This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/17/2010 7:10 AM PDT
They make their own swords, you said? How about the only way they can MAKE a sword is by finding another immortal. Once they do, they have to trap the other immortal's soul-- the last piece they need to forge their blade. That way maybe the immortal isn't destroyed (just trapped), and they could even still have an impact on the wielder of the weapon (maybe while holding the sword they can communicate with the trapped soul, not controlling by any means unless that's what you want).
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/7/2010 3:42 PM PDT
I think making them just leave the world is your best bet. Depending on the setting of this story, you can have them do something like go through a portal to another world, fly off into space, go back to Heaven/Hell...Whichever the case may be. If they cannot die, making them leave for a good purpose is a nice way to go. Maybe the main character challenges them to a dual, and wins? The stakes could be that the bad guy has to go to some eternal damnation or something of that sort.

Posted: 9/6/2010 8:47 PM PDT
I think JJDrake was on the right track. Don't get yourself tied into a war of escalation. Your creatures/characters are already superpowered, do not create an even more powerful superpower necessary to kill it, because the question just becomes: What trumps THAT? Terry Goodkind is an excellent example of this trap. (They kill the All Powerful Evil in the first book... then what happens? A MORE ALL POWERFUL EVIL for the second book! And there's 10 books!) My recommendation is go for the utterly mundane. Think of something that would be treacherous but not necessarily deadly for a normal person, but when turned on this superperson, it becomes fatal simply because they are so caught up in their own hubris that guarding against such a thing would be beneath them. Things that spring to my mind: A snake bite Lead poisoning Falling down a flight of stairs Accidental suffocation Miscarriage Brain hemorrhage Suicide Few things strike a reader better than seeing someone high being brought low (villains or heroes alike). But in case you're just looking for something more exotic, here's a few thoughts: Being crushed/flattened in a shrinking room Seeing their reflection in a lake from their childhood Weakness during an eclipse makes them vulnerable Blade forged from their own silver-blood Aging stone brings the true weight of their years Time manipulation prevents them from being created/born at all Killing/undoing whatever person/force created them

Posted: 8/12/2010 2:43 PM PDT
sorry if this one was said, but imprisonment why kill him when you can in case him in magma following a sword fight turned trap.a faith worse than death.

Posted: 8/12/2010 6:46 AM PDT
Energy drain could kill them. You say that water and sunlight make them stronger, therefore the energy is being absorbed and converted to enhance them biologically. If this is the case it's probably safe to assume that the energy they absorb offsets the energy they expend from 'doing their thing' (making swords, fighting, running, knitting exciting underwear). Now, if they were faced with some kind of adversary or adverse situation (e.g. an aggressive adaptive virus) that caused them to expend more biological energy than they are absorbing, essentially wearing them down until they die of exhaustion. This could give you situations where they need to be in water or sunlight simply to survive, being weakened by the night or lack of water (or whatever else makes them stronger). Now you set up a scenario where something that they want/need/value/love is in one of those danger environments and you have a weakened character (kind of like Lex Luthor luring Superman into a Kryptonite-lined room).

Posted: 8/10/2010 2:55 PM PDT
umm... I created a type of character called a Raven, they are creatures (any creature) who sold their soul to Death in exchange for the survival of another, they must earn back their soul by killing those who Death can't touch- EG: your character.

Posted: 7/26/2010 8:33 PM PDT
You don't have to kill the character just make em go away for a while or something. But suggestions for killing them Have them get hit by a car in the night whilst their walking. Have them trip off a cliff. Have them be betrayed by someone and have that particular someone push them off a cliff IDK just some ideas

Posted: 7/19/2010 1:12 AM PDT
or how you have to kill the Dead in the Old Kingdom trilogy- complete destruction of the body, shot to pieces or burned up, running water even.

Posted: 7/17/2010 11:24 PM PDT
awesome you guys! this is really helpful. keep 'em coming. : )

Posted: 7/17/2010 12:24 PM PDT
Ten ideas for your perusal. (1) Broken Heart Certainly a possibility - losing something you love ever so dearly could have tragic consquences. (2) Something Unexpected Remember the bible. Sampson had immortal strength until Delilah cut his hair. Perhaps hair removal could also mean the death of your indestructible character. (3) Divine Intervention Anger the gods too much and they may grow weary of your character's antics. (4) Choose to Die Would you character grow weary? Become fed up with Life? Could they wish death upon themselves? Can they shed their skin like a snake and start afresh as someone new? (5) Superstition Do your characters have any superstitions that they believe in without a doubt? Could a superstition end the life of your character? (6) Everyday Products Coffee, Alcohol, etc (7) Soul mate / Another Self When their soul mate dies, so do they. (8) Transformation As a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, could your characters transform into something else at certain stages in their life. These stages could make them weaker and eventually prone to death. (9) Sex Could breeding with a normal human bring about death? What a way to go. (10) Drought You say water increases their strength. What happens if you take the water away? Hopefully one of these ideas may help your train of thought. Cheers Jon

Posted: 7/15/2010 5:55 AM PDT
try binding (into stone or crystal amulet) it takes the character away and gives you a chance to bring them back later if you need it...

Posted: 7/8/2010 8:39 AM PDT
Thank you, everyone! Keep the great ideas coming... I think I almost have it, but hearing ideas from others is really helpful. -Toriahna O'Malley

Posted: 7/7/2010 11:56 PM PDT
In fantasy novels that I have read, you could think of a really powerful weapon of mass destruction. For example, a weapon that could weaken that character that once you have full control of his powers, you can use them to use it on him. And believe me, I have been writing fantasy novels for a while and it works! Another is that you have to find a weakness. Every character in a book has a weakness. Love, revenge, or something off the Superman films. Lol, kinda awkward. Anyway, it's a book, you can do anything! Just think up something with your imagination and it will strike you like lightning!

Posted: 7/7/2010 3:57 PM PDT
Each of the immortal characters has a doppelganger, also immortal in the normal course of events. However, if a character and his or her doppelganger were to come into physical contact then they would annihilate each other, like matter and anti-matter.

Posted: 7/3/2010 3:28 AM PDT
You mentioned that they make their own swords? Perhaps if in crafting their own swords, their sword becomes bonded to them, especially to the heart. Then, by taking their sword, and stabbing them through the heart, you can kill them. Just an idea.

Posted: 6/29/2010 7:07 AM PDT
thanks for the ideas.. i will definitely think about that last one. i'm trying to make this as epic as possible.

Posted: 6/25/2010 8:25 AM PDT
perhaps it's something that usually cannot kill them but in a certain form it can. Like star fire. Literally, fire from the stars. Or dragon fire or whatnot. Luckily, every person in the entire world, even Ron Dubach , has a weakness of some sort. EXPLOIT IT! or this guy will NEVER DIE! You have made things very difficult on yourself, but that is ok! You could try to crush the villain to death with heavy rocks, metal, mountains, the like. Perhaps if we look at your list of how they can't die you'll find that you told yourself how to kill him. If sunlight makes them stronger, fight in the dark. bury him alive under the ocean. Or throw him in a volcano and then fill in the volcano. send them through time to before the world existed. I once read a book where the long time villain was killed by a newer villain who had more superior weapons. the new one slashed the old one and the old one lost all nine of his lives at once. Cut the stupid villain from his throat to his gut and then cut his head off. I'm not sure. Hope this was semi helpful. Take your pick, or think of something else, but good luck and Write on!

Posted: 6/21/2010 11:09 AM PDT
um that would be good, if silver didn't run in their veins, which it does. i'm not sure about the witch thing...but it would only be the villain. though i was planning on putting some sort of sword fight in it.... i 'm just not sure how it will work....though part of the scene is very vivid in my head... i'm not certain how it could hurt an immortal. one other thing ishold mention is that they make the swords themselves... so maybe there's an idea there.... idk yet. thanks to all for your help though... this is really helping me think. : )

Posted: 6/21/2010 3:46 AM PDT
Well, there is always a weapon of pure silver, or maybe they become vulnerable at a certain time of month/year? You could use a magical ritual that could be done to weaken/kill a character, but it has to be done by a powerful witch/mage. other than that, I have no ideas lol

Posted: 6/19/2010 10:34 AM PDT
It's fantasy so there are no real rules. You could go all Vlad the Impaler about it. You could invent a Death Kisser. Not a poison but a plant? or a "chip"? It could kill slowly. Your character may not even know he/she/it has ingested it. It can be flavorless, ordorless, very rare. It could be delivered in a cup of tea or by smelling a flower. Maybe your MC has an idiosyncrasy that could provide a method of deployment, for example, if MC has an affinity for orchids, the poison/chip could be delivered through smelling the flower. If MC has a habit of wearing glasses, maybe the thing could be placed on the nose peice of the frames and thereby could be absorbed into the skin? If the death takes place during a battle or physical confrontation, the agent of death could be delivered on the end of a sword, dagger, etc. How cool is that? I love fantasy because anything is possible.

Posted: 6/19/2010 4:19 AM PDT

Tkain
There are a lot of variables still missing that would help to define what type of death your looking for. What time period does the story take place in? Is magic used in your book? Is this a good character or a villian? Should this be a good death or a bad death? (painfull or gentle) Does the character have to die or just be removed from the story? Without these details I can only give you a few ideas that might not fit your story. Death by a high fall. Cliff/tower/plane/orbital entry. Eaten by an animal. Shark/whale/dragon. Frozen in ice for all time. Vacuum chamber/high pressure chamber. Radiation. Nanites. Acid. Decapitation. Particle accelerator.

Posted: 6/19/2010 2:11 AM PDT
Poison? Something either well-known (belladonna, hemlock) or something the characters are allergic to, that is usually avoided without arousing suspicion (grapes, for example). If not, there's always strangulation, LOL. Unless the characters don't need air to survive.

Posted: 6/18/2010 5:21 PM PDT
I'm writing a fantasy. I have pretty much everything planned out, except for how to kill a certain character. My major problem is that several of my characters (including my MC's) do not age and they are basically indestructible. The usual methods will not work. I need some outside the box thinking. Any Ideas? BTW: some methods that DO NOT work: Fire Guns Drowning ( being in water only in creases their strength) Diseases. Blood on the knife/sword/pointy thing. (maybe so, but i think it's overdone, so no.) Sunlight (in case your thinking the MC's are vampires or something... they're not. -I prefer something more original. besides, sunlight does the same as water.)