This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Your publishing industry superstore; discussion of current trends, helpful resources and websites, query letter tips, writing contest information, and all else related to this dynamic industry.
Posted: 9/19/2010 7:54 PM PDT
I highly recommend CreateSpace. If you can do all your own editing and book design (or get help from friends) then it's actually free to publish there -- you only have to purchase a proof copy, which I think you have to do with Lulu too. CreateSpace do offer editing and design services if you need them, but most people DIY. The books cost less to print too, which means you make higher royalties.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/21/2010 10:39 PM PDT
They're easy to use. No complaints as long as you have highspeed internet. Even if you don't use Lulu, I suggest you read all their formatting tips and suggestions anyway. Best info on the web, I think. I'd also look at Amazon's Create Space. They cost more, but it's a bigger 'pool' to swim in. If you sell thousands (few do) you'll do better with CreateSpace than Lulu. I've had the most sucess selling directly on the Kindle and Smashwords, also free. I'm a little paranoid, so, copyrighting it is never a bad idea. It cost around $35 and you can usually do it online. Nothing wrong with self-publishing. More and more people are doing it now... Everybody will be doing it eventually. I can't imagine the generation that grew up text messaging, You Tubing, Blogging and Face Booking 'waiting' the traditional months and years as they grind slowly through the 'traditional' publishing system that's whithering on the vine as we speak. Good luck!

Posted: 5/30/2010 1:16 AM PDT
I've used Lulu and I do recommend them.

Posted: 5/26/2010 5:52 PM PDT
Anyone use Lulu for self-publication? Would you recommend it if someone were to choose the self-publication route?