This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/6/2008 3:11 PM PST
That is great advice. :) I once wrote until 6.30am, because I had work due in the next day (an essay on existentialism) and found that worked best for me, rather than writing earlier. :) xXx
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/29/2008 2:02 PM PST
Stay up late and write for your hearts content! Trust me, you won't realised you wrote it until you really thik back hard. I mean staying up until about 1:00 AM or so! X

Posted: 10/12/2008 5:12 PM PDT
I have one more idea for you... and this is something that I've been doing recently, well, a couple of things. 1Read your favorite book over or watch your favorite episode of your favorite show and just examine it as close as you can. Figure out what you like about it and what you don't. Then, try a kinda fan-fiction. Starting from the end of the book or end of the episode, continue it with your own new story plot. Add new characters and come up with new ideas. You don't have to write your idea, but you can. Once you're done with it, well, you usually never really end a fan-fiction, but once your done, take the best parts/edits you made to it and scribble it all on the most random sheet of paper you can find. Then, put on every other idea that you have and can add to it until it's full. Put in some lines connecting people, places, times, events, etc. so you can understand it. Then, just work off of it. 2Keep an empty pad of paper with you everywhere you go. When you see something or think of something that might work, scribble it on. Then, repeat the end of my first idea: Put in some lines connecting people, pleaces, times, events, etc. so you can understand it. Then, just work off of it. ^^when you have a writers block, these ideas are awsome to help you spark an idea. The writer's block will probably come back after that story/poem/whatever, but just do it again. Once you get the hang of it, the writer's blocks will stop coming all together and life will be easier^^

Posted: 9/3/2008 11:47 AM PDT
I'm with Lallybell, Pegasee, and others -- when you're blocked, it's important to give yourself permission to write absolute, utter crap. If you only have 10 minutes a day, sit down and write for 10 minutes. Tell yourself: "I am going to write the worst crap ever, for 10 minutes." Then just keep your hand moving. I won't pretend that you will magically write great stuff in those 10 minutes. You probably will write crap, especially at first. But it works sort of like Drano, clearing out all the gunk in your pipes. I used to live upstairs from a saxophone player. Hearing him practice every day was a great reminder that I, too, needed to run through my scales on a regular basis. I can't 't expect myself to sit down and perform an amazing set just because I wanted to -- I have to literally practice the physical movement of writing, pen in hand. Don't stress out about when you're going to write your next story. Just start writing words...any words. If you haven't read Natalie Goldberg's books, she's a great resource for blocked writers. Start with "Writing Down the Bones" -- it's a classic.

Posted: 9/2/2008 5:59 AM PDT
This happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. It is always harder to write when your on a deadline. If your not forcing yourself to write, you will be more inspired to write. A lot of people forget about their imagination too. If you just watch a movie, or listen to a song, and come up with your own versions of them you will exercise your imagination. Thus, you will be able to imagine more, and possibly your next book.

Posted: 9/1/2008 5:44 PM PDT
please dont lose sleep over writers block... find a healthy walk that you can take a hike, find a pond, a stream something. bring a sketch pad or just a writing pad and a couple different colored pencils... blues, greens and just write down what you feel or what you see sometimes just clearing that mess out might make you more inspired. sometimes i take my old stories or notes that i never used and try to peice them together bt... whatever makes you happy.

Posted: 8/31/2008 11:19 PM PDT
look at your motivation for writing...what's in your heart...because if there's nothing there...that needs to be fixed... what i do is i think about a great fear of mine, and i write about that.

Posted: 8/31/2008 6:27 PM PDT
Write. Then write, and write some more. Write anything that comes to mind. It will eventually break.

Posted: 8/30/2008 8:10 AM PDT
Think of whatever you want to write about, then think of all the things you know, what is even vaguely related. Maybe you could use of of them as a basis

Posted: 8/30/2008 12:53 AM PDT
I also like writing in a journal day by day. I do not care about anything, I just write, write and write. Then, days after I re-read the material and highlight the thoughts, sentences or ideas I liked the best. Writer's block can be caused by many motives but the one that most affects me is when I am having a boring life. If, still writing, I get the writer's block (you type and type, write and write and still say nothing) I take a look at what I am living. Change boredom, routines, face stereotypes and pre-conceived ideas; try thinking the opposite way you usually think. Writing will change as a consequence.

Posted: 8/15/2008 3:43 AM PDT
I try to write everyday... even if its just utter crap. Aim for ahundred words a day. Could be anything. But force yourself to write something. Nobody has to see it so it can be as forced and as awful as anything. You'll be suprised how this can inspire plot ideas or character ideas. Also you might just write one amaizng paragrpah that you decide has to be in a sotry, and construct the story around that one paragraph. Good Luck

Posted: 8/13/2008 5:52 AM PDT
Anstey... That is great advice. It sounds so simple, but you are describing me exactly. Whenever I get stuck, it seems to be because I am trying to write something really good, and that just blocks me further.

Posted: 8/12/2008 9:12 AM PDT
Whenever I get writer's block, I change where i am. A change in setting can help kick-start creativeness, but it depends on how severe. Change something in your daily routine. Maybe you're just stressed out and need to take a break. It takes a while, but try not to get worked up about it. If you can't think of characters, try just observing people you're with often (strangers work too, but its harder to catch their manerisms) and maybe something will come to you.

Posted: 8/10/2008 8:33 PM PDT
Try marijuana. Works for me.

Posted: 8/10/2008 6:28 PM PDT
Something that I do, that seems to work for me, is to keep either your laptop or pen and paper by your bed. Write what ever you are thinking about before you go to bed. Then, if you can't go to sleep, write everything down that is on your mind and try to make a story out of that. Not only does it prepair you to go to bed, I find that a lot of my best poetry has come about this way.

Posted: 8/10/2008 12:05 AM PDT
i am qoinq to shoot at u with somethinq u miqht have heard before & miqht hate like i did the first time it was told to me but it works : "there is no such thinq as writer's block . writer's block is just a poor excuse writers use to not write ." my favorite creative writinq teacher told me this once & i completely sat there for 45 mins arquinq with the man that he was wronq . but i found out later on durrinq the yr that i was the one who was wronq . what i did to combat it (& trust me i didn't write before this for 3 yrs straiqht) is to use somethinq that has happened to before or even that same day as ur skeleton . use that as ur base of ur writinq like "i went to the store in the morninq & ran into Greg, my old close friend from hiqhschool" & shape ur writinq around the events that happened . base ur characters on the actual people but overdo their personalities like if someone is known to be bossy at times make them EXTREMELY bossy & obnoxious . it works better when u use somethinq that hits close to home like a bad breakup or a memory of an old flame . u may smile & daydream in the middle of it or start sobbinq but trust me thats a qood thinq . & if u daydream its even vetter b/c then u are crossinq the threshold of reality to barely real to pure fiction . before u noe it its a snowball effect & u have a qreat piece of work in front of u . trust me i qot thru that class doinq that trick & also finished my 2O paqe short story that way . which i actually exceeded the demand & turned in 4O so how about that !

Posted: 8/9/2008 11:56 PM PDT
seriously O.o sleep f*cks you up when you have writers block. i do it all the time, not from writters block, but because its sooo entertaining to see what i wrote about the next day.

Posted: 7/30/2008 11:10 AM PDT
Try excercise Try writing in a different format Read or listen to something that makes you angry and explain in beautiful prose why you are so angry Break up with your partner Sit in the same spot for a few days and write about what you see Im just thinking of stuff that gets the old emotions flowing, really, but if you write from the head not the heart then try shutting down. Works for me.

Posted: 7/29/2008 12:40 AM PDT

NavarCrow
Just f*king write it already.

Posted: 7/24/2008 8:29 AM PDT
@RiSkyBiZ13- I think I agree with Lemon-- whenever I can't get to sleep, a lot of ideas suddenly pop into my head. Unfortunately, I can never write them down. The thing is, you don't get any ideas {just got a dejavu} if your trying to. Which part of a writers block are you having? Plot? Characters? Setting? I might be able to help you come up with an idea, but, I can't cure your Writer's Block for you. Maybe if you get a friend to help you come up with one idea, there'll be a 'RING' in your head that'll cure your writer's block. It's worked for me a couple times. That, or, try to remember your dreams when you wake up. Then, write down all the facts you can remember of it. Repeat this every morning that you can remember your dreams until you have all of the Plot, Main Character, a few Side Characters, a time, and a place. Then, make a graphic organizer for the story, and, well, start typing! If you can't remember your dreams, then, that doesn't help either. I actually just had a writer's block, but, that Break the block! thing helped me get rid of it. Have you tried it yet?? If so, have you tried just clicking 3 and using it to help you figure out a character and a plot?? To tell you the truth, there are SO many differen't ways to get rid of a writer's block that not even ME could list all of. Just keep trying. If you need any more help, just ask.

Posted: 7/14/2008 9:17 AM PDT
The surest way to end writer's block is to write. Stop trying to write -- and write. I suspect you're trying to write something good. Something with quality. Something amazing. Yeah, cut that out. There's no point to it. It just freezes you in place -- the headlights of the oncoming destruction of your own personally deer-like self.

Posted: 7/13/2008 1:32 PM PDT

NavarCrow
u might be right sMooch, i guess it depends on the stuff u write, i like to write opinion pieces, have been known to write poetry, but hate reading it once i'm done, i always think it sucks, at least in my opinion pieces all i have to do is grammar and spell check and it's done

Posted: 7/13/2008 11:24 AM PDT
Lemon: that doesn't work either, I work 14-16 hour shifts so I hardly ever sleep regardless. Maybe that's my problem?

Posted: 7/13/2008 11:03 AM PDT
NavarCrow, that sounds like a lot of work. When I have Writers Block I just simply stop thinking about my story and live my normal life until something comes to me. It works everytime.

Posted: 7/13/2008 12:23 AM PDT

NavarCrow
this is what i do......take a piece of paper and write words or phrases that enter your mind for example; white with blue and red lines...............shooting on the news,gotta change the channel......................my dog won't stop barking at the neigbhors...........my soda is flat...............that song sucks.....................in a certain book i read this and this happens,and it leads to this revelation.......................french fries............................my favorite team lost today.............i wonder what the weather's like outside.............And on and on until there is absolutely no room left on the paper, then try to choose something you've written to write or expand upon

Posted: 7/13/2008 12:08 AM PDT
Try not to sleep. You'll be surprised what lack of sleep can do.

Posted: 7/12/2008 11:25 PM PDT
The stories I've posted are over a year old, and I've had writer's block since then. I've even gone as far as to try to use alcohol to break it (hell, it worked for Hemmingway and Stephen King, why not me?) but that didn't work. I can't find a prompt to break it, any ideas or suggestions?