This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/10/2008 2:03 PM PDT
I think if helps, when you are trying to limit back story in a novel (which is a good idea if you don't want to get bogged down) is to concentrate on present action. Anything important about the character's past can come through something they are doing right now. For instance, if you want to talk about who is dead and who is alive, you could always have a character walk down the stairway of her home, trying not to look at the faded yellow rectangles of where the deceased photo's used to hang-- after the funeral she couldn't bear to look at them anymore. This gives us the information we need while grounding the character in present day action--- walking down the stairs-- without taking a huge break from the story to say, "So and so passed away quite tragically three years ago when the doctors found a large tumor growing in her bladder."
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/9/2008 9:06 PM PDT
"you can convey thoughts, feelings, ideas, you can't convey on screen" this was exactly WHY i wanted to write it...i started doing point of veiw blurbs during the climax (what's going on in their head) and loved it...that's why im going to release it as a book first!

Posted: 9/9/2008 7:08 PM PDT
well, i was actually considering eliminating some of the back story in the screenplay, which is why i'm writing it as a book...where i'm at in the backstory and you'll pardon my geekiness here (where George Lucas was at at the end of Return of the Jedi...he knew what he wanted for Ani Skywalker's backstory...it just wasn't carved in stone, or in space for that matter) in the screenplay i just explained the backstory in my notes (i've changed the backstory more than the original!) flashbacks could get confusing...i personally like them in film, sometimes hate them in books...you're not going to know where you are at in the story. i have already started writing the opening scene with some changes as the first chapter...but i feel i have to give away some of the secrets of the story right in the beginnning...and i tend to skip around when i write so chapter two....could occur later. most of the backstory is kind of boring (the character's family history...who's dead, who's not the whole schmoodle!)

Posted: 9/9/2008 5:15 PM PDT
roseamongthorns: I have to admit, I'm a little envious! I wish I had a completed screenplay to work from when writing my novel. Since films and novels are both narrative art-forms, the basic structure of your screenplay might translate well into a novel. You say a lot of your screenplay is back-story. Are you thinking about getting rid of some of the back-story when you convert it into a novel? If not, how did you handle the back-story in the screenplay? Flashbacks? Narration? You can do either in a novel, but flashbacks are probably the most engaging way to go. What is the opening scene in the screenplay? Can you write that as the first chapter of your novel, and then go from there? The big benefit of writing a novel vs. a screenplay (in my opinion) is that you can work with characters' thoughts, feelings, sensations, etc. in ways you can't on the screen, where you have to literally show everything. Enjoy the process! (As for the practical stuff: To remove a project from WEbook, go to Edit Project Settings under my TOOLS in the project. "Remove" is all the way at the bottom, on the right. Of course, you can only remove your own projects from WEbook, and you can't remove a group project that has submissions from other writers, even if you're the project leader -- you can remove your submissions from any project you lead, though, by using Manage Submissions in my TOOLS,)

Posted: 9/9/2008 1:46 PM PDT
i am in the process of converting a screenplay (that I wrote) into a book form. I'm having problems getting started. alot of it is there is alot of backstory to the whole thing and i'm having trouble making the pieces fit. if you would like to help, the project is you are loved...forever.NOTE; the book is religiously based so if that sort of thing does not interest you, please don't post rude comments on mine. thanks. also I am trying to delete two of my projects on another post. how do i go about doing this?