This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Water Cooler > Newbies > Character Perspective
New to WEbook? Get started here.
Posted: 1/22/2015 10:45 AM PST
It depends on what you want the flow of the story to be, and what you want to achieve with the different POVs. If the different POVs are altogether you can do it Robert Jordan style and switch the POV with each couple of paragraphs, which makes it written all in one go. You can do the POVs by chapter, as was previously suggested, if you have things that are hidden from other characters. I wouldn't suggest writing just one perspective and then switching to another, but that might be a good way to go back and edit characters (just to make sure each perspective feels complete, rather than forced by the narrative). 
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/20/2015 8:39 AM PST
I have a WIP (work in progress) told from POVs of three MCs (main characters). It's historical fiction, not fantasy, but I've taken the approach of writing segment by segment.  So far the chapters have been written in alternating POV's, though in no set pattern.  For example: Chapter 1=Character A, Chapter 2=Character B, Chapters 3 & 4=Character A, Chapter 5=Character C.  My personal opinion is that the chapter should be told from the POV of the character most impacted by the action in that particular chapter.  It is my hope that each character's narrative could be extracted from the larger work and still tell a complete story.  The three stories would be slightly different, as every character (and most likely every reader) is sure to have a unique experience.
Best of luck with your project!

Posted: 1/20/2015 6:54 AM PST
So I am currently writing what I hope to be the first in the series of fantasy fiction books and I had a question for those who are more experienced or those who are doing a similar thing.
I am writing the story for the perspectives of three main characters (with the odd one or two minor characters thrown in). Would I be better off writing one entire perspective in one go or continue on as I have been writing it segment by segment.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks