This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/4/2008 12:28 AM PDT
I agree with the previous posts, when writing about yourself you want to use yourself as an inspiration, but if you are deadset on writing in the first person... Mistakes. Yes there have been mistakes. Or maybe just bad fortune to be born into a family... Best bet is proably build your self a timeline and then expand on it as you go.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/3/2008 11:58 AM PDT
I've always found that my weakest characters are the ones I base on myself. It's hard to get enough distance from yourself to write in an interesting and believable way. So I agree with Lallybell about using some events from your life, but changing it to allow the story to come to life on its own. I love writing about people I know, but they always change so much by the time the story's done, they don't really look like the person I thought I was writing about. This is great, because I can write about the same people over and over again and they come out differently every time! And definitely change the names. This advice is best for if you're planning on fictionalizing your story. If you want to write a memoir, your approach will be different. Try going to the library and checking out some memoirs to see what those writers did. "The Liar's Club" is one great memoir. Others might have more recommendations.

Posted: 9/2/2008 4:24 AM PDT
I'd say prologue an important bit form your childhood. I'd try altering alot of it for your novel, I mean for your own emotional wellbeing. Use your life as the skeleton, but alter bits. Have different outcomes that led to different events have different character reactions. I read an article about writing that said that newer writers (I don't mean to insult you if you are not a newer writer) fall down because they base it too much on their own lives, and stick too much to it. Use your life as inspiration but do not be afraid to change major sections of it. You don't want to send it to an agent for them to turn around and see its awful, when it is a carbon copy of your life. That is a double smakc in the chops. Good luck xxx

Posted: 8/28/2008 3:35 PM PDT
should i ofcourse change the names for apparent reasons becasue they will hurt people? also this is my story of what happened to me. i led a very disfunctional life as a child , marriied a man i wasnt very happy with who controled my every move, and he assulted my characted at ever cost. i met a man at my place of buisniess whom i proceeded to have an affair with. he introduces him self, and the lie begins there he lies at what he does for a living..........at his livng arrangements .and his futre.. how do i start this from when i was a child ????