This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Genre Café > Non-fiction > autobiography censorship
Posted: 9/10/2014 12:15 AM PDT
I am also attempting to write a book about myself. How does one go about fictionalizing it if I am talking about thing that really happened and the people that are/were involved in the events?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 12/11/2013 6:14 AM PST
You're absolutely right! No two recollections are going to overlap more than 60%.  My bio covers1987-92, and so far all the people mentioned in it remember the same events completely differently.  I've chosen to fictionallize the tedious bits, and combine and tweak other events just to make it readable. The voice/main character is skewed enough that it's clearly told though the lens of that voice, without sounding like revisionist history. (i.e. Marie Antoinette was a feminist, or "Inglourius Basterds" [sic] ) . I've had one person stop talking to me, and I suspect there will be more... Oh well. I didn't make a lot of friends then, and I'm not now. If you're offending people, you're probably doing something right.

Posted: 12/11/2013 5:15 AM PST
In the case of autobiography, I'd say definitely fictionalise.It's your story; you can do what you like. I have a slightly different problem in that I'm writing a biography of my mother, and she wants it as accurate as possible - reasonably enough - but her memories and those of other family members are not the same for certain events, so whatever I write, some of them are going to be crying out, 'That's fiction! It didn't happen like that!' Can't win. I'm going to end up offending some of them whatever I write, as I'll be effectively saying that I've chosen to ignore their version of events.

Posted: 12/1/2013 9:46 AM PST
That is a very good question. I changed the names of the characters slightly, and my story is humorous. I guess I don't have to worry about that until I'm published, and I'm not holding my breath....

Posted: 10/19/2013 7:17 AM PDT
I'm writing an autobiography that will hurt people included in my story.  How can I avoid this?
Should I transfer it to a fictional story?