This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/29/2009 5:16 PM PDT
I agree. Maybe since you did two pages already, do two or so on the mother, and then leave the final page for their meeting? Like, bring the two stories together.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/26/2009 8:27 AM PDT
It doesn't sound like you're stuck - you've already got some cool ideas! What I find works best is when you don't try to end it in a particular place, but instead just write. Switching to the birth mother's perspective might be fun to play around with, especially if she's just as nervous about the meeting as her daughter. You could also use that as a way to explain why the daughter didn't grow up with the birth mother - through the birth mother's memories or something - and why they're meeting up now. Was it always planned, or did the daughter manage to track down the birth mother recently? If you really want to have an ending in mind, though, I really like the idea of them embracing without a word. It leaves just the right amount up to the readers' imaginations, and ironically would wrap it up beautifully - providing the rest of the story matches. Of course, that's just my opinion. Good luck with this, it already sounds like a good story!

Posted: 9/25/2009 3:59 PM PDT
So, I'm writing a short story for a class and its about a girl turning 18 who is going to meet her birthmother for the first time. I've got two pages and it has to be at least 5. I started out at her 18th birthday and have moved on to a conversation she has with her best friend (while packing for a trip to meet this lady) about her fear of meeting with her birthmom. Now I don't know where to go with it. Should i switch to the birth mother's perspective? Should I write about their first day together? Or should I end the story with them embracing for the first time in 18 years? I'm stuck! Please help!