This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:32 AM PST
And keep it brief.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/2/2009 4:33 AM PST
Yes, I see the problem. You don't want your readers to be bored by your explanations, but they have to know some of the facts to understand it well enough not to get lost in the sequel. I think it's better to say too little than too much. Don't try to summon the previous story: more then enough facts will become clear by just reading the sequel. Just describe the events and only mention the most important things. Make sure you let the characters tell the story and don't distanciate from them when you tell something they don't make a part of. Then let someone else read it. I know you, as a writer, know all the facts and background issues, but someone else can only see the words you wrote. If something's unclear for the reader, you can always add some sentences to the beginning of the story later. I hope some of this is usefull, good luck and have fun!

Posted: 11/1/2009 8:37 PM PST
I am writing a sequel to my current finished book, Moonless Howl (which I have not yet typed). I am trying to explain briefly the events of the previous installment, yet I don't want to leave my readers hanging on a block of boring text. Can someone provide any tips on how to expain this more casually to mantain the flow of my sequel?