This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A place for Round 3 Raters (and writers!) to discuss their experiences
Posted: 2/2/2014 5:26 AM PST
I don't think the word cockpit, applied to the control cabin of planes, has the same etymology as cockpit meaning an arena for fighting cocks. The dictionary of etymology is unclear on this

cockpit (n.)
    1580s, "a pit for fighting cocks," from cock (n.1) + pit (n.1). Used in nautical sense (1706) for midshipmen's compartment below decks; transferred to airplanes (1914) and to cars (1930s). (http://www.etymonline.com/)

However I came across other references to the derivation in nautical terms coming from the word coxswain.

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/24/2014 8:52 PM PST
Since the beginning of aviation, the control area of an airplane has always been referred to as the cockpit because most pilots were men.
Several years ago, I received an e-mail that showed, for the first time, an all female crew for an Air Force bomber. Because of this, it was decided that the control area would no longer be called the cockpit but would be referred to differently when there were female pilots. What was the new term? I have lost the e-mail. It pertains to Webook because I want to use the term in an upcoming story about aviation.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply