This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 8/18/2010 1:13 AM PDT
I have to say thanks because its questions like these that are directing my research and helping develop my understanding of prisons and the general laws in place. plausibility is important so i got too make it work. the prison could perhaps work as a nicer prison, if this lends creditability to the concept.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/17/2010 9:22 PM PDT

Beruthiel
For "rubber ABC" see the article by Dmitry Sokolov-Mitrich, in which he interviews a guard at one of the Russian Federation's maximum security prisons, which is appended at the end of this webpage: http://www.hrpublishers.org/en/letter_to_ep/ I'm not sure what you mean by 'placing by language' - although many Western European countries are much better than the UK in this respect, it is still the case that most people are monoglot - and prisoners tend to be undr-educated compared to the general population (since crime is often resorted to because of poor employment prospects). As I mentioned above, take-up is likely to be higher in countries where prison conditions are poor - so the majority of your prisoners are unlikely to be either from the UK or those Western European countries, like the Netherlands and Germany, that have a strong tradition of teaching their citizens English. Are you putting your facility in International waters, or on land? I'm not aware of any Northern hemisphere territory that is not claimed by any nation (Antartica is different). And as for mooring a floating facility, I suggest you look at the costs of building oil rigs in these waters. I cannot see this facility as being a cheap option (which sems to be integral to your plot)! You might do better renting territory off either Greenland or the RF - perhaps Novaya Zemlya itself!? Either way, you will need to take the effects of Artic conditions seriously, though. Remember the USSR was able to establish (small) labour camps totally without fences or guards, simply by dumping prisoners somewhere renmote, with no way of getting to either civilisation or a food supply - they worked as required, because they were totally dependent on the food the authorities shipped in! Another problem I've just thought of: the European Declaration of Human Rights lays down basic minimums of conditions for prisoners. (Relatively recently, Scottish prisoners were awarded significant damages by the European Court because 'slopping out' was degrading, and so infringed their human rights.) As these rights include contact with family and with legal representation, arranging for this could be difficult - I'm assuming your facility is really a hell-hole, right? So I suppose there really is quite a problem in including any member states of the European Union... bummer!

Posted: 8/17/2010 3:36 AM PDT
Thanks for such a well thought out answer. The prison places by language which is how i explain the bulk of the inmates speaking English. Whats the rubber ABC? The facility is open to request or as just an extra punishment (no reduce in the case of the latter), sentencing to the prison is requested by the Judge or not at his discretion and then the committee in charge review the case, but seeing as it is a cost saving measure to ship them off a lot of governments approve it. Part of the story is poorly built attachments, lack of security and abuse of prisoners rights. As the sentencing takes place at the hands of the judge and only if they reach that prison then the conditions of the national prisons would be weighed. The territory is actually between the Norwegian sea and Greenland sea 1000 kilometers above Scotland south west of Svalbard. Thanks again though because these question are quite helpful. i also have not seen that film but from looking up some information it looks good.

Posted: 8/17/2010 2:16 AM PDT

Beruthiel
Language is another point: multilingual guards are likely to be expensive. So, are your prisoners segregated by nationality? Or does the administration use the "rubber ABC"? If transfer to this is voluntary, then problems regarding disparity of sentencing are reduced. Current prison conditions across Europe vary wildly though, so you would have to expect a disproportionate take-up, as what would be hell for someone from one country, would be paradise for another. I'm a little worried about the practicalities of 'international waters' too; the Atlantic is not a nice place to build things and it tends to be expensive. Or were you thinking somewhere like the Med? Have you seen "Novaya Zemlya" [Terra Nova], directed by Alexander Melnik? It's set in 2013, and its basic plot is a UN organised penal experiment; however, since it is modelled on the Russian 'colony' model, language issues etc. don't apply. Incidentally, the prison regime in the opening scenes seem to be modelled on that at Sol-Iletsk.

Posted: 8/16/2010 8:21 AM PDT
Maybe i should rewrite the question. Sorry for the poor manner in which my first post was written and thanks for the advice so far Beruthiel. The prison is a publicity stunt, main wing is what the inmates call the catalog picture, but the rest of TIFFACOE (The Incarceration Facilities For All Countries Of Europe) is where security and guards are down as costs are cut. The prison is a welcome to the nations of Europe and a statement of the tough on crime stance of a certain politician, the villain Victor Van Dal. Now the place has been bankrolled by a wealthy family and the return is that the prison charges 18 thousand euros a year per prisoner, rough statistics but an inmate in America costs 22,000. This prison is out in international waters, once your out there all rights are granted and removed by the warden. This is quite the cost cutter. The prisons fearsome and immediate reputation lures in inmates when judges start offering a reduced sentence if served in TIFFACOE prison. So i was wondering what kind of obstacles would i encounter making this a believable concept.

Posted: 8/15/2010 5:57 PM PDT

Beruthiel
Now? Not really. The nearest thing tried was Spandau Prison, where those convicted of Nazi war crimes were held. That had only 4 nations involved in the running of it, and the buraucracy was horrendous. Without standardised penal codes or conditions of detention, it couldn't work. Imagine Prisoner A (who committed crime under jurisdiction of nation X) sharing cell with Prisoner B (same crime, but in nation Y) not only having different lengths of sentence, but different rights in matters like visits, what can be kept in cell etc. etc. ! And why would such a place need to exist? Extradition between member states of the EU works pretty well.

Posted: 8/11/2010 6:48 PM PDT
Could a prison for all europe exist