This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 10/23/2008 9:32 AM PDT
coolness.great idea. i'll probably be using that with my stories lol
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/21/2008 10:54 PM PDT
YES that is a great idea, i belong to a creative writing club at my school we had a workshop today wher we played the story game 1. you all sit in a circle 2, one person starts with once upon a time there was... 3. the next person goes and the next person goes until the plot is so complicated, in a way, and so confusing some one has to say they all lived ahppily ever after, they all died, or some thing they creat all by themselves your game made me think of this game today. it helps with wrters block also!!!

Posted: 10/21/2008 10:48 PM PDT
That is a great idea i do that all the time but for writes block i go for a nice jog around the neighborhood. to soak in a few sights, even bring your iod tolisten to the sounds you may even get insired from what you see and hear around you neihborhood.

Posted: 10/19/2008 9:33 PM PDT
One thing that works for me is studying with music playing... like tonight, I am cramming for a test while playing a little David Gilmore, and that juiced my head up enough where I could shoot out a quick poem. I think it has something to do with using your intellect brain (studying) and your creative brain (music) together. It's also best to research a topic you might be interested in writing about; example, if you think a poem about Winston Churchill might be interesting, start reading and researching him. More than likely, you'll come up with something which may or may not be related to anything about Churchill, but those beautiful tangents that come from reading and researching are wonderful.

Posted: 10/15/2008 8:38 PM PDT

Kiseki
I've never really thought about how the Theatre and Writing are so closely related! But Melissa is absolutely right. :] Improv games like that can actually be really fun and cheer you up, too. Getting depressed over writer's block wouldn't help at all.

Posted: 10/15/2008 6:23 AM PDT
Great idea, Daria. If this works for you, I imagine it's because it "shakes up" the language-association part of your brain, gets the neurons firing, and gives you more access to spontaneous ideas. I like to play a similar game called "This or That." You and your friend take turns coming up with random pairs of items and asking each other which you like best. The items in the pair can have an intrinsic relationship, but they don't have to -- like your game, it's best not to think to much, and just use whatever comes into your mind. Examples: Which do you prefer, sandals or crocodiles? Chimney sweeps or law clerks? Beaches or mountains? This game should be played as quickly as possible -- both the person asking and the person answering shouldn't have time to think. It doesn't matter which you REALLY prefer -- just answer as fast as you can. A slightly more complicated game, which takes more than one person (4 or more is ideal) is called "Penguins are great." It's adapted from improv theater, which has a lot to teach the blocked writer. If you have a writer's group, or just a group of friends interested in getting together and writing for fun, try this at the beginning of a meeting. 1) Buy a stuffed penguin. (Or any funny animal. I've done this successfully with lobsters, geese, and sharks.) 2) The person who will start the game holds the penguin and says, "Penguins are great BECAUSE..." and then they provide a reason that penguins are great -- only it shouldn't really be a reason they're great. The less sense it makes, and the less true it is, the more appallingly WRONG it is, the better. Again, don't over-think! Example: "Penguins are great because you can cut off their beaks and use them to make cornucopias for your Thanksgiving table." 3) That person then tosses the penguin to the next person. Everyone in the circle says, "Yes, AND..." and then the person now holding the penguin says, "Penguins are great BECAUSE..." 4) The penguin travels around the circle until you get sick of it, with everyone shouting, "Yes, AND..." in between "Penguins are great" statements. Why does this work? One of the great principles of improv is to never say no to anything. This opens up creative possibilities between the actors and allows a scene to develop. ("Doctor, may I amputate your leg?" "No, I'm the doctor!" End of scene. Versus: "Doctor, may I amputate your leg?" "Of course! And then you must let me return the favor." The scene continues.) The same is true with writing. If you're blocked, it's helpful to learn to say "yes" to your creative inspirations, no matter how ludicrous they may seem. Another way to think of it? "Penguins are great" helps you practice lying with enthusiasm, which is an essential skill for any writer.

Posted: 10/15/2008 3:10 AM PDT
talk to someone and play something called "The word game" They say a word and you say the first thing that pops into your head! Trust me, it works - and its also HILLARIOUS!