This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A place for all your gory horror writing discussions.
Posted: 5/14/2011 9:59 PM PDT
[url=http://www.www.fastninjaproxy.tk]NinjaCloak[/url] | [url=http://www.www.airproxy.tk]Air Proxy[/url]
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/14/2011 9:57 PM PDT

Posted: 2/20/2011 8:06 AM PST
its a dementer

Posted: 9/20/2009 2:23 PM PDT
dandan = try the mist . that was a phat humanity horror , waists the kid in the car . one of the best . or lord of the fly's still makes me tingle . hannibal lecter was about a monster not a man . i invent fictional monster's all the time . how about the listner ......... message me and ill explain it to you . ill tell you the sacriest monster of all . "the thing" there again't notin' that top's that . i don't care . oh lordy! ................ wooo! ..........

Posted: 9/6/2009 10:33 AM PDT
This question really depends on whether you have enough creativity to create your own monster, or recycle something from ancient mythology (Humbaba from the epic of Gilgamesh would be my first pick). Personally, I think all humanity related horror begins and ends with Hannibal Lecter.

Posted: 9/3/2009 10:04 AM PDT
Vampire suck but it a great way!!! I actually love writing, reading, watching anything with vampires included :) Hope you take the chance to check out my new book Blood Rose (Nights) the nights added because someone already had the title Blood Rose. Michelle

Posted: 8/2/2009 6:31 AM PDT
Horror is what you make of it. Most of today's writers have a concrete focus, a monster of some sort. It makes expanding easy. Still, horror isn't all about monsters. Horror is how far the dreamer can take his/her fears and to what extent is he/she willing to take. And the answer may not always be a "pretty" one. The end result would if not, ultimately, lead to self sacrifice. That is what people fear. If the dreamer is in a nightmare and he/she wishes to wake from it but worries "what if it isn't a nightmare?" The dreamer him/herself is prolonging his/her fear.

Posted: 6/8/2009 8:44 PM PDT
One could argue that all contemporary monsters are based on isotopes of pre-existing monsters. The Undead: zombies, vampires, ghouls The Hybrid: were-creatures, wendigo The SuperNatural: swamp beasts, shamblings The Spiritual (other-world): ghosts, spirits, aliens, possessed humans I'm sure there a few exceptions and maybe I'm missing a category. But I think the above hits the bulk.

Posted: 6/7/2009 6:20 PM PDT
I'm trying to put together a collection of monster stories. I love zombies but I really don't want 'zombies'. I want new frightful monsters that eat the living. I've got a good start but creating new monsters is a bit tough. I've got to say, though, it is a lot of fun.

Posted: 6/7/2009 2:50 PM PDT

BenB
What about a medusa head, but instead of a snake ladies, it's huge baby head made of baby heads, and they have piercing blood curdling screams that can paralyze a man? After that, they just suck your blood out and roll their baby heads to their next victim.

Posted: 6/6/2009 12:38 AM PDT

Copperdragon
What about Bush, dude? LMAO, that was funny.....

Posted: 6/5/2009 6:01 PM PDT
Maybe the most fearful monster to date is Dick Cheney.

Posted: 4/7/2009 11:04 PM PDT

Copperdragon
Yeah, wedigos are rude..............

Posted: 3/29/2009 12:53 PM PDT
How about Fear itself? a demon that takes advantages of these fears? I do agree that vampires, zombies and werewolves have been done soo many times... but its all about the storyline if the storyline is good then whether its a zombie or vampire it will be good. Maybe invent your own demon?

Posted: 3/13/2009 7:11 AM PST
You might try a Wendigo....Quite sinister and unsettling if you ask me. You said you weren't looking for a sci fi creature though ....so you might want to think of something along the lines of viral, or even spectral. Or maybe bring those eyes that lurk in darkness when people are alone alive in your own way. ...

Posted: 3/9/2009 4:13 PM PST
I love vampires, but I hate their cliche. Hate's too strong...maybe dislike. Mainly I can't stand the present one and although I'll read them (or watch them), I can't help but wish they were...different. But their theme just goes in the same circle these days. Why I like/love vampires I can't really describe... maybe it's the fantasy involved...

Posted: 3/6/2009 8:52 AM PST
And possibly based on the real life Johann Conrad Dippel.

Posted: 3/5/2009 8:05 PM PST
That's pretty dubious indeed. Frankenstein's monster was one of the first popularized monsters. But far too many writers previous to Shelly created horror monsters. Greek mythology certainly racks up far more horrific monsters than Shelly. Especially considering the real monster in the novel was doctor Frankenstein.

Posted: 2/28/2009 11:00 AM PST
The only real original horror monster was Frankenstein's monster. Try to invent something of your own.

Posted: 2/22/2009 6:23 AM PST
Ever heard of the film teeth? Now THATS originality everyone can enjoy!

Posted: 2/21/2009 8:26 PM PST
Dimension is onto something. Go with a female, not unlike the succubus, only more innocent. Not that over-played catholic school-girl role.... and not that girl next door thing. Just honest innocence. Luring men to their doom with a coy look and a wry smile. Then at the final moment her mouth unhinges to reveal a huge mouth and jagged, pin-shaped teeth.

Posted: 2/21/2009 6:32 PM PST
Maybe do a mara/ mare (a nightmare creature of Scandinavian lore? Pretty creepy little thing..."Mara was a dark spirit that takes a form of a beautiful woman and then visits men in their dreams, torturing them with desire, and dragging life out of them.") Also a succubus or incubis may be freaky...it depends what you favor in the horror though, because both kind of are beings not for children:)

Posted: 2/10/2009 6:10 PM PST

Copperdragon
You suck!

Posted: 2/9/2009 5:04 PM PST
Of course not.

Posted: 2/9/2009 3:57 AM PST
*muffled laugh* Surely you don't mean that, Code? :D

Posted: 2/8/2009 6:36 PM PST
~~~~~SarahD wrote the following post at 2/8/2009 08:11 AM PT Dementors of Azkaban :) They're scary to look at but even scarier is what they do - suck out all your happy memories and dreams.~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I thought they were called wives.

Posted: 2/8/2009 8:11 AM PST
Dementors of Azkaban :) They're scary to look at but even scarier is what they do - suck out all your happy memories and dreams.

Posted: 2/6/2009 3:48 PM PST
I agree with you 100% on the vampire thing. Now, I can't remember the name of the creature, but I'm thinking of a ghost type thing. It looks almost like the reaper. if you've ever seen the Harry Potter movies, they surrounded Hogwarts. Haha, sorry, I don't know if I'm any help. I just can't remember the name of it.

Posted: 2/2/2009 12:48 PM PST
Horror doesn't require a monster. Humanity is far more monstrous.

Posted: 2/1/2009 7:44 AM PST
I'd love to write a horror story but just cannot come up with an original monster. It seems that everyone else on this site has the same problem. Time after time the same old themes crop up. I really think that werewolves and zombies have had their day and the vampire thing has been done to death (or should that be undeath?) The typical stories on this site seem to follow the same boring storyline: It usually starts with a bunch of boring teenagers. Then a vampire falls in love with a mortal. *yawn* I hope that I'm not boring you too much! Come on guys! You know that you can do better than that! It seems that I have as little imagination as everyone else and I need help in finding a monster. I'm not looking for a sci-fi type of creature but something evil and sinister which reaches our deepest primeval fears, a creature of the night, the stuff of nightmares which will keep us hiding under the bed covers. Any suggestions?