel.) But for some people it works. 

Then there are the pantsers, they just go with the flow and incorporate whatever they think of and see going on around them. They may make outlines day to day, but nothing is set in stone.

I personally am a pantser. I don't even let myself think about my NaNo until November 1st, at which point I look around the room I'm in and find something to start writing about. I know the genre I want to write and I let that be my guide (it's usually teen fantasy with lots of magic realism and a small hint of romance). 

So, are you a planner or a pantser?