This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 8/4/2008 12:57 PM PDT
Hello Karleigh, Well stepping outside of yourself (writing from a opposite sex position) is a tough and good challenge for writers. I am a romance story & novella writer. I got a challenge from one of my MySpace readers to write a story about a life event and feelings she is having. Well this I thought would be tough, but surprisingly it was easy to slip into the character. The story is Criss~Cross which is posted here. Here is my take on your opening for your conversation between your two characters: The next period bell rang as I started stacking my books. I could see Ellie three chairs ahead of me slipping her backpack over her shoulder and texting one of her friends. This was it, my one chance to catch up with her and say something, anything to break the ice. My heart was pounding in my chest as I passed each desk getting closer and closer. She had just pressed send and flipped her cell phone closed when I was side by side with her. "Oh, hi, I'm sorry I was blocking the isle. I wasn't paying attention. My girlfriend and I are texting each other about lunch" she said curling a lock of her blond hair behind her ear. "Oh, um, not a problem I am in no hurry to get to my next class" I said while franticly scanning my mind for the next words to follow before the biggest moment of my life is over in a flash with the girl of my dreams! "I think I've seen you. Yeah, you're in my next class right? Second row third chair? The smart one?" she said looking at me break into this huge smile. I couldn't believe my ears! She knew who I was, well kinda of! "Yeah, third chair. Part of the G Squad I guess" I said without thinking before I opened my mouth "G Squad?" She asked trying to figure out what I was talking about "Geek Squad aka G Squad" "O' I get it. You don't look like a geek to me. I kinda like the black hair swoop thing you got goin' on" she said slipping her arm through the other strap of her backpack. "Thanks" I said quickly. I was shaking like Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. I couldn't believe she said more than three words to me. "Well, I've gotta go. See you at next class." "Okay, bye" I said waving slowly. I watched as she disappeared into the crowd flowing out into the hallway. Hope this helps! ~Jonathon~
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/1/2008 11:25 AM PDT

Aloria
Know Thy Character! What I mean by this is that not all men are cold and emotionless. They can have emotions too, but what you really need to know are their motivations. Say Tim really likes this chick, he's been watching her for a long time and working himself up slowly to ask her out on a date, but he knows she doesn't date "his type" which happens to be nerdy. So Tim will try to act macho and do something painfully out of character such as this: Tim walked over to Elle's locker and leaned against the door next to hers with his elbow, a grin plastered across his lips as he stared down at her in terror. "Hey - I uh...heard... there's no choir practice tonight so um. Sounds like you don't have anything planned, right?" Here, Tim is trying to be assertive. He's failing miserably, but trying. Dialogue isn't just about what they say, but how they say it and the body language.

Posted: 7/31/2008 2:58 PM PDT
that fits perfectly thank you. and akwardness is what keeps life interesting.

Posted: 7/31/2008 2:58 PM PDT
awkwardness = "Ellie is it?" Then she just looks at him confused. And he's like, is that you're name? And she says yeah. But he is like, your portrayal of this dog is really good. How did you draw the lines like that?. YOu don't have to use that cuz it's weird, but like the more Ellie thinks it's awkward, the more your reader will think it is. So just explain her emotions as he is talking to her and no matter what he says it will be weird. If you wanted to get the point across that he is a looser anyway...

Posted: 7/31/2008 2:54 PM PDT
ah ha! He is the looser. You could have him like... weirdly comment on her art work. Make it all awkward. And at first she just thinks he is super weird. Then later she will need help in the class on a project that isn't her forte. Then she finds out he is actually really cool. He just gives off bad first impressions. I don't know if that is what you wanted to happen, but sounds good to me. I love awkwardness

Posted: 7/31/2008 2:42 PM PDT
actually she is the cool popular one and he is the loser but they are in art class together

Posted: 7/31/2008 12:54 PM PDT
yeah, I agree with you kristalee6, and if it's first encounter and he don't know her, only from her appearence as the (*insert here*) she behaves like, he could start off with something like: ''Hi, don't we take English Literature together?'' Also as K6 says, it depends on the personality, but if it's in school, I think that's the one to stick with, haha (: Well, it's won over me a few times - dunnow if that has something to do with me, or whatever.. Hmm, anyway if he's the cool, popular guy, and she's the opposite, it could be somewhere where they wouldn't be seen, and he could be all like: ''What you're reading?'' and ''Cool scrunhcies'' .. I dunnow, just kidding (:

Posted: 7/31/2008 10:51 AM PDT
Well, guys are super chill. It depends on how long they have known eachother.. first encounter or it's been a while but neither have said anything? That could change the whole start right there. I would say, if he has known who she is for a while he would probably come up with something like... hey I don't think I know your name.. or he could just be like, dude, you have some totally rad shoes. Kind of depends on the personality. ha ha. But if it's first encounter, I would say the guy would watch her for a little bit to see if there is something he can comment about her. Or kind of bump into her somehow and introduce himself.

Posted: 7/30/2008 3:53 PM PDT
ok so i have a girl named ellie and a guy named tim. they are 16 and are going to end up dating but first they need to have a conversation. i can come up with things for ellie to say but with tim i am lost because well he is a guy and i am not. he is also the one starting this conversation so what should he say?