This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Perfect words without the perfect artwork? Meet your match in our illustrators forum.
Posted: 7/23/2015 8:32 AM PDT
I recently have been working more on a new novel that is already heavily inspired by manga called Zeltis.  
It's about a young boy named Alex who gets in a fatal accident and gets an offer by a mysterious entity.  If the boy lets him take over his body from time to time, he will keep him from dying.  He forgets the deal when he wakes but soon starts to see himself battling demons in his "Dreams".  Is it real and why is it happening?  The supernatural world hidden to the masses starts to reveal itself to our young protagonist. So many mysteries pop up as he discovers more and more about the supernatural world he never believed existed.
So please at least check out the first three chapters here http://www.webook.com/project/Zeltis they are the ones I have edited so far.  The rest of the chapters are still pretty rough.  I think this story would be hugely successful if we did it right and would make a fantastic manga if someone was interested.  I have high standards for this since I eventually want to publish it so please don't join unless you have decent skill and determination.

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/26/2013 11:03 AM PDT
Hello there illustrators and artists. It's been awhile since I posted here so please don't pay much attention to the previous entries. I know I said I wouldn't post here again but I thought I would give it one more shot and hope for the best. Even though I can't pay someone now there are at least a few sites now that will pay people to post manga. I'm sure there is some kind of selection process but if we made a good manga we could post it on these sites and each get half of the profits. It wouldn't be much at first but if we managed to get a good following we could self publish and sell copies or try to get it published at a regular publisher. I have tried previously to do the two ideas I mentioned before and although they are all right, they could be done a lot better. Here is the one with the idol trying to love a normal life. I recently tried starting a prequel that happens before the main story and never finished so the story is a little confusing right now but if you wanted to see my work I would love some opinions on it. http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=50855 The other one with the computer game was started with another artist but she quit not long after starting and her art wasn't much better than mine. I have a novel I have been working on for some time that I think would make an awesome manga. It is fantasy/action/romance and I think even though it has the "girl from another world" theme, it has a lot of elements that make it very different from most manga stories. Basically a young girl gets transported to a parellel world where magic exists rather than technology. Every fantasy/mythological culture and race is present and she is swiftly pulled into a whirlwind of adventure. First being mistaken as the princess, then asked by the queen to stand in for the princess, then seduced by a dangerous dark elf and forced to run off on a quest just so said dark elf doesn't know where she is. She slowly finds out that she is possessed by a demonic soul who can pop out at the most inconvenient times and seems to not have any sense of morality or kindness. She has to find clues as to who this person is, that is inside her and how can she overcome her. It's basically the dark part of her own soul. With the help of a Half dragon and a shapeshifter Jacky confronts the runaway princess and the Dark elf. A prophecy speaks of her saving the world and all she wants is to return home. I have this project here on webook in book form if someone would like to check it out. It is called "The Darkstar Prophecy". I know it's hard to work on something where you won't get paid, or get very little but if whatever we worked on was published I would make sure we had an equal share in the profits.

Posted: 7/2/2009 12:08 AM PDT
Aww, I'm so sorry you were unable to find anyone to work on your story with you. I'm a self-taught mangaka (and have my own type of anime style so it's not the typical, generic manga-esque feel) and I would help you if I could get paid to do it, as I'm currently out of work and can't devote all my time to a storyline for someone else that doesn't provide some income. I sincierely hope you find someone, though. Try looking on the forums at http://www.deviantart.com It's another website that I go to with heaps of talented artists.

Posted: 12/12/2008 7:00 AM PST
If this thread is dead I guess I could just try somewhere else but I was hoping some artists would be interested in partnering in this. I am not a bad artist so it is not like I couldn't help at all I just have a lot of difficulty and don't have any idea how to do a manga or illustrate a children's book. This is the last I will try. If I don't get a reply soon I will let this thread die. Thanks to those who did comment earlier I just wish that someone had wanted to join me.

Posted: 11/24/2008 7:33 AM PST
I also had an idea for a cute children's book called "The Kid Detective". His name would be Christopher Kaleb Lawrence, called C.K. He would be a detective who would solve little mysteries around his house and town. I think he would be around eight or so and love reading detective stories and even want to be one when he grew up.

Posted: 11/17/2008 1:00 PM PST
I will start writing the scripts out for the Fantasy Legends manga soon if anyone is interested in joining me that would be awesome.

Posted: 11/7/2008 11:31 AM PST
This (see above post) particular idea is pretty rough but Manga is well known for having tons of stories with similar themes. I can't even name the amount of mech groups like Gundam. This is not an excuse to copy or anything I am just saying that having a similar theme seems to work well in the manga genre. I was going to make her look pretty nerdy when she was "Undercover" like superman versus clark kent. She would also have an abrasive personality but be pretty smart. Her "Idol" persona would be sexy and perky. There would be other things but I still hope to make my novel "fantasy Legends" into a manga. It is a lot more unique. In that one I have a high school girl in the future. Her step-father is the head of a magor company and came up with the most posular Online role-playing game on the market. She is great in the game and even famous as an alpha tester. In real life though she wants to be normal and not constantly worried about people being fake to get her favor or looking down on her cause their relative is in competition with her father. So in school she keeps a low profile but her pride gets in the way. She starts to let things slip and first her computer identity is found and through that her real identity. Will anything be normal again?

Posted: 11/6/2008 12:24 AM PST
no offense, in terms of originality, that isn't the best. as you said so yourself, its kind of like hannah montana with a twist. but there are a gizilliion other mangas out there like that- Skip Beat, Gravitation, Full Moon o Sagashite, the magical girl genre of mangas (i.e. Tokyo Mew Mew, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura), the list goes on. however, what you should do is something that sticks to your idea, but blends in something that makes it really stands out- i.e. an extremely odd main character, or the story is told from someone outside of the intended protagnists's pov, or the character has a really weird ability or lacks an usual skill most people would have (and not something just physical too, maybe mental?) anyways its a great set up for story that'll be staying within your group of friends, but if you want something that'll be published to the world, well, you'll need something that doesn't make your manga a repeat of ideas with just a different title.

Posted: 11/5/2008 6:25 AM PST
Another idea I had for a manga was a high school girl is famous but keeps her identity secret so she can live a normal life at school. (this is similar to Hannah Montanna but they are older and the scenes would be more intense and there would be more romance.) She also wouldn't be just a singer. She is firstly a model but becomes an actress and singer. If I used this idea I could write it as a scenario for a manga so it would be a little easier to start. I do still hope for my other story but maybe starting with this might be easier. Tell me what you guys think.

Posted: 11/1/2008 6:50 AM PST
I haven't heard from anyone in a while. I really hope we can work something out so we can start a really cool project.

Posted: 10/30/2008 8:37 AM PST
Hey chris. That sounds great. You know if people who loved manga got together like in a group and in projects we could all help each other make it happen. With more people helping I don't think it would be as hard as it could be. We also don't have a real deadline so we could start slow and work out the kinks until we got down the process. If it looked good we could post it on somone's site as a webcomic as well as here. That is how "Megatoyo" started out. It was just a webcomic and now it is published and has a huge following as well as a whole line of products that they sell. If you have a project up I will check it out.

Posted: 10/30/2008 8:32 AM PST
Thanks Happy dragon. I would love the help. I have always loved manga and really want to try this. I have a basic concept and some character drawings but of course, I can't draw the characters in different poses and make them look like the same person. I am also horrible at perspective and backgrounds. Also I started "Fantasy Legends" as a novel project but I think I could easily simplify it cause the pictures would tell some of the story. If people are seriously interested we could start a group project or something. It would be a lot of work like the other guy said but I think if we even got one to look remotely like a comic I think it would be good experience. So take a look at the book on my projects and see what you think so far. Have you read manga cause it is a very specific style? Anyway tell me if you think it would work. I wrote it hoping someday I could make it into a manga. I also have another idea that I could write especially for being a manga if you think "fantasy legends" won't work.

Posted: 10/29/2008 11:15 AM PST
Hi there makes two of us! as im new here and working on a graphic novel! however as far as art direction goes im still thinking as of what style to do it. If you want to talk about ideas ect feel free to holler me maybe we can help eachother. I can work with manga however how complex/long is ur story? Chris.

Posted: 10/28/2008 4:07 AM PST
I think this is a really nice idea of yours, right now I'm a high school student, but our school was making a comic book so I joined and managed to get my work published! If you need some help I'll help. I found it easy to darw people, monsters,dragons and backgrounds. I love writing, but find it hard to get my message across with such a small place to write in(speach bubbles). I'd be happy to help though.

Posted: 10/27/2008 8:03 PM PST
Just so you know, it'll be hard to get anyone to agree to this here, drawing a full graphic novel is serious, and above all time consuming, if you'd like some hints on doing it yourself, or some character roughs done I'd be happy to help, but as for a full novel, I just don't have the time, take into account that a five page comic is going to take between 1 and 2 weeks of 8-10 hour days, it's a big commitment, especially if the idea isn't sold. On the other hand, if you just write the script, maybe do some very basic storyboards, if your work's good enough to print, the publishers will find an artist (at least I know thats how 2000AD does it.)

Posted: 10/25/2008 7:22 AM PDT
I don't know how this would work here but I have wanted to create a manga for a long time. I admire the Japanese manga artists and want my work to really reflect that style. I am an artist but I am bad at backgrounds and drawing something more than once and having it look the same. I love to write though. I have a few projects up so take a look and see if you like my writing style. I think my project "Fantasy Legends" really has the feel of a manga already. I also have other ideas. I really want a partner artist who is familiar with japanese manga style drawing who can partner with me to create a great work. We would split any profit 50/50 and also have both our names on the cover. Please message me if any of you out there are interested. This would be an in depth project and we would have to continuously be in contact so no lazybones people please.