This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > AgentInbox > Welcome to the AgentInbox Forum
For questions and concerns about AgentInbox, suggestions for improvement, and success stories.
Posted: 5/7/2010 11:33 AM PDT
Good suggestion! We actually do have a system in place that periodically alerts agents to the number of unread submission they have in their inbox.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 4/28/2010 6:27 AM PDT
I've seen agents take longer than 3 months. However, when I've done this directly, I've had the option of checking in with them again, just in case my submission got lost, buried, or just sent on a bad day. I'm very aware that agents get tons of submissions. But if they signing on to WEbook, I think they should be responsive (and responsible) to WEbook and not leave submissions unopened. So my one suggestion is that WEbook figure out a "use it or lose it " type policy with agents. Would it be difficult to manage a WEbook follow-up ... some kind of "we'd just like to remind you that there's a submission from Mr Writer in your inbox.." after 90 days? I could, of course, write to the agent directly, but would find it awkward to have to put something into words that says "you never opened my WEbox submission..." Hope that makes sense.

Posted: 4/3/2010 4:24 PM PDT
Hi Brian, Thanks! That helped tremendously! Gianna

Posted: 4/2/2010 5:39 AM PDT
Hi Gianna, For literary agent guidelines, they are generally referring to a MS Word document page, since they know most writers will be using that program and it is an easy reference point. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with using 250 words as a benchmark, if you prefer. Agents really just want to get an idea of how the story flows in the sample, and either page length will allow them to do this. Hope this helps! Brian

Posted: 3/31/2010 6:45 PM PDT
Hey, I haven't had a response yet. I have to say, I AM impatient in a world that screams, "Patience!"

Posted: 3/31/2010 12:20 PM PDT
Okay, I have a completely novice question: When you're asked for, say, the first ten pages of your book, do they mean the number of pages @ 250 words per page; or, do they mean ten full pages of my manuscript from my microsoft word document? Thanks!

Posted: 3/29/2010 8:19 PM PDT

Tkain
As far as I can tell the 'checking' that WeBook does on your query letter is just an automated program, not a live person. So a great deal can be missed. When it come to speed it has to do with the agents, not WeBook. I submitted to several agents and recieved word back from 2 in less then a day while others still haven't responded.

Posted: 3/29/2010 1:05 PM PDT
On 3/17/2010 I submitted "Wilding" to an agent by way of AgentInBox and a few days later, to another. Webook caught an error on my first sub. I neglected to add a signature. I fixed that and the submission went through. The second went through without a hitch, but it took several days. I later discovered that the first sentence in both query letters were rife with grammatical errors. This is ultimately my own fault, but leads me to ask; what exactly does Webook offer when they say they will check submissions over for problems. My other question is; when can I expect a response? The link says that neither sub has been opened yet. It has been since 3/17. When doing this on my own, I have received rejections much sooner.

Posted: 3/29/2010 8:33 AM PDT
Hi, I'm replying to my own post to let others know: Wow! I already received a response for my agentinbox submission. Yay! I can finish revising! Also, I have to say, in my original post, I misspelled the word sentences and wrote sentenced instead. Grrr! I hate my typos! Gianna

Posted: 3/29/2010 6:28 AM PDT
Hi, I just used Agentinbox for the first time and had a problem. My submission form was incomplete, and I was still revising it, when it was submitted. My arrow wasn't anywhere near the submission key; so, I'm not sure how that occurred. I did send an email to info@WEbook.com. Is there any way to get back onto my form to complete it? Also, for the life of me, I couldn't get my manuscript to format correctly, when I pasted it from MW. I used the format key on the form, and it pasted correctly in the separate window. However, when I pushed the insert key for it to be moved to my form, it showed up sloppy, with some sentenced double spaced, while others were single spaced. Help! Gianna

Posted: 2/2/2010 12:35 PM PST
In a submission to Agent InBox a couple of days ago, it today came back unsubmitted: "WEbook suggests revision: Your query letter will benefit from a more detailed synopsis that introduces main plot points and characters. Remember, you want to show why your project stands out from the pack!" Some agents ask for a synopsis, some don't. For those that ask for one, I included one. I have a version that's five pages, but it wouldn't fit-- there's a character limit. So... before I consider writing a 2-page synopsis instead of a 1 or 5 page one... could someone tell me if that's really what the problem is? Some agents don't want a list of characters etc etc... I hope that someone replies to me soon! --PC

Posted: 12/11/2009 10:28 AM PST
that is strange, I will see if there is some explanation for this. Gary

Posted: 12/10/2009 11:00 AM PST
I've been having difficulty with the paste function with a Word doc. It moves several lines to the bottom and will change the font into italics after an italicized sentence. I've had to be very careful before submitting because of this.

Posted: 12/7/2009 4:06 PM PST
i also have firefox but i have had no problems with submissions i am only new on here by about a week but i have already made my first submission being my first book Moon Shadows. you go through it i made a mistake the first time i tried so dont worry about getting it wrong. the submission letter is the actual email telling the agents what you are wanting them to do and telling them a little bit about yourself. once you've filled out everything it should then come up with a section for your submission section for a sample of your manuscript. all i did was copy and paste the first chapter from manuscript. Hope that helps if you need to ask anymore about it working on firefox you can just ask me via message Misty

Posted: 11/17/2009 9:31 PM PST
If it works well enough for WEbook, it works well enough for me. Thanks a hundred times! kp

Posted: 11/17/2009 5:31 PM PST

kimberly
Hmm... could you try using the "paste as text" button? It will remove formatting, which is ok if your text doesn't have a lot of formatting. The paste from word button isn't perfect unfortunately, so I hope this will work. Kimberly

Posted: 11/17/2009 7:45 AM PST
Okay, I started using MSN Explorer, and it solved my initial problem, but however, it has unfortunately revealed a new one. Everything is filled out, query letter, synopsis & first 50 pages of sample, and I cannot continue because the project cannot have a character over 210,000... I don't understand. Is it referring to just my sample page where I've had to paste 53 pages from Word, (using your paste template) or the entire form i've filled out? By Word's character count on my computer, both my synopsis & 50 page sample should only have a character count of 156,254 (and that's including spaces). Is it because i'm using your paste template? Because when I do, it still looks funky and has double-spacing after every paragraph. And oddly enough, it looks the same when I post straight from Word itself. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here. Where is a counter for amount of characters in the AgentInbox window, so I can know where to slim down certain entries on one of the pages? Or is it just referring to the whole thing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! kp

Posted: 11/16/2009 11:15 PM PST
I'm currently only using Firefox. Would I have better luck with IE?

Posted: 11/16/2009 4:40 PM PST

kimberly
Sorry to hear you're having troubles. What browser are you using when you get this problem? Have you tried it in more than one browser and you see the same problem both times? Kimberly

Posted: 11/16/2009 2:20 PM PST
Hi, johnnywebook I recently finalized my novel and am excited about your Agentinbox feature, yet I'm having a little bit of trouble. This is more of a technological question than anything else, but anything I've copied over from Word (using the 'paste from Word' button, of course) is being erased as soon as I leave the page i.e. - the agent query letter, and the synopsis and manuscript sample. It seems to me that the script that runs the AgentInBox program keeps crapping out on me, which makes it pretty frustrating for me when I'm this close to actually submitting to an agent with a little extra help. Is there anything I can do to make this work, or is your site not able to do so? Thanks, KP

Posted: 11/4/2009 12:49 PM PST
I sent in one of my stories, and one agent rejected it, but another one just opened it. How do I know if they are considering my book? And do I need to check my E-Mail or anything if they are considering it? I don't get on my E-Mail much, so yeah. ~Casey.

Posted: 10/24/2009 11:25 AM PDT

kimberly
When pasting your work from Word, you should use the "paste from Word" button in the text editor. There is more info on that here: http://www.webook.com/Company/faq#paste-from-word Kimberly

Posted: 10/23/2009 5:08 AM PDT
I played around with the agent in a box a little bit last night. I was surprised that right at the end there was no way to attach my manuscript sample as a doc or a pdf, but instead just paste it into the text box. Is that right? Did I miss something? Pasting it into the text box alters all the typesetting I've done (chapter headings, embedded tabbing, font changes).

Posted: 10/16/2009 12:35 PM PDT
For novels, you need to have a completed manuscript BEFORE pitching agents. This is very important. In order for them to know if they can sell a novel, they need to read it, start-to-finish, before making a decision. If the project is non-fiction, the book doesn't need to be complete. You will, however, need a detailed proposal. Check out our FAQ for more info on this subject: http://www.webook.com/landing/AgentInbox-FAQ

Posted: 10/15/2009 10:02 AM PDT
Does the story have to be completely finished for submission or at least half way?

Posted: 10/12/2009 3:29 PM PDT
message sent!

Posted: 10/12/2009 2:10 PM PDT
yeah, i guess you can concider me a newbie but i have a few questions about agentinabox, im a seventeen year old and my mother had tried to get her stories published, she has warned me to NEVER send a completed manuscript to an editor for fear and fact (to her) that all they can do is change a few words, change the wrighters name and sell it, that way they cheet you out of any money you could possibly make. I was wondering if it was the same here? I also was wondering if it would be wise to put an entire book on your website to have it read and not fear that it will be stolen from the site but i guess if someone is reading it and they lik it then they could write it down... IM CONFUSED AND I NEED HELP WITH THIS!!!! i dont know when the next time ill be able to get to this part of the webook section again so if you could leave me a message on here because i have a limited amount of time every day to get on except for the weekends. Id reaaly apreciate the help if it can be spared. Thanks a bunch! Spirit_Takashi

Posted: 10/8/2009 4:18 PM PDT
Cool, thanks!

Posted: 10/8/2009 8:57 AM PDT
The only age restriction is the same one that WEbook (and most social networking sites) use. And that's 13 years old, with a parent's permission. As for whether a 14-year-old needs an agent, well, I suppose that depends if you have a finished manuscript that you think is publishable. Although it's rare for young authors to get published, it has certainly happened.

Posted: 10/8/2009 3:17 AM PDT
Thank you johnnyWEbook

Posted: 10/7/2009 1:27 PM PDT
JDarrow, Glad that you found AgentInbox easy to use. Now, to your questions: 1. Agents can take anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 months to respond to a query. It really depends on the agent, their process and if they're really looking seriously for new clients. 2. If an agent isn't interested in something you sent, it DOESN'T mean that they won't be interested in something else from you. Agents are looking for projects they like and think they can sell. If it's from an author they once rejected, so be it. Hope that helps. J

Posted: 10/3/2009 11:53 AM PDT
Age restrictions? Just wondering. Not really planning on using it...but I'm interested in knowing. Not many fourteen-year-olds NEED an agent, but whatever. :D

Posted: 10/1/2009 2:59 PM PDT
Hi johnnyWeBook, I left some questions back on the bulletin board...but I can also leave them here. I have used the Agentinbox...and I found that it was easy. I have a couple of questions though.............after you submit your work to an agent ...how long before you can consider that they're not interested? Is it weeks or months? And also if an agent isn't interested in something that you've sent them...then should you assume that they wouldn't be interested in anything else you might have? Thanks, JDarrow

Posted: 10/1/2009 9:30 AM PDT
Hi Everyone, As our new AgentInbox Beta gets up to speed, we want to provide a forum for users with questions, concerns or general comments about AgentInbox. So, if you've already used the service feel free to leave your impressions here. Or, if you're planning to use AgentInbox and have questions, ask away and we'll try to get you answers as fast as possible. The idea is to get the AgentInbox service humming as smoothly as possible for both author and agent. Happy querying! John