This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/23/2010 1:10 AM PDT
If you don't want the hassel of coming up with a brand new language to make a name, try researching tribes that are already or have at one time been in existance and adapt the name. Try not to use anything too obvious and change the customs so you don't get any political or historical hassel. As for customs and religion, they tie in heavily together. Try looking at group dynamics first. In a tribe where women are respected or even revered as leaders or at least for their role as mothers female dieties tend to be more abundant. The animals that live around them or that they hunt also influence them. Landscape effects it (example: Mount Olympus in Greece) as well as whether or not they're close to the sea and how they interact with it if they do. Whether or not they have one central authority figure or a group of them also could effect customs. And, believe it or not, twhat they consider swear words or insults can also give insight into what they hold most dear. For example, in cultures where people revere female virtue, sladers against one's mother or sister are taken more harshly than those that don't. What a culture finds insulting says alot about them.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/17/2010 7:16 AM PDT
Where does the tribe live? What might have influenced them in the past (or how did they get to where they live now)? Coming up with a little history helps a lot, I find, when trying to name specifics like what you are asking.

Posted: 9/14/2010 5:47 PM PDT
I am writing a folk-tale for a class and I am having trouble making up a Tribe (name, customs, etc), especially the religion. Any suggestions?