This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/23/2009 4:53 PM PST
What find most of the time in situations like that is that the character is now ignored. I find myself too often wondering where I want the story to go? How would I react? In reality the author disappeared at the title page and the characters take over. What I do sometimes at the freezing point is walk away. Talk myself through the scene for a few minutes and even try on a character for a while. You have to think of how they would react and run with it. A bad a@@ is going to be one through to the end so you have to stick with that. An emotional one is going to be that forever. Try to pull that in and see how it works. Hope that helped at least a little LOL LeTeisha
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/21/2009 5:25 AM PST

BlankPage
Give a shot on writing some scenes which are completely unrelated to your novel. Create a 'random crap' type project for yourself just to post practice scenes, short stories, or whatever, just to practice. Try to come up with a scene that it as intense as you can get it, then write it. If it is utter crap, who cares? It's for practice. I think that the most important lessons are learned in failures, so even if you create a complete failure for an intense scene, you'll be able to figure out where you went wrong, and where you went right,and apply those lessons to what is really important, your novel.

Posted: 3/18/2009 6:02 AM PST
I know how you feel. For me, I freeze because I feel the scene is so important to the novel that if I screw it up the whole novel will die a horrible death of disappointment. I would even write around the scene and move on as if I had wrote it because I wanted to finish the darn thing. So, what I did was I first "sketched" out the scene. What did I want to happen, how horrific was the scene, what did I want to prove by writing it? I then wrote it in chunks and tried to meld them together. It wasn't easy, but because I broke it up I think it worked out okay. This may sound odd but I also close my eyes and picture what I want to happen and I try to go from there. A book that really helped me was Stephen King's A Memoir of the Craft On Writing. You can skip through his life and go straight to what he says on writing. He talks about building your "toolbox" that all writers need. Also, I found help in college through workshops. Try and find a local writer's group in your area and see if they do critiques to help you press on. I hope I've helped. Good Luck with your work. Sincerely, LovelyLovecraft

Posted: 3/12/2009 11:49 PM PST
Opinions and suggestions welcome I am having trouble with my novels and short stories, I have a very hard time writing the more tense scenes. I mean, I have no trouble building up to the big scenes, but when it comes to executing them, I freeze. My mind goes blank, refusing to budge an inch for me. It's getting pretty rediculous these days when I have so much work to get done on certian chapters, if I can only get past the big scenes I know I'll be ok for the rest and the books may finish themselves practically. Any suggestions and what to do, or a link I can go to, or maybe a course or a some ideas on a process or something that has worked for you to deal and finish with the big scenes will be welcome. I am a desperate writer, I need help, its shake and bake and I need your help. LOL Nica