This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 10/7/2008 4:05 AM PDT
You could try reading your favourite books beginning and do something similar to that. Or start off with Aja having a dream and waking up to her terrible life and start it of like that.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/5/2008 12:34 AM PDT
If you already know how you want the story to go, the plot, the characters personality traits, the dialogue and everthing is in your head and you are just wanting to OPNE the story...I would start by telling a story. Like this...call a friend you know, or someone you know that is over for coffee. It shoudl be someone who knows you are a writer and wont think you are bonkers. Or...do what I do and talk to the computer screen. Sit down. Tell your friend you are going to tell them a story as if it happened to you. So begin. YOU are the character. How woul dyou tell your friend these things. How do you start. Do you just open your mouth and say "I was abused" or do you hesitate as most do and lead up to it. rough example: telling a friend ' There are alot of things I have been through and there is one thing that has stuck with me. I have only just begun to admit it to myself. It began when I was younger, much younger, and I carry it with me everywhere I go. Do you have a minute? It could take a while if"... and thinknig abou tit, that is definitely how you could open the story. The adult telling a trusted friend and admiting it, begining to clear the air. I agree the conflict cannot be already resolved so the friend/trusted person could refuse to believe and then the soul searching begins, or lies about certain events to deny that the adult had those things happne. 'it can't be, you never had an uncle robbie' well, that is too extreme a lie but along th elines of the adult recounting a gift of a beloved stuffed animal and the friend/trusted says there never was such a bear/rabbit/piglet. I hope this helped. I don't think this is an easy story to tell so you are right to want it to be perfect. Eventually you are going to wake up, sooner rather than later I am sure is what you are thinking, and just know...my fingers go here on the keyboard because this is how I am meant to tell this story. epiphanies. .. . waiting for them takes FOREVER doesn't it?! Karisha Prescott I would love to read this when it is writen. I wish you the best!

Posted: 9/20/2008 10:57 PM PDT
maybe she is having a nightmare as an adult and wakes up terrified?

Posted: 9/19/2008 7:30 AM PDT
I agree with the suggestion to start with the character as an adult. To tell a story with this much emotional rawness, it may be helpful to first create some distance, allowing the narrator to look back on traumatic things that happened in her past. The trauma shouldn't be totally resolved -- otherwise, there wouldn't be a story -- but the character as an adult may have more of a hope of understanding and resolving what happened to her, which may be necessary to make the story satisfying to readers. I'd also recommend spending some time reading books in which awful things happen, especially to children. It is a tricky task to make material this intense into a story that will draw readers in and make them want to keep reading. I'd recommend Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones," about a child who is raped and murdered. Pay attention to all the things the writer does to make this story come to life, and to make it into a compelling narrative without softening the blow of the horrible event. Good luck with this project!

Posted: 9/18/2008 8:52 PM PDT
Maybe the story can start with the main character as an adult, searching for her siblings? Then you could alternate between the present tense search for her family and her past, and all the horrible things that happened to her.

Posted: 9/18/2008 4:54 PM PDT
Depending on when exactly the story starts, I can think of a few ways that will hopefully help you out. If you want to start lie a narrative, some time after being molested, then you could be like, "I am Aja, and I am no ordinary girl" or soemthing like that. Or if you want to do a more in depth thing you could divulge some of Aja's feelings and thoughts on the subject. "This is such a mess; I'll never get out of it. What will I tell my aunt? What will he do to me if I tell? I need to get out of this." sort of thing. Hopefully that helps. :)

Posted: 9/18/2008 11:25 AM PDT
I have been creating this story of a younger girls struggle throught life. Father kills mother and then himself. The kids are aeperated and taken to a relatives house. Aja the main character is molested by her aunt's husband. For years she was being molested and she told no one, seeing that her decision to continue her life are reflected by the untold torture. I dont know how to begin the story. Ive have re-written this chapeter over and over and Im am not satisified. Can anyone tell me how I should start or introduce my story.