This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/2/2008 12:31 PM PST
Oh! Thats cool. I understand. Thanks!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/2/2008 12:19 PM PST
I actually love seeing the blank page. I can take it and make it anything I want it to be - BUT, I do have to have at least some idea of what I want to go on that page. When I'm not writing, I'm thinking about what I will write next, and it always seems to do the trick.

Posted: 10/13/2008 1:19 PM PDT
I kinda agree. If someone threw me half of a novel and asked me to finish it, I'd be glad to, but if someone threw me a blank book and asked me to make the first half of a novel out of it, I would go insane... especially if there was a time limit =.= Here's something that you can do to relieve that trama: take out a blank piece of printer paper and turn on the radio. Listen to the words to let your mind think of something else, and then turn it down just a little bit. After, remember the people, places, times, and events that you planned of happening and randomly scribble them down. Then connect the things that go together and figure out what the effects would be and how things would lead into another, scribble them down, and connect again. Keep repeating this until the page is filled. Then, open up your project page and stare at your paper while you type everything. You're not looking at the blank page, but instead looking at the whole scribbly outline of your project. Just work from what you wrote, and don't look up until the first scroll of the project page is filled. Then, go back and fix any letters you got wrong, then go to where you were and just keep typing, but you can look at the page this time. I've used it a couple of times, and d*mn does it work.

Posted: 10/11/2008 5:24 PM PDT
In contrast to being stressed by the emptyness of a blank page, I enjoy its pureness, for it's raw potentiel. The key is, as you said, to imagine something to go on it. Perhaps a phrase that will spark a paragraph, or a set of words that will inspire a situation.

Posted: 10/9/2008 1:22 PM PDT
? okay then.

Posted: 10/6/2008 2:07 PM PDT
I have found that it is never a good idea to start a project by seeing a blank page or canvas. First visualise the words, music, or artwork in the mind's eye and then see the work superimposed on the page, manuscript, or canvas. Writer's block is, in my experience, the trauma of seeing a blank page and then being frustrated by trying to fill it. Much better to have the page already filled in the imagination before filling the page for real. Words, like music, are divided by spaces or silence and it is good to acknowledge the spaces or silence as an integral part of the work rather than be frustrated by a lack of words.