This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:50 AM PST
"Eddie" might seem a bit mundane, in a family which otherwise has such unusual names. However, you could have him explain to anyone who calls him Edward the he ISN'T an Edward; that Eddie is his full given name, and not short for anything; or you could have him be an Edwin, an Edgar, an Edelbert, or something even more exotic. As for "Dottie", that's short for Dorothy. You could use the full name instead of the abbreviation. The Dorothy in the wizard of Oz is often described as "naive", and she does spend a lot of her time in a fantasy world as opposed to the real one, so "spacey" might also be an appropriate description.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/16/2010 2:16 PM PST
those sound great..i think you're right about the proud but humble thing. I guess i was leaning more towards humble. i was thinking rose for the baby too! I'm not sure about Dottie and Eddie tho. Hmm

Posted: 3/16/2010 8:22 AM PST
"Braelyn's parents- i need some names that reflect/represent wealth, being proud, etc. but are also humble" Proud and humble could be a bit of a tall order. You may have to settle for one or the other. Tarquin and Vanessa? "boys name to reflect being relaxed and just going with the flow". Eddie? "sisters name to represent being sort of wild and not great at listening to anybody someone who ignores rules". Electra? "One to represent coming from a small-town, having common sense, etc. ". Amy? "the other to reflect being sort of naive and sort of spacey". Dottie? "something delicate and sweet". Rose?

Posted: 3/15/2010 5:04 PM PST
I am writing a story about an 18 year old girl named Braelyn who is about to go to MIT in the Fall, but ends up getting pregnant D: details in the story. Anyways I need help naming the following characters: Braelyn's parents- i need some names that reflect/represent wealth, being proud, etc. but are also humble Braelyn's siblings (One male, one female) I want the boys name to reflect being relaxed and just going with the flow and the sisters name to represent being sort of wild and not great at listening to anybody someone who ignores rules Braelyn's friends (Just two names-both female) One to represent coming from a small-town, having common sense, etc. and the other to reflect being sort of naive and sort of spacey And finally, and probably one of the most important names, Braelyn's baby girl. I want the name to reflect something delicate and sweet. Thanks so much!!!