This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/21/2008 2:03 AM PST
I know exactly what you mean! I've hard a very hard time lately getting back to my story. I feel like it's never going to get finished, and I say I'm going to write tomorrow, or the next day, yet I never do. What usually helps me is putting on songs that remind me of who, or what I am writing about, and it really gets me in the mood despite what's going on in my personal life. Also, try and find a quiet place to write, away from that man. Stay away from phone calls, text messages, and emails. Go inward for a day and find your story again. This worked for me, and I got right back into the rhythm of my story for that one day, but the next day things were hectic as always again, but I recommend you try this.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/16/2008 11:16 AM PST
Interesting problem - I've got the same one. Yes, happiness or simply being busy with a job & family tends to thwart the will to write. The only thing that really helps is to set up a schedule (as some may have already mentioned) and stick to it as much as possible. Life will always intrude, so you just have to make time. My 'Writing Time' is between 8pm-10pm on week nights and 8am-11am on the weekends. I utilize this time to write "something," even if it's not my main project. Everyone in the house knows not to bother me during those hours. It took a while to enforce that, but once they learned to not bother me, I was able to begin focusing on my writing work again. One thing I've found out, too --- if I get bored with a story when I'm only two or three chapters into it, then I have to go back to the drawing board and either rewrite from a different perspective, or else start something completely new. The reason for this is what an editor friend once told me: "If you get bored with it right away, then chances are your readers will get bored, too. Rewrite it or move on to something else." I haven't read your story, of course, so I can't say whether it has a good or bad starting point, but what you might try to do jn order to get interested in it again is to rewrite the opening chapter and begin the story either with a different character (if in 3rd person) or in a different place chronologically. Some writers start a story 'en media res,' meaning 'in the middle' and they work outward from where the important actions first started. An example of something like this might be in my own case, where I have to do a complete rewrite because I wrote 20 chapters of a story in first person and found out too late that in order to show what else is going on in the story, I need another person's viewpoint. My current WIP is about an accident at a chemical plant (an eco-horror) and I discovered that it starts too slowly and the MC is not aware of everything that's going on pertaining to the plot. I'm also going to start it two days after the accident has occurred rather than a few weeks beforehand as I'd already done. That means ten chapters are trashed or rewritten, but it will ultimately make for a better read (I hope). Best wishes & happy writing JKSC

Posted: 11/13/2008 3:02 AM PST
Thank you Nikk for you feedback you are very knowledgable and i very much apreciate it. I started my writing as a way of coping with my home situation, it is a fictional piece something i used to stop myself going mad i do think but it is something completely unrelated to my life, it gave me something else to concentrate on and it really did help but now going back over it bit by bit i am scard it is not worthy that is why ia sked the question. For now i will battle on i donot have much opportunity to get ont eh computer but when i get into it i love it. My story is about three siblings who loose their paraents and youngest sister in a horrific car accident and how they learn the truth about despirate their finanical situation which the father had hidden from everyone and how hard it is learning to cope with out their family. A year passed by and another tradigity happened, the remaining daughter was kidnapped at first presumed a run away by the police. Any way to cut it short she is missing for 18 months, brainwashed into thinking she was someone else( and drugged). During this time the remaining brothers find out they have a another sister no one knew existed. at first they did nto want to accept it but they eventually did deistated that their father had ben unfaithfun to their mother. When the missing sister was found she ran in fear and was in a accidnet left paralised from the waste down........ Please you wer ekind enough to offer an oponion can you please give me an idea what you think of my story like is it worth presueing i have put years into it and know it still needs heaps of work .. thanks you Nikk or anyone else who has any ideas every one welcome Thanks......

Posted: 11/7/2008 8:34 PM PST
You should really not try to judge your writing until you're finished with it. Editing is hard and takes time and energy, especially emotional energy, but in the end it makes the story and characters better than they were in the beginning. To answer your question about knowing whether something is worth doing, you should ask yourself whether or not you have something to say. Clearly if you put all the time into putting your thoughts on paper, then you have a viewpoint on the world that should be heard by someone. That makes it worth editing and polishing, in my opinion.

Posted: 11/7/2008 3:04 AM PST
Lady -A...... wow i have tghe same problem but with mine istarted writing a couple of years ago on and off. Well i think i finished it but editing it is my big problem i am no good at getting it to sound right and its now over 250 pgs of first copy and i am finding it extremly hard to get motivated as i beleive that may be it is not good enough of worth finishing how do i get past this and how do i really know if it is worth doing????????

Posted: 10/31/2008 12:30 AM PST
Thanks you two! I remember used to choose a music that was supposed to relate to stuff I was writing, and then always played it when I would write... Not a thing I'd do now, though, 'cause music actually spoils my concentration, and then I'm sharing a room with someone, so I don't really listen to music of mine any more at all. But reading or watching movies is still a good idea, though I must say I feel what I write to be rather peculiar and not mirrored on anything much. The point about characters is interesting. I'll try it next time (the mood's come back :)).

Posted: 10/26/2008 5:22 PM PST
Using other sources in the same genre or mood you want to write in can help. If it's fantasy, watch some fantasy films or read some fairy tales. When I was working on Standing Eight Count I watched The Departed and The Black Donnellys since they both were about the Irish Mob. I also listened to The Dropkick Murphys and similar. I also talk to my characters... O.K. this does make me sound a bit mad... but they sort of follow me around during the day and I place them in situations they wouldn't normally be in and see how they respond. Sort of: What would this character say in response to that? If you're very character-oriented it's actually easier to avoid writer's block than if everything depends on the plot. Do some exercises where you just write a scene from your character's past... or having them just hanging around and thinking, working things out in their heads.

Posted: 10/19/2008 8:44 PM PDT
I know exactly what you're feeling. I started two serious stories that are sort of related, though somewhat different. These were ideas of a beginning for my vampire, lol. Anyways, I write best in a quiet state of mind as well. When I feel distracted by the emotions of others, which I can feel very strongly, I usually lock myself into my room and "meditate." {I had to find my own way, because the types I've read about didn't work for me.} And when I felt close to that state again, I started writing a free-write about something that was totally off subject and not about my vampire. Then I itched to start writing the story again. I felt that same calmness that I had when I first started with the two story-lines, and I was able to write again. I finally found which one I wanted for a beginning, and may use the other for another story. {These, also aren't on WEbook, but are personal projects of mine.}

Posted: 10/19/2008 1:31 PM PDT
Hey all, just wondering if you've ever had that kind of problem and what you did to remedy it... Namely, it's not properly an awful writer's block. I feel able to write. It's more a problem of getting my writing focused and under control. I started writing a story quite seriously about a month or two ago. Eventually finished a chapter. And then I traveled back to my dad's place and lazed around for a week while I was there... and upon coming back here, to the place where I normally live and work, I found out that the man I wish to marry (LOL) feels more towards me than just friendship... Too much feeling, whether happiness or despair, kills inspiration, don't you agree? Anyway, I'm someone who writes when in a very quiet and detached state of mind. All this pretty much broke the rhythm and mood I was in when writing the first chapter. I can't seem to apply myself to dealing with the second one. A draft already exists for it, though. There's no blank page or not knowing where I'm going. But I remember there was a time, while I was polishing the first chapter, when I knew very well what I wanted for the second, and now I don't feel like doing anything if it's not going to be just that, just what I used to have in mind. TBH I don't expect any miraculous solution... Perhaps I simply wanted to get this off my chest... (PS the story I'm talking about is not up on WEbook)