This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 2/3/2011 4:01 PM PST

Beruthiel
There are also the Japanese hopping heads - but I can't remember their name!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/3/2011 4:00 PM PST

Beruthiel
How about some of the Classical (i.e. Greco-Roman) creatures: griffins gorgons harpies or Celtic: selki kelpies bean sidhe Sidhe in general

Posted: 12/31/2010 8:01 PM PST
Aurora - I'm looking for anything. I'd prefer things that are not as well known. I really only need 2-3 creatures, but I can't possibly research everything (and not everything on the internet is correct), so if you know of anything, please let me know. Crusoe - Exactly, thanks for the ideas. I'm not interested in vampires or demons or devils (they are far too popular in modern literature, no matter where they come from), but the others are things that I will look into.

Posted: 12/31/2010 10:54 AM PST
Mankind feared the dark for thousands of years before even the invention of writing. There's so much good mythology to draw inspiration from. Eastern mythology is rife with interesting creatures and haunts that aren't as familiar to a Western audience and old folk tales provide many examples of oddball creatures of calamitous intent. Here are a few off the top of my head: Kappa - lizard men of Japan Baba Yaga - The Russian witch Yoaguai - Chinese animal demons Jiang Shi - Chinese hopping vampire Vetala - A Hindu spirit that possesses corpses and reanimates them Jersey Devil - Creature from the New Jersey Pine Barrens

Posted: 12/27/2010 11:15 PM PST
Why don't you try making one up that way it is everything you want it to be. But if that is not an option for you what kind of creature are you looking for?

Posted: 12/26/2010 8:29 PM PST
I am in need of ideas for fantasy creatures that I can use. I am looking for anything that has not been done to death (*coughvampirescough*), and anything that is not copywrited by some other author already. Seriously, I will take any ideas. Mostly I am looking for "evil" creatures, but I will take anything. I have tried looking around the internet but I have only come up with a few that I actually like. If you know of any creatures I can use, I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!