This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/3/2008 11:52 AM PDT
What jumps out at me from your list is the psychotic hairstylist -- that seems really original and interesting. Maybe you could start by writing a scene with the psychotic hairstylist. It wouldn't necessarily have to end up being how you actually start the story -- it wouldn't even have to go in the final story at all! But it might be a fun way to start getting into your characters and situation. When I'm working on a project with a lot of elements involved, like yours, I often like to start with one or two little pieces and write some "practice" scenes to get warmed up and start establishing a relationship with the story.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/2/2008 2:03 PM PDT
What I would love to do is wrote the story in chronological order then mix up all the times. If you do that you have to make sure that each chapter starts off with a date and time. It keeps your readers interest as only you will knnow what happens next.

Posted: 9/2/2008 4:13 AM PDT
Yes that's a brilliant idea. What if the only witness was murdered because (s)he was actually the person wo murdered the actress and somebody finds out. But the witness was only a pawn, they may have killed the person but it was on the orders of somebody else. WHO and WHY? I look forward to reading this. xxx

Posted: 8/30/2008 12:39 AM PDT
I like first imagining the location where the action takes place and begin "observing" the elements. If you have many or just a few elements, I think is important to have a main objective for your whole story. It does not matter if you ramble, are tangential as far as you keep loyal to the main goal.

Posted: 8/28/2008 7:17 PM PDT
Try an En Media Res (In the middle of things) beginning! They're great for starting things off with a bang!

Posted: 8/27/2008 5:17 AM PDT
I think rather that you should come up with a begining and go from there. Stephen King rarely plots his stories. He starts with a situation, an interesting situation. let's see... Take any of the things you mentioned and create a situation. The problem right now is you have too many elements and you need to focus. Since I am reading the bottom half of your list, I suggest the affair, but make the huysband not jealous because a jealous husband is a cliche. Also though don't make him a weak cuckold. That's also a cliche. In fact, focus on making the husband not a cliche and have an affair going on and that's the begining situation for your story. Scuba diving... Have the lovers meet because they were both scuba diving - they actually met after an incident of scuba diving. They met underwater! And of course someone saved someone else. But it was not a life threatening experience. No sharks. That would be a cliche. No cliches unless you are writing humor.

Posted: 8/26/2008 1:13 PM PDT
I thnk you should come up with an incredible ending first and write the story to meet up with its conclusion------------------------------------------ antigua glglglglglgglgl

Posted: 8/25/2008 8:20 PM PDT
Hi! I'm wanting to write a mystery...just for fun! I need a little help to get the ideas flowing..... I am thinking of a murder mystery with a sex in the city twist..... 2 detectives in Miami, Florida. (male and female) The murder of a high profile actress high profile actress A deserted Island off the Caribbean A love triangle A psychotic hairstylist The only witness is murdered. A stalker A 7 carat sapphire A secret An affair a jealous husband Scuba diving