This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 10/22/2008 3:03 AM PDT
If your characters are going to mesh in a chapter, maybe you could change fonts or use italics? I've seen this in Phillipa Gregory's novels and it works really well. However, she alternates between third person narrative and first person narrative so I'm not sure how that would work in your context. Let me know when your work is posted and I'll take a look. Sarah.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/21/2008 2:34 PM PDT
That's interesting. I didn't think of this, thank you very much for bringing it up!

Posted: 10/21/2008 8:22 AM PDT
Maybe you could title your chapters with the name of the character that the specific chapter is going to focus on. I've read a few books like that - it can either work really well or it can get confusing.

Posted: 10/20/2008 2:30 PM PDT
Thank you very much for that. ^^ All an 'elemental' is for this story is a character born from a certain element. It's power is what it was born from and it has some control over that element. So as long as I switch from the student to the elemental back and forth until they meet (that's my current plan), I should try for it? Thank you much!

Posted: 10/20/2008 2:21 PM PDT
Norux, I don't really know what an Elemental is -- and I don't read a lot of stories about elves! -- but I think I can help you. You're asking a question about point of view, also known as POV. You can read a detailed explanation of all the different POVs here: http://www.webook.com/WritingTips/CheckYourPointOfView . As a writer, there are no hard and fast rules about what POV you should use -- but once you choose one, you should stick to it. Does that mean, if you start off in the student's point of view, you can't switch to the person who runs the school? No! It just means that, if you're going to switch POVs, this should be something you do throughout the book. It would be a little weird to have a whole book written from one character's POV, with just one chapter in the middle from another character's POV. (Though you could even pull that off, if it worked for the story!) Don't worry about what's "allowed." Especially in a first draft, write about wherever you think the story should go. Later, you may decide that you don't need the chapter about the person who runs the school -- or you may decide to keep it. It depends on whether or not it moves the story forward, and is interesting to read.

Posted: 10/20/2008 2:06 PM PDT
I'm having a hard time deciding what is allowed/good versus what isn't. In my story, I have an elf that I introed on chapter one join a magic school on chapter six because of uncontrolled power. The next chapter, it's been a month since he'd joined that school and the person who runs that school had met with an elemental geared character. Am I allowed to stay with the Elemental for a chapter, or should I just stick with the student? I'm sorry if this is mixed or confusing to read, it's just something that's been keeping me frozen because I don't know what to do.