This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Water Cooler > General Chat > Is there anybody out there?
Let loose and have fun!
Posted: 12/29/2014 11:07 AM PST

NavarCrow
Still here. Lurking in the shadows.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/3/2014 5:58 PM PDT
Haha, yes, unfortunately I do!

"Hello I'm looking for someone who used to work here..."

Watch out for the internet gestapo :P

Posted: 10/3/2014 3:50 PM PDT

pdsa1
How do you know I'm still there? Maybe I could off moved....?
Now do you think I am easy to fine  : -)

Posted: 9/19/2014 4:24 PM PDT
Of course, one caveat is that there is no guarantee any of the information is true.

Posted: 9/19/2014 4:21 PM PDT
"Because you know who you are dealing with, the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't think trust can be built without any knowledge."

Correct - this is the idea behind cryptography, one shares information only with the person whom one wants to receive it, making it gibberish to those without the correct key. Plaintext is spread amongst anyone with the ability to read, protected only by it's obscurity. When you post to a forum it is theoretically available for all the world to read. You have no knowledge of those who read it or their motives.

Posted: 9/18/2014 6:45 PM PDT
"Why would you trust?"
Because you know who you are dealing with, the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't think trust can be built without any knowledge.
Sometimes you can trust the wrong people, but when you trust the right people there's a lot background that made that trust possible.

Posted: 9/18/2014 3:37 PM PDT
Funny you mention that, having disclosed your employment and at one point the village where your workplace is, I think I could find you quite easily.

Posted: 9/18/2014 9:02 AM PDT

pdsa1
Hi guys I would trust my family and my support workers but I wouldn't be happy online so this is why I am still pdsa1 though 
saying that there is a big clue to a part of my life.

Posted: 9/17/2014 1:42 PM PDT
Why would you trust? 

Posted: 9/16/2014 6:59 PM PDT
It can work both ways.
Who can trust you if you don't reveal anything about yourself?

Posted: 9/16/2014 2:53 PM PDT
I've come to be of the opinion it's unwise to release information about yourself in general.

Posted: 9/15/2014 9:41 PM PDT
Today, I just realized there was a heart icon when someone requests to become your frined. Love it!

Posted: 9/15/2014 9:40 PM PDT
@Dorchie
Your username is fabulous and besides it can be transformed into cute names. :)
What is wrong with revealing your (plural) nationality?
I hope I am one of those few people you mention because I enjoy your conversations.

@ Navy
I'm sorry to hear that.
Is it better to keep quiet when we are in such terrible days or does it work better when we share those moments with friends?

Posted: 9/14/2014 11:31 PM PDT

NavarCrow
Got some shit goin' down in my day to day life. Sorry I've been so quiet.

Posted: 9/13/2014 7:34 PM PDT
I actually regret choosing this username or maintaining it given how much information I leaked re:myself as a younger person. Even the word itself reveals my nationality. Hrm.
That being said for whatever reason I do enjoy talking with what few people are left here with whom I had a relationship with in the past.

Posted: 8/31/2014 12:09 PM PDT

NavarCrow
Navar is the Black Knights name in the movie Ladyhawke. The Crow has sentimental meaning to me. So Navar Crow.

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:58 AM PDT

pdsa1
I have no idea why it keeps double posting damn this website!!!

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:57 AM PDT

pdsa1
Cool I work in the pdsa charity shop so that is why I called myself this. I've been there for seven years in a quaint little market town called 
Thornbury, If you are wonder ' yes it is the same place where that vicar was killed'.  It was an ' Agatha Christie' moment.
Even a new houses state on the main road was named 'St Mary's mead'.

Posted: 8/25/2014 8:57 AM PDT

pdsa1
Cool I work in the pdsa charity shop so that is why I called myself this. I've been there for seven years in a quaint little market town called 
Thornbury, If you are wonder ' yes it is the same place where that vicar was killed'.  It was an ' Agatha Christie' moment.
Even a new houses state on the main road was named 'St Mary's mead'.

Posted: 8/24/2014 8:53 PM PDT
Oh! I forgot...

Mstrongair... I came up with it in a time of a very weak status of being, so it was just a reminder of a goal.

Posted: 8/24/2014 8:51 PM PDT
@PDSA
Thanks.

@Dorchie,
"It doesn't help that reading back my old writing only makes me annoyed at how *bad* it is."
The suggestion was more to write today (or tomorrow) what you will read in 20, 30 years from now.

@Navy,
Why are you so quiet lately?

Posted: 8/22/2014 2:44 PM PDT
Lol. I made this account about 4 years ago I think. I was much more angst ridden at the time I think.

Posted: 8/22/2014 11:55 AM PDT

pdsa1
Hey mstrongair that's a really fab advice, passion is needed in writing and Dorchie, it will return and you will be shocked at how fast it it will be just wait. 
it will come. 
Hi Navar, 

By the way intriguing user names. Sorry is I misspelled any of them.  

Posted: 8/21/2014 7:45 AM PDT
Hi, Navar.
Dorchie, Ok.
Don't force yourself to write. You aren't a kid anymore, are you? Write when you feel the passion... and then, you'll feel like a kid again. :)

"I don't care for any of these 'worlds'."
Doesn't sound convincing enough.

"As for writing in a writing forum... it passes the time I suppose."
There are many ways of passing the time, why do you choose one?

"I'm not a very emotional person"

I would totally disagree (and can produce proofs if you'd like).

Have you heard the expression "a tendency can show just the opposite tendency" or something among those lines?

Posted: 8/20/2014 4:34 PM PDT
"“The” world is too big… There are also smaller worlds: your family, your friends, yourself at different ages…"

I don't care for any of these 'worlds'.

It was nice of you to write all that but I don't think I'm taking a lot from it. I'm not a very emotional person, I don't see myself confining whatever dull feelings that pass my mind to a page. And truthfully whilst a great number of 'interesting' things have happened to me (by other people's judgement) I don't feel like I'll ever talk of them.

There's no reward to writing for me anymore. In truth for the past 5 years writing has bored me. I've forced myself to write in the same way one forces a child to eat their vegetables. 

It doesn't help that reading back my old writing only makes me annoyed at how *bad* it is.

As for writing in a writing forum... it passes the time I suppose.

Posted: 8/16/2014 8:30 AM PDT

NavarCrow
ummmm.....Hi!

Posted: 8/3/2014 10:06 PM PDT
Okay. Here we go… A summary of what was originally around 4 handwritten pages. Let’s hope it isn’t very boring.

Hahahaha, I never even noticed that in Tarzan.
Hahaha. Yes, and books are full of those little, cute, inaccurate details. Would you say that what made me share that anecdote with you was arrogance? I wanted to show you something totally unaware if you have already noticed it. I didn’t notice it when I read it, until someone wrote about that.

I don't know what to say. I have no idea if a writer must be accurate then. I simply don't have anything to say.
In regards to everything? That you don’t have anything to say in writing? Or just about the accuracy?  

“One thing I do know is that a writer, like anyone who creates, must have a reason to create. There's something they want to show the world, something they feel others must see. I don't feel that at all. I'm a tourist in the world. I watch other people hurry about their business, and wonder where they're all going and what they're all thinking. What is it that they have hidden away.
  “One thing I do know is that a writer, like anyone who creates, must have a reason to create.

I would call it a motive more than a reason. A reason to create implies that you deliberately know what you are going to do or that you are aware of why you want to create something. But writing, as any other art, works too frequently, because of “unreason”, unconsciousness, things that makes a writer compelled to write… An itching inside calling to take out whatever emotions or thoughts wonder around in his/her mind… and the writer might even be unaware of that motive after the writing is done.

There's something they want to show the world, something they feel others must see.
Not necessarily. That might be true in certain cases. “The” world is too big… There are also smaller worlds: your family, your friends, yourself at different ages… And the members of those worlds might be interested in what you have to show them, they can even request it.

There are cases where you:

- might want to get rid of something: A well deserved punch in the face that is transformed into a written battle where you can deal with anger and frustration and later tear the pages, burn them or delete the file. And you keep writing, fighting that battle until your mood changes into a better one and then, you can feel its cathartic effect.  
- might want to write down as a way of exorcising inner demons because too often things in the outside are lighter than inside: Writing when you feel down, when you feel you have nothing to contribute to others, nothing to offer, that it would not make any difference if you existed or not. Writing through a depression and getting out from it through writing.  
- write to an older self, so, when your older self reads what your younger one wrote, there’s a new light of who you are and who you have been, you learn, you acquire experience.  
- want to communicate with someone but for one reason or another, you can’t.
  - want to communicate with someone for the joy of it and exchange thoughts and experiences.  
- want to tell a story to make people laugh, or think of different things, or provide the opportunity to escape from the tough challenges real life provides.
  - want to remember.  
- want to give your children what you have learned and lived, to show them that they are not alone and that they are not the ones experienced something or going through a hard or happy time.  
- might want to create another world in case you don’t like the one you’re living in.  
- might want to replicate in others what you have felt whenever you have had the chance of reading someone who changed your life in one way or another.
  Etc.

And all of those can be the raw material that feeds your writing, your stories. Sometimes the today-writer is not the better judge of the relevance of a story. Sometimes you have to leave it there for the future and then take a look at it with fresh eyes.    
I think the biggest things a writer needs is honesty. Intellectual honesty, emotional honesty and lots and lots of passion. But how passion escapes away from us when we want to write, that might be discussed in another forum. A writer needs introspection, extrospection, and social exchange; the acute development of his senses, the insurmountable desire to learn and discover, and strong willingness to take risks and make mistakes.  

“I don't feel that at all.”
I suspect the writer is still there. You didn’t say you hated writing, or that you disliked it, or that you weren’t interested anymore. It sounded more like “If I had something to say, I would write. I was accurate, I would write. If I was interested in showing something to the world, I would write. I would write if…” You are still in a writing site, writing in a forum, sharing your thoughts (which I appreciate a lot) and it turns out to be that the topic in the General Chat is about writing. Doesn’t it say something?  

“I'm a tourist in the world.

A tourist or a traveler?  

“I watch other people hurry about their business, and wonder where they’re all going and what they’re all thinking. What is it that they have hidden away.”

And isn’t that a sufficient motive to write? What are other people’s business and why the hurry? Where are they going? What are they thinking? What are they hiding? You wonder about that which means you care about that. You can ask them, you can observe them, you can read them, and if you don’t get those answers directly, you can speculate about that. How many secrets are unveiled in the books we read?

I've journeyed deep into the heart of myself many times and at the bottom I've found some curiously empty space
Empty spaces might be good… There’s room to fill them with something. Empty spaces allow you to grow and as long as they don’t take over your whole being, they are important, even necessary.  

I don't have dreams and aspirations, except a newfound desire for some small peace.
Like you, I don’t have any dreams right now and I used to be such a dreamer. My biggest dream was to be happy. Now I’ve taken a more practical approach: Work every day on not feeling sad.

On a final note… I keep the sticky notes in my laptop, adding them and deleting them over and over again. But there’s one that’s never been erased, and it says: WRITE BADLY!

Posted: 7/29/2014 9:40 PM PDT
Dorchie,

I just read what you wrote. It requires to be read more than thrice. Unluckily, I don't have much time now but promise to come back as soon as possible to answer your reply. It has given me much to think.

KIT (Keep in touch).

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:06 PM PDT
Hahahaha, I never even noticed that in Tarzan.

I don't know what to say. I have no idea if a writer must be accurate then. I simply don't have anything to say.

One thing I do know is that a writer, like anyone who creates, must have a reason to create. There's something they want to show the world, something they feel others must see. I don't feel that at all. I'm a tourist in the world. I watch other people hurry about their business, and wonder where they're all going and what they're all thinking. What is it that they have hidden away.

I've journeyed deep into the heart of myself many times and at the bottom I've found some curiously empty space. I don't have dreams and aspirations, except a newfound desire for some small peace.

Posted: 7/26/2014 4:16 PM PDT
"Lol. Maybe once." --> haha. Maybe it is hiding along with your writer? :)

"Yes. Writing should be accurate. A writer is like a reporter, even if he's only reporting on his imagination. Journalistic integrity should apply to the innerworld as much as the outer. Words are tools to convey information, yet there are things which go beyond what language can convey. This results in the writer becoming... unemployed."

--> I agree to some extent. It should, but when it is not for whatever reason, there are many other factors that come to the mix in an interesting story.

Writing... is it ONLY about accuracy?
Then, if you know you're not being accurate why not fix it?
You also don't seem to be the kind of person who just gives up... I thought you had a sort of scientific, curious, getting to the details and facts sort of mind.
Would you say 2.81 or 2.82 is inaccurate for the Euler number?
On the other hand, there is a lack of accuracy that might add unintended comedic effect to a story (when the writer has not planned it or is unaware of such lack or accuracy) but not less appreciated by readers.
Think of Tarzan... a tiger having such an important role in Africa...

Posted: 7/26/2014 4:16 PM PDT
"Lol. Maybe once." --> haha. Maybe it is hiding along with your writer? :)

"Yes. Writing should be accurate. A writer is like a reporter, even if he's only reporting on his imagination. Journalistic integrity should apply to the innerworld as much as the outer. Words are tools to convey information, yet there are things which go beyond what language can convey. This results in the writer becoming... unemployed."

--> I agree to some extent. It should, but when it is not for whatever reason, there are many other factors that come to the mix in an interesting story.

Writing... is it ONLY about accuracy?
Then, if you know you're not being accurate why not fix it?
You also don't seem to be the kind of person who just gives up... I thought you had a sort of scientific, curious, getting to the details and facts sort of mind.
Would you say 2.81 or 2.82 is inaccurate for the Euler number?
On the other hand, there is a lack of accuracy that might add unintended comedic effect to a story (when the writer has not planned it or is unaware of such lack or accuracy) but not less appreciated by readers.
Think of Tarzan... a tiger having such an important role in Africa...

Posted: 7/25/2014 6:41 PM PDT
"I think you have that..."

Lol. Maybe once.

Yes. Writing should be accurate. A writer is like a reporter, even if he's only reporting on his imagination. Journalistic integrity should apply to the innerworld as much as the outer. Words are tools to convey information, yet there are things which go beyond what language can convey. This results in the writer becoming... unemployed.

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:00 PM PDT
I was referring to the writing.

"It takes a certain arrogance" --> I think you have that...
"to presume you have something to say that anyone wants to hear about." --> everyone has anything to say. Some choose to do it in writing.

"I still have the capability to write" --> you should maintain it by writing... You don't write the same way when you have stopped writing for a long time (writing or any other activity)

"Also I've had numerous experiences now which have brought to my attention how poor a medium the written word is. So many things I can't explain with any accuracy." --> Is writing only about accuracy? 

Posted: 7/25/2014 9:44 AM PDT
Why don't I study?  

Well, to ensure maximum profit the education system only deigns to do it's job for 2/3rds of the year. So we get a 'summer break' which lasts from May to October. 

Why don't I write?
It takes a certain arrogance to presume you have something to say that anyone wants to hear about.

I still have the capability to write but, I don't have anything to talk about. Also I've had numerous experiences now which have brought to my attention how poor a medium the written word is. So many things I can't explain with any accuracy. 

Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01 PM PDT
... so the writer went hiding. It might be a temporary thing.
Why don't you now?

Posted: 7/23/2014 3:59 PM PDT
I don't like to write anymore.

I study biomedical science. It passes the daytime.

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:14 PM PDT
Dorchie,
It sounds quite an adventure. You should write about that!
What are you doing before the school of medicine, do you have through pre-med or something? (I don't know how the Irish university system works).

Posted: 7/17/2014 8:37 AM PDT
It was quite fun. I travelled the length of Cambodia and Vietnam. Visited ancient temples, shot guns, drank a lot of terrible beer, smoked some opium with locals, abseiled down waterfalls, jumped off cliffs, learned to ride a motorbike on the crazy roads, crawled through viet cong tunnels... stuff yano. Heh. 

I'm gonna enrol in the school of medicine in roughly... 2 years by my estimate. Perhaps later. I have things to do.

Posted: 7/14/2014 9:17 PM PDT
Dorchie!
Please elaborate on your trip. All the details.
Nice to see you again.
What happened to the School of Medicine?

Posted: 7/14/2014 9:02 AM PDT
Not... quite.

Been in Indochina for a time. 

Posted: 7/10/2014 11:40 AM PDT

NavarCrow
At Uni. I think.

Posted: 7/9/2014 9:52 PM PDT
:o)
Very happy to see you here again.
Where's Dorchie?

Posted: 7/8/2014 11:40 AM PDT

NavarCrow
Make it yours again. Rock the world.

Posted: 6/29/2014 4:48 PM PDT
Some working, some reading, some writing. Hanging out with friends and family. Trying to conquer a territory that once was mine.

Posted: 6/22/2014 11:28 PM PDT

NavarCrow
Canoes. Sorry.

Posted: 6/22/2014 11:28 PM PDT

NavarCrow
Doing it again for the 4th of July.

What have you been up to?

Posted: 6/17/2014 3:48 PM PDT
It sounds wonderful! Canoe? Raft? Tubbing?

Posted: 6/8/2014 9:14 PM PDT

NavarCrow
I've just had a really great weekend, (<Oxford comma) on a float trip with like 15 of the coolest people I've ever met.

Posted: 6/1/2014 10:27 PM PDT
Hi Navar,
How have you been?

Posted: 5/31/2014 9:50 AM PDT

NavarCrow
Just the basic facts.
Can you show me where it hurts?

Posted: 5/28/2014 11:29 AM PDT

NavarCrow